Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the DVT's come with a helmet cable like the Gen 2's did?

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Helmet Cable? I don't think so... I'm not exactly sure what you mean but there are no unidentified cables on the bike that I've found (that look like they might be suitable to hang a helmet on).

I hang mine on the right mirror, with the visor open the mirror sticks out of the face... not going to fall off accidentally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is supposed to be a helmet cable but it was missing on my bike. Dealer found one for me but I have never used it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The older bikes came with a small cable in the tool kit and could be looped under the seat, as shown in the manual, but alas there was no cable with my bike. The mirror is OK but if I am close by I strap it to the handhold between right signal and pipe. If you position the d-rings out, it is easy enough to strap it there. Otherwise if touring and have a rear sack, panniers or none, I found a perfect cable lock.

Abus Multiloop Comb9ination - ABUS Mobile Security - Multicombiloop 215 (6.1') Black Moto

I have a cable lock and padlock but I found this one that can loop and secure in myriad ways. It's a metal lock with a rubber padding around it. Has two places where it connects to the lock so you can have one loop around the grab rails, a bag and through the sleeve of your jacket and then one loop around the front of your helmet. They make a keyed version and a combo. I went for the combo just to not hassle with another key. Since it has a capped/pointed end, it's easy to thread in and around and if not carrying any bags, it's easy to loop around the racks/back of the seat for use when stopped, without it flopping around and damaging anything.

I got this for touring if I stop to take a hike, etc... To semi secure helmet, jacket and waterproof bag. Trek Bicycle Stores on line were the only vendors that stocked Abus when I got mine though I do not see one in stock right now.

Attachments

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I never got any use out of that tiny helmet cable that came with the bike. I use a hefty spiral cable bike lock for my helmet and gear. It won't stop a determined thief, but it's a sturdy looking deterrent.

I lock up my gear almost everywhere I go. My friends rib me about it sometimes, but I had a helmet stolen off my bike years ago, and all it takes is one asshole.

Reactions: Florida lime

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah my '13 had the loop cable, wasn't sure if the DVT's were including one. Apparently not.

·
Registered
348 Posts
owners manual page 321 talks about the helmet cable.
I could never find it.
I told my dealer about this, they stole a cable off some other bike, but it didn't actually fit around the metal knob under the seat. I also didn't get the chain tension checker :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
I noticed the same entry in the owners manual just a couple of days ago. I too searched for the pin that the cable is supposed to loop around and I came to the conclusion the manual wasn't updated for the 2015 DVT like someone else pointed out for another topic.
I did discovered that a 1/8" plastic protected wire cable with loops on each ends can be looped around the face protector of a full face helmet and the other loop secured around the passenger seat locking post. It'll keep the honest honest and slow down everyone else. Since the cable isn't thick and no additional lock is necessary it can be stored in the storage compartment under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I noticed the same entry in the owners manual just a couple of days ago. I too searched for the pin that the cable is supposed to loop around and I came to the conclusion the manual wasn't updated for the 2015 DVT like someone else pointed out for another topic.
I did discovered that a 1/8" plastic protected wire cable with loops on each ends can be looped around the face protector of a full face helmet and the other loop secured around the passenger seat locking post. It'll keep the honest honest and slow down everyone else. Since the cable isn't thick and no additional lock is necessary it can be stored in the storage compartment under the passenger seat.
I bought some steel cable with a plastic jacket on it to make my own cable. I was going to make a bracket to be able to hook two helmets onto but I never thought of using the center post on the passenger seat. I'll have to try that. It would be really nice if it's tall enough for two cables to loop around.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My 2014 came with the cable. It's all but useless IMO. Too short and not very secure really. I ordered a decent retractable cable lock. I like it, it fits nicely in the front fairing storage compartment, has a 36" cable and the retraction feature is nice to manage the cable.

But I'm interested in the one johnrg posted. Ordered one from here just now:
ABUS MultiCombiLoop 215 Cable Lock from BikeBling.com

A little cheaper than the OEM link.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here's the a-hole response:

Get yourself the Ducati topcase, it's big enough to hold 1 helmet and it locks! I wear a Shoei XL RF1200 and it will shut closed and works great. For quick stops where you're staying by the bike, the mirrors work but it's not 100% safe, really. Best helmet hanging spot - hang it off either footpeg. It's a secure spot and if it falls it doesn't have far to go.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The top case from the Urban pack will hold two medium sized helmets with Sena headsets hanging off of the side of them.

I like the idea of being able to lock up the jackets though. There's never enough space to store jackets and helmets inside cases. I can also see the need to lock a helmet to the bike when the cases aren't on board.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The helmet cable is under the seat. Of course everyone wants to pop the seat every time they get off the bike to lock their helmet.

Reactions: Pampero

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the a-hole response:

Get yourself the Ducati topcase, it's big enough to hold 1 helmet and it locks! I wear a Shoei XL RF1200 and it will shut closed and works great. For quick stops where you're staying by the bike, the mirrors work but it's not 100% safe, really. Best helmet hanging spot - hang it off either footpeg. It's a secure spot and if it falls it doesn't have far to go.
I don't do top cases, I don't like the way they look.

The helmet cable is under the seat. Of course everyone wants to pop the seat every time they get off the bike to lock their helmet.
Not on my DVT. Appears to have been deleted for the DVT by Ducati based on other replies here. I like my DVT but there are a few features from my beloved 2013 that I miss, such as the helmet cable and the cubby compartment that the '13 had right front faring topside.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't do top cases, I don't like the way they look.
Sorry to hear that. I gave up on worrying about looks after I got used to the convenience and functionality of just tossing stuff in there for daily / weekend rides, it's so much nicer than a tankbag or wearing a backpack or putting the side bags on. Not to mention throwing the helmet and gloves in there when you stop off somewhere to eat or get coffee.

I also have an alaska sheepskin seat cover, I got over the fuzzy looks of it after a 300mi ride and not having my ass feel like somebody sandpapered it.

:)

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Yes sir. It's a useless feature, real PITA and not worth the bother. The old style D Ring locks (most Japanese bikes and all BMW touring rigs had them) were practical but the cable supplied with the Multi is a total afterthought.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I think this looks handy. Pics show it opens quite wide as well, wide enough for handle bars etc because it opens outwards instead of in.

I use this and attach it to the passenger foot peg. Has worked well for me for years...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts