Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for guys with the above wheels - how are they holding up to long term use? does the paint begin to flake off after a few trips in the rain, or do the spokes go rusty? How well do they cope with British type winters?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I don't know about British winters, but my Alpina's have held up perfectly for 7 Boston winters.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Here's a question for guys with the above wheels - how are they holding up to long term use? does the paint begin to flake off after a few trips in the rain, or do the spokes go rusty? How well do they cope with British type winters?

Thank you!
Alu Alpinas on my GT for 2.5 years ~20,000 miles
Spokes on front wheel have some pitting, rear wheel not as bad.
Stainless spokes not available afaik
Slight leaking from the Spoke Nipple O rings began fairly early and has gradually increased.
I recently tested the front wheel submerged in a tub of water and 12 spokes had slight leaks which amounted to around 2-3psi loss per day.

The roads in my region can be a bit rough at times so perhaps that adds to the stress on the Orings ? However even on perfect roads I think some spoke Orings will eventually leak over time.

The anodized coating on the rims and hubs is holding up ok, but requires care when washing as its recommended not to use any harsh detergents. Its a mat finish so chain lube or brake dust etc smudges rather than wipes off, so needs to be washed off. I believe the carbon matrix rims are a gloss finish which would be easier to clean.

Check with your Alpina dealer in the UK and ask what the policy is if the wheels ever need refurbishment. Maybe Alpina will cover it ?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing that Cambodia is a pretty tough environment?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

Thank you!
My Alpinas went on the bike back in May 2007. 10+ years and about 19K miles later, they keep pressure as well as any wheel in our garage and have remained straight and true. A close inspection the other day showed no chipping paint or rust on the spokes (i.e. black rim with silver spokes).

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Faba wheels look to be a better solution to sealing the spokes to me, it seems to be more secure and simpler to just form a chamber around the nipple, to seal it. Pity they are so expensive, and it's a shame that the rims are not available separately.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
I have 2 customers with them 1 monster that gets little love but ridden in all conditions, the other is an aprilia sxv550 motard that is getting the snot beat out of it on the track.

The monster has had zero issues in 20,000ish miles and I cannot see any cosmetic damage under the layers of dust/grime. No out of true or air leaks.

The sxv has the carbon wrapped wheels and they have also had no issues with air loss or out of true (oem wheels needed truing once a year). the carbon wrap wheel has a red decal that covers 1/2 the wheel and this decal has been torn by tire changes or rough use.

Not much lighter than oem but if you want a well made tubeless spoke wheel I do think they are good wheels. Though I prefer a set of forged aluminum wheels which also improve handling,braking and acceleration and cost about the same.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Faba wheels look to be a better solution to sealing the spokes to me, it seems to be more secure and simpler to just form a chamber around the nipple, to seal it. Pity they are so expensive, and it's a shame that the rims are not available separately.
Are the Faba that expensive now ?
In 2014 Faba quoted me Euro 850 for a set of tubeless wheels for the GT, axial calipers (not radial). They use OEM hubs laced to their rims.
If I sent them my hubs, the price was Euro 600.
Main reason I didn't go with that option was because I wanted silver rims, and Faba rims are black.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Europe, Alpinas can be found for around 1350 Euros, but FaBas for 1550.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I fitted the FABA at first maintenance, after only 1000 km. Now my GT has more than 70,000 km and has never presented pressure loss from the rims (once, but it was a tire valve problem). I use the bike all year and once also faced the dirt tracks in Morocco.
I live in Italy, near Milan. Winter is cold and wet, with salted roads to prevent ice. In this case extraordinary cleaning and so the rims and rays are still in excellent condition.

.... it's a shame that the rims are not available separately.
The rims actually are DID, there is the logo printed on the black rims. I do not know about nipples.
FABA assembles them with original hubs.
FABA has the original hubs as it provided Ducati with the original sportclassic wheels.

.... I wanted silver rims, and Faba rims are black.
Normally they are black, but I have them silver. Supplied with a small extra charge.

In Europe, Alpinas can be found for around 1350 Euros, but FaBas for 1550.
I'm not up to prices, but in my opinion the relationship is the opposite.

P.S. I have no business relationship with FABA, apart from purchasing the rims seven years ago.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Good info on the Faba's Mozo
Re the color, Faba told me they could make the Black DID rims Silver, but the resulting finish was sometimes poor. So they recommended to stay with black.
However, it sounds like yours turned out ok.

Interestingly, if you really want to save weight with the Alpina spoke wheels, ie get the lighter carbon matrix rims, they only come in black unless one paints them.

Another option to rid the GT of heavy steel rims is aftermarket Alu rims laced to OEM hubs with SS spokes. Around $1k in parts iirc. Then use one of the spoke sealing methods to go tubeless.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good info on the Faba's Mozo
Re the color, Faba told me they could make the Black DID rims Silver, but the resulting finish was sometimes poor. So they recommended to stay with black.
However, it sounds like yours turned out ok.
They say so because there have been complaints, there is a discussion with photos right on this forum. In fact, by removing the black paint, the DID rim junction appears. I had noticed it when I bought them and, frankly, forgot until reading the discussion of the complaint. For me it's like a "mouche", a beauty mark.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that Kineo are the best solution if one wants to stay with the spokes, but the price is way out - around £2500 in the UK.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts