Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an oil change on my recently purchased ST3 and when I started the bike and let in run for about 5 min. afterwards, I got an oil leak coming from near the filter. When I bought the OEM filter from the dealer, they also sold me a small, aluminum O-ring but didn't mention what it was for. As I was installing the new filter, I didn't see where this ring would go and figured it might be for the oil screen that I did not clean out on this oil change. Was this O-ring to fit around the port on the filter? The filter already has the rubber O-ring installed at the top. Also, I hand tightened the oil filter rather than using an oil filter tool. I always change the oil in my cars and bikes, hand-tightening the filters in place, and have never had this problem before.

If that ring was to be installed around the filter port, now my question is how can I take the filter off w/o wasting $80 in synthetic oil? I guess I could catch it and pour it back in but was hoping there might be an easier way.

Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Aluminum crush washers are for your drain plug and oil pre filter screen. Most likely the filter is not on tight enough or cross threaded. No crush washer for the filter itself. Good luck. BTW I always recheck my filters for tightness after running engine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VTGP,
Thanks for the quick response. I hope it is as easy as just tightening it a bit more. I'll try this to see if it works. Is it recommended that I use the filter tool or do you guys just hand tighten your filters? You don't get a real great grasp on this filter b/c it sort of fits up into a cove in the engine ...maybe when I thought it was tight, it really wasn't as tight as it could be b/c of the hinderance of that cove.
Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I hand tighten mine, and then nip them up with the same tool I use for undoing them.
I used to just hand tighten them, but I had one come loose - luckily I spotted it before things got bad....

·
Registered
96 Posts
one thing to make sure before you put the new filter on...

especially if the previous guy didn't run a film of oil on the filter when he installed it - sometimes the o ring from the previous filter doesn't come off with the filter instead it stays stuck to the block. So when you put the new filter on um well you can guess what happens next.

Just a thought

p.s. - this is from experience so don't think you're the first guy to miss it...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I hear you. When it comes to an oil change, I'm a fanatic about ensuring everything is clean and looks as it should. I spend quite a bit of extra time carefully wiping down the area around the filter and drain plug. When I did this oil change, I even pulled out my steam cleaner and steam cleaned the entire engine. There was definitely no rubber O-ring left attached to the block when I pulled the old filter ...I am positive on that. Also, I still have the old filter and no rubber is missing from that. After I perform an oil change, I always let the car or bike run and look for leaks around the drain plug and filter. This is how I noticed it was leaking the other day (along with the smell of burning oil and billowing smoke as it was hitting the exhaust header pipe). I ordered a Ducati filter tool yesterday ($32 ...ouch) and once I get that, I'll tighten the filter up and see if that does the trick. If not, I'll have to pull the filter off and investigate what's going on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I switched to k&n because its easy, they have the nut on top, i make sure i wipe every thing clean in the filter hole and apply a film of the used oil on the ruber seal. the ducati filters leaked because they were never tight enought, k&n fixed that, a filter wrench for the ducati one may help as well.

I have a sport classic, but it is the same idea.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine leaks ever so slightly. I have to keep an eye on it and tighten it sometimes. Mabey I out to get a wrench for it, but yea I think it's just a matter of not being tight enough, and a lot of vibration to loosen it up.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Mine leaks ever so slightly. I have to keep an eye on it and tighten it sometimes. Mabey I out to get a wrench for it, but yea I think it's just a matter of not being tight enough, and a lot of vibration to loosen it up.
Vibration should not cause it to loosen , so more torque please to avoid a very unpleasant incident if a lot of oil gets onto the rear wheel !

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on this .....

Took the advice and purchased the Ducati specific oil filter tool from an online retailer ($32 w/shipping) and what do you know, I managed to get nearly another full turn on the filter before I had it nice and tight. Problem solved ...ran the bike for about 5 minutes and got it up to temp. Not a drop of oil leaking from it now. Even though I was able to hand tighten it when I did the oil change, you simply cannot get that great of a grasp around the filter to fully tighten it due to the cove it fits up into. That tool was real helpful ...expensive, but worth it :)

The bike is ready to go now! It just needs to warm up enough to motivate me to ride it.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
autozone filter tool

Autozone and most parts stores carry a variety of filter tools that are much less $$. I got one for I think $8. Then I switched to the K&N so a 17mm socket fits it and there's a predrilled safety wire tab.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Autozone and most parts stores carry a variety of filter tools that are much less $$. I got one for I think $8. Then I switched to the K&N so a 17mm socket fits it and there's a predrilled safety wire tab.
Yeah, I know but I was skeptical about getting one of those 'fits all' tools as they sometimes don't fit all that well. My coworker who use to race bikes and does a lot of his own bike maintenance said to do this right and get the tool that perfectly fits this filter. The OEM filter has sort of a unique fit pattern to it, with sort of an octogon shape on the head. And yes, I know K&N makes those filters with the design where you can fit a socket wrench right into the filter but I had already bought this OEM filter at the dealer and didn't want to trash it + I typically always use the OEM filters on my cars and bikes as an added assurance that I won't have any issues. When I had my Blackbird, I distinctly remember people on the Blackbird forum complain about problems with aftermarket oil filters failing. But no doubt that K&N makes quality products ...I would have every bit of confidence in their oil filters. I run their air filters in my cars and plan to install one in the bike at the next major service.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
For reference: When the Ducati NA van was at my dealer, people had the chance to ride several new models. Being anal as usual, I reached under a few of these "new" bikes. Found 3 filters that were wet with oil. Tech had to bring each into shop and check torque on filters. All of them were not torqued to spec. So I would imagine that hand tight, is NOT tight enough. I always snug mine up at least 1/2 turn past hand tight.

·
7,733 Posts
I have always used a rubber strap wrench to R&R the oil filter. I use the larger sized one with a strap about 25mm wide. I make sure the surfaces of the strap and filter are dry and clean of grease/oil etc by spraying them both with tool or contact cleaner, slip the strap around the filter and snug up in between the filter and engine case as much as possible and viola, never had one I couldn't take off, or one that was leaking problem. :)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
According to the Haynes 748, 916, 996 manual, the oil filter should be torqued up to 17 Nm

While I'm at it the oil drain plug and the oil pickup filter bolt should both be torqued up to 42 Nm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts