Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on a pair of Dunlop Roadmasters on my 99 ST4 about 2 weeks ago. Just returned from the annual ST Madness gathering in Baker City, Oregon from Roseville, CA near Sacramento. We hit every kind of weather imaginable in the 5 days I was gone. From hot in Calif. to very cold and wet in Oregon. I traveled with a friend who has a radar detector and following him much of the way. We were flying on very desolate roads so did alot of high speed traveling. The second day we hit a downpour and a hail storm.

I was very impressed with the tires the entire trip. Coming into Baker City from the mountains on a very windy steep road in torrential down pour was quite an experience. The tires were amazing in this much rain. No slip outs at all. We took a desolate road to Bend, OR and got to really stretch the Ducs legs. Nice high speed sweepers and the bike handled very well, nice and stable. Coming back into Calif, it got pretty warm and we found a road that was very twisty and desolate for a very long time (Bucks Lake Road from Quincy to Oroville). I was able to get into a rhythm an really push the tires. The pavement was smooth and the tires gripped very well.

After 2000 miles they are not showing much wear at all. I think these may be the best tires I have tried on my bike (Avon Storms, Pilot Powers). I recommend the Dunlops highly.

A few pics of the Mad Ones including Paco the dog who came all the way from the SF bay area on a Multistrada! Go Paco!

Mike

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
I recognize Bill Wahl and Urs in the photo. It sounds like I missed quite a trip.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bill,
Missed you and Wolfie thats for sure. Nice group of derelicts we are!

We had a nice time, but the weather was very unexpected for me. 42 degrees and rain over the mountains on sunday with snow on the peaks around us. I got rather chilled and sat inside a station in John Day savoring my hot cider on the way home! I see heated gear coming my way.

I had never been to eastern oregon. I didnt realize how desolate it was. Great riding though. I enjoyed the riding alot.

Get better soon, I want to see you riding again.

Mike

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
That's a very nice looking brood of Ducs.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Dunlops on my ST4s also. I have about 2k miles on them and they still look new. I have not ridden in the rain yet, but on the dry pavement they are very nice. Smooth ride and confidence inspiring in the curves.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1. I put those on the Falco earlier this year. Nice tire! I'll be putting them on the ST2 soon.

·
Registered
494 Posts
No offense. But after 2K miles all of the tires I have ever owned looked "like new". They seem to fall off quickly once they near the end of their expected lives. Mine always seem to look good up until about 5K then go downhill fast. (But I have never owned a set of RoadSmarts).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These 2K miles were not typical. We were averaging 90 mph for hours with blasts up much higher than that. But you are right that it is really too early to tell how long the tires would last. I was mainly impressed with the overall performance in varying conditions (cold, hot, dry, very wet, hail, etc.)
Mike

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with Roadsmarts compared to Metzeler Roadtecs? I need to replace my Michelin Roads and am not sure whether I want the Dunlops or the Metzelers. The bike is an ST2 by the way.
Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
I run Pirelli Stradas which are very similar to the Metzelers. I had a very bad experience with the Roadsmarts, so bad that I complained to Dunlop and they sent me out another set. It must have been the pavement out here or something, but they felt dangerously slick on wet pavement, especially below 70F. They would do a slide then stick and then slide again thing in the wet around turns at half the speed I could manage with the Stradas in comparable conditions. This was on rough asphalt and rain-grooved concrete so maybe they just don't work so well at lower temps on rough pavement, I don't know. Below about 40F they would perform almost as badly in the dry as they did in the wet. I got a little over 5K out of both the front and rear and was glad to replace them, I had no faith in them in the wet and lower temperatures and made my commute nearly intolerable. They were a bit stickier than the Strada in the dry, especially at higher temps (>90F) where the Strada seems to start sliding around more, IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
No offense. But after 2K miles all of the tires I have ever owned looked "like new". They seem to fall off quickly once they near the end of their expected lives. Mine always seem to look good up until about 5K then go downhill fast. (But I have never owned a set of RoadSmarts).
I tried a set of Dunlop Qualifiers (yes, I know they aren't a ST tire). They wore evenly and were at the wear bars at 2,400 miles. I now have a set of Roadsmarts with 2,000 miles and they look barely used.

·
Registered
204 Posts
... but they felt dangerously slick on wet pavement, especially below 70F. They would do a slide then stick and then slide again thing in the wet around turns at half the speed I could manage with the Stradas in comparable conditions. This was on rough asphalt and rain-grooved concrete so maybe they just don't work so well at lower temps on rough pavement, I don't know. Below about 40F they would perform almost as badly in the dry as they did in the wet. ....
Thanks for that Superchkn. Up here, alot of our riding can be below 70F, although below 40F I tend to stay home. ;) Several of the guys I ride with are on Metzeler Roadtecs and I think I am definitely leaning that way myself now.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I recognize Bill Wahl and Urs in the photo. It sounds like I missed quite a trip.
given the unusual (bad) weather this year, sounds like we're better off waiting until next year, especially if it's going to be in California as some are already talking about.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
given the unusual (bad) weather this year, sounds like we're better off waiting until next year, especially if it's going to be in California as some are already talking about.
You missed our two Columbus Day weekend snow rides in eastern Oregon in 2003 and 2007. It is all part of the PNW "character building" riding experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a question and here looks like a good place to post. I run Bridgestone battlax on my St4 and have logged about 6500 miles on them(rode them in rain and cold weather). They seem to have prefomed well for me but I'm always open to bigger and better things. So I see that Dunlop's are a fav. any other tires that stand out ?

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
I have a question and here looks like a good place to post. I run Bridgestone battlax on my St4 and have logged about 6500 miles on them(rode them in rain and cold weather). They seem to have prefomed well for me but I'm always open to bigger and better things. So I see that Dunlop's are a fav. any other tires that stand out ?
Many of us like the Avon Storms for performance, but their mileage sucks. I only got about 4,000 miles off the rear tire of my last sets. Others have recently reported getting even less.

If you are getting 6,500 miles off a tire and it performs to your satisfaction, I would stick with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ya thats kinda what I was thinking too but since this is my first Duc and first time needing to by a new tire just wanted some more input. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts