Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Since that fluourescent green I used doesn't work with my new paintjob, I need to pull the sprocket cover. I can't think of how to remove it since the rear stand goes in there?

Am I over thinking this? Can I just pull it off (the six nuts) with the bike on the sidestand?

:think::think:

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Well you certainly can on a 916 so I would say that you can, as it is the same basic design.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I just have visions of the whole wheel coming off with the axle and sprocket nuts pulled and the bike on the sidestand LOL...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheel nut is on the right hand side.
Yah but the wing nut (i.e., me) will be on the left side unbolting the stuff, so I just in my head see the rear wheel falling off and the wingnut dying a horrible death under his killer Ducati gone mad...

Being serious (and never having done this sort of thing before), if I remove the left side (swingarm) nut...what's keeping the axle+rear wheel from sliding out?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't own a Superbike, but was able to pull up the parts manual at Ducati Omaha. My eye tells me there's a snap ring inside the eccentric, but whether that's holding the axle in the eccentric or not....at your own risk. You can't remove the sprocket retainer without removing the axle nut?

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't own a Superbike, but was able to pull up the parts manual at Ducati Omaha. My eye tells me there's a snap ring inside the eccentric, but whether that's holding the axle in the eccentric or not....at your own risk. You can't remove the sprocket retainer without removing the axle nut?
Yah that's exactly my probelm, I've been staring at that exact image (I printed it:)) for days and it's just not clear to my eye. If the clip thing is doing what it looks like, in combination with the sidestand putting negative pressure (wheel pushing in/down, sidestand holding it in place) it should be ok, but I don't want to find out the hard way...

I really should just figure out a stand that will lift the rear without the rear stand, I could also tackle the swingarm hub then (put my mag eccentric in...without a $1,000 bill at the dealer)...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shawn, I'm pretty sure your axle won't slide out if you pull the sprocket retainer.

If you're having doubts why don't you just reverse your rear stand and put it on the right side of the bike?
Awesome idea Matt...I'll check tomorrow and hopefully there aren't clearance issues with the bodywork or anything else...

Cool:cool:

PS can you just tell me the part number for that bolt, I'll just buy one at the dealer and ship it from there. That also leaves me with a fully functional stock exhaust if I ever got DOTed. I feel like an idiot here...let's just end it. Get me the part number...

·
9,757 Posts
Awesome idea Matt...I'll check tomorrow and hopefully there aren't clearance issues with the bodywork or anything else...

Cool:cool:

PS can you just tell me the part number for that bolt, I'll just buy one at the dealer and ship it from there. That also leaves me with a fully functional stock exhaust if I ever got DOTed. I feel like an idiot here...let's just end it. Get me the part number...
Ha, don't worry about it man. I'll just pick one up, it's only a bolt.

I just checked the factory service manual and they remove the rear wheel when operating on the rear sprocket.

In any case if your rear stand is reversible you shouldn't have to worry at all about the rear wheel. Just pop the stand in and go to work on the other side (don't shake the bike around or anything though lol).

Having looked at the diagram for a while now and having gone over the factory procedure I'd be quite wary of removing the sprocket retainer with the bike on the sidestand. Once you remove the axle nut I think things are more or less free to move around. Sorry I can't offer any better advice. Of all the nuts and bolts I've molested over the years I've never had to remove my rear sprocket (weird huh?)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That just means you're good on the throttle.

Actually my rear seems ok but I use wax to lube now and whenever I check cold it feels dry even if I doust it...I know wax needs heat and nothing is bent out of shape....sprocket is fine as is chain...so is that how it's supposed to be?

Just seems wierd I get no oil when I check the chain...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Ha, don't worry about it man. I'll just pick one up, it's only a bolt.
If you're talking about the small ~M10 O2 sensor plugs, that's what I thought too when I lost one out of my pipes. I've tried M10 bolts in three different thread pitches, plus standard, with no luck. Placed an order for a replacement plus spare at 12 bucks a pop. Good luck....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts