Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was maybe 5 minutes out on my way to work this morning when the CEL came on and the throttle behavior changed. I was able to maintain speed but couldn't accelerate. If I shifted down it would again let me hold speed at the higher rpm's but no acceleration. If I released the throttle the bike would slow until I reapplied throttle at which point again it would maintain speed but not allow me to increase speed.

I'm guessing a throttle fault was detected and the ECU locked the speed to prevent uncontrolled acceleration. Anyone else experience this? What was the fix? (new throttle I'm guessing)

I stopped the bike, shut down, restarted, and the throttle started working normally again. CEL is still on but I wouldn't expect it to shut down for some time even if the fault condition has cleared.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure whet you're refering to when you mention that the CEL came on, but I had the same throttle issue last week. Left the house in first gear, changed into 2nd gear and no throttle- then the throttle did kick in but wasn't able to rev very high at all(nothing over 4rpm from what I recall). Orange engine light came on, stoppped the bike- same issue. Finally hobbled it along to work, called Ducati shop and they said it could be throttle error.
Long sory short- took the bike in, it's still there as they've ordered a new throttle as this seems to be the error after they plugged in the diagnsostics. Supposed to have it back tomorrow.
I was maybe 5 minutes out on my way to work this morning when the CEL came on and the throttle behavior changed. I was able to maintain speed but couldn't accelerate. If I shifted down it would again let me hold speed at the higher rpm's but no acceleration. If I released the throttle the bike would slow until I reapplied throttle at which point again it would maintain speed but not allow me to increase speed.

I'm guessing a throttle fault was detected and the ECU locked the speed to prevent uncontrolled acceleration. Anyone else experience this? What was the fix? (new throttle I'm guessing)

I stopped the bike, shut down, restarted, and the throttle started working normally again. CEL is still on but I wouldn't expect it to shut down for some time even if the fault condition has cleared.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Is there any known "magic handshake" to get the error code to display on the dash? It would be great to know the origin of the Check Engine Light without a trip to the service department.

Sometimes I miss when motorcycles were simple, visceral machines that took you on a break from the complexities of the world, not a continuation of the world's complexities. I was oggling a Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V online just the other day and admiring it's lack of technical sophistication even though the moto review mag was downing it for not having all the electro wizardry of the competition.

Reactions: rider414

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not sure whet you're refering to when you mention that the CEL came on.
CEL - Check Engine Light (you referred to it as the "Yellow Light", which also works).

In this case... the CEL Cleared yesterday so the issue was intermittent - not sure if that means I shouldn't worry about it... I guess if it happens again I'll ask for a new throttle, but I let my dealer know at least that it had happened.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any known "magic handshake" to get the error code to display on the dash? It would be great to know the origin of the Check Engine Light without a trip to the service department.

Sometimes I miss when motorcycles were simple, visceral machines that took you on a break from the complexities of the world, not a continuation of the world's complexities. I was oggling a Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V online just the other day and admiring it's lack of technical sophistication even though the moto review mag was downing it for not having all the electro wizardry of the competition.
Not that I've found... seems like a technique to insure you have to see your service department regularly. They do the same thing on cars but at least you can buy an obd reader to grab codes (and a lot of other stuff if you spend a bit more for a better reader).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I probably be getting it checked out as you'd hate f the same thing to happen when you're 500 miles from home. $0.02
CEL - Check Engine Light (you referred to it as the "Yellow Light", which also works).

In this case... the CEL Cleared yesterday so the issue was intermittent - not sure if that means I shouldn't worry about it... I guess if it happens again I'll ask for a new throttle, but I let my dealer know at least that it had happened.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I probably be getting it checked out as you'd hate f the same thing to happen when you're 500 miles from home. $0.02
Wisdom... if my dealer was closer than 2 1/2 hours away I'd probably do that.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Any unusual behavior from the throttle response in the weeks leading up to this event or did it just happen out of the blue without any prior symptoms?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just completely out of the blue- no warning. Rode it two weeks prior for a good 3 miler and good as gold.
Any unusual behavior from the throttle response in the weeks leading up to this event or did it just happen out of the blue without any prior symptoms?

·
Registered
81 Posts
had the same thing a few weeks ago. Went to the dealer, they hooked it up and found an error in the throttle sensor-which was replaced under warranty.
Mine was the second one with that problem

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Out of the blue for me too... and since it happened I've got a hundred miles with no further issue. I'm hoping it's just an over-sensitive fault detection routine.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it just happened again... so it's an officially a problem now (in my book - once can be a glitch... 2 times in 3 days is a problem).

Again once I stopped and restarted the bike the throttle operation returned to normal... this time I noticed that the throttle seemed 'touchy' before the CEL lit up, I was in sport mode and the bike was jumpy at low throttle inputs in 1st and 2nd gear - so something is definitely up.

After restarting - the throttle started feeling more normal.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have limped a couple of broken bikes to dealerships in the past when I was younger and rasher - and I bet you have too - but I suggest you don't do so in this case given the distance. I'd have it towed. Not worth getting killed or maimed. Good luck man.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Just thought of something. DaveK, have you checked your fuses and relays are securely in? Plenty of "good vibrations" with our bikes, so if any particular fuse isn't fitting real snug to begin with...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Limpy

That's limp home mode. As you found, you can reboot the computer and it will reset and go back to normal. The CEL will eventually turn off, but the code will be stored for some time.

I'd document it with your dealer, and if it happens again take it in and get the code read and the faulty part replaced. Oh, it happened again - not surprised.

Didn't you already get your APS (throttle) replaced (maybe it was Chris)?

This sounds exactly like what happened with mine. Replaced in May at 6,861 miles.

Cheers, Scott

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's limp home mode. As you found, you can reboot the computer and it will reset and go back to normal. The CEL will eventually turn off, but the code will be stored for some time.

I'd document it with your dealer, and if it happens again take it in and get the code read and the faulty part replaced. Oh, it happened again - not surprised.

Didn't you already get your APS (throttle) replaced (maybe it was Chris)?

This sounds exactly like what happened with mine. Replaced in May at 6,861 miles.

Cheers, Scott
It happened again on a long trip over the 4th, we were close to Columbus so I stopped at the dealer and they diagnosed it as APS failure. They didn't have the part though so it's getting changed by my dealer this friday at the bikes 18k service. I wonder if that'll help the occasional hard start issue too... I think I read that could be caused by throttle misbehavior.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts