Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to dump old fuel from the tank?
I siphoned out from the top as much as I could, now to get the rest out.
Am I stuck just removing the tank and it being a mess?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
If your skillful with a syphon hose you can reach the low spots and get 90% of it. Then put some fresh fuel and siphon it again and the percentage of old fuel left in the tank will be practically nothing. If you don’t want to remove the tank that’s good enough.

·
Registered
135 Posts
First let us know what your objective is (maintenance where the tank comes off, or just a refresh of stale fuel). I've had my bikes in storage during foreign assignments and provided they had fuel stabilizer in them never had an issue upon start up. In case of maintenance and wanting to get inside the tank, most Ducatis have a separate drain valve so you can get the last drop out of the tank.

·
Registered
548 Posts
There's no drain on the 1198 but if you need to syphon out the old fuel surely you need to replace the filter at a minimum?

Take the tank off the bike, easy job, remove the fuel pump assembly from underneath and then drain the remains from the large hole while it's apart and assess the condition of the pump assembly as it's mostly plastic

·
Administrator
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am doing a full replacement of the fuel pump. Thats the objecttive. Pulling injectors and cleaning them as well. I am tearing it all down, cleaning or replacing, and back together.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 1198R is scheduled for maintenance next month, good to know there's no drain valve.
Anyhow, as indicated, pull the fuel pump assembly. Be cautious when re-installing since the gasket ring (green on most bikes) can swell or get pinched, so it might be best to have an extra one handy. As a minimum, use a dab of Vaseline to re-install.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My 1198R is scheduled for maintenance next month, good to know there's no drain valve.
Anyhow, as indicated, pull the fuel pump assembly. Be cautious when re-installing since the gasket ring (green on most bikes) can swell or get pinched, so it might be best to have an extra one handy. As a minimum, use a dab of Vaseline to re-install.
If i pull the pump assembly i always use a genuine new O ring, the rear header is right below it, it's just not worth the risk......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts