Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The riding season was cut short this year here in Wisconsin thanks to a Haloween snowstorm. I'll spare you the rant on that subject. Here is what I did.........
I was putting my Multi to bed for the season. Got its favorite storage spot in the garage, on its stand, favorite battery charger / maintainer in place, and was going to add the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer for the long winter's nap.
I opened the fuel door, opened the cap to the fuel stabilizer and the cap seal (about the size of a dime) flipped off, right into the tank and sank out of sight.
There, I said it. Yep, call it bad luck if you will, I call it a dumb-a$$ move on my part.
Now, I need to get it out of there or it may obstruct the fuel flow and/or interfere with the tank level sensor.
I looked at the procedure for removing the tank. I'm not entertained by that prospect. I thought of a fluid transfer pump to extract the fuel in hopes to catch it on the end of the suction hose.
Any advice would be appreciated. 30 years of owning bikes and never did something like this before. Guess there is a first time for everything.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Haahaa! Reminds me of the time I was on a little league baseball team (9 years old ... 1969). I was playing right field, the Sun was setting and right in my eyes as I watched the batter on home plate. He hit the ball, I couldn't see anything so I just stood there with my glove hanging down. A few seconds later I felt something ~smack~ into my glove. Before I could react, the ball that had landed right in my glove rolled out of the glove on to the dirt. The entire crowd of parents and spectators let out this resounding noise of loud disappointment combined with a lot of ~boos~. I could hear some people calling me names. I picked up the ball and threw it to 2nd base but since I was rattled from the whole thing my throw wasn't very accurate and the 2nd baseman missed the catch. The batter made it all the way to 3rd base.

The damned ball landed right in my glove .... all I had to do was close my hand around it and it would have been an ~out~. I never even saw the ball, the Sun was just above homeplate and totally blocked my view. No one believed me!

So, like the little seal landing right in your fuel tank, these things get filed in the ~shit happens~ folder of the "dumbass things I did" file cabinet.

I bet you'll never open another bottle of fuel treatment near your bike again!

.. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
... maybe one of those grasping claw tools used for getting ahold of wayward nuts/washers? .... I suppose you could sortof fish around in the tank with it if you're unable to actually see the seal. Maybe you'll get as lucky as you were unlucky ??????

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Pretty sure harbor freight has them too

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did try the grabby tool. However, I cant seem to see far enough in to the tank to even locate the little SOB.
Ducvet, I figured if I ended up pulling the tank, I'd do any service that was necessary at that point. I agree, may have to pull the pump just to get at it.
There are days when pounding your head against the wall seems like the right thing to do. But, it just leads to more headaches.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't see a problem leaving it there either. The pump inlet have a sock on it large enough, that can't obstruct flow.

You will have to go in the tank somewhere down the road for a new level sensor, it will be a good time to retrieve the lost bit.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you want an excuse to buy a fun toy, get one of those endoscopes off Amazon (I have one by Depstech and it works well) and look for the seal. Then once you have it in site, guide the the grabber in after it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally appreciate the advice. If nothing else, I feel better at least venting. I agree, there will be a time for a new sensor and filter. I may just wait until then.
As far as the endoscope (non-proctology approved) I could certainly use one for other things. Never can have too many tools.
Ducvet, you are right, in the grand scheme of things, this is pretty small. One day, I'll laugh about it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you want an excuse to buy a fun toy, get one of those endoscopes off Amazon (I have one by Depstech and it works well) and look for the seal. Then once you have it in site, guide the the grabber in after it.
I have one of those. It works fairly well.

That, combined with the grabber could make a fun/interesting operation type of project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I totally appreciate the advice. If nothing else, I feel better at least venting. I agree, there will be a time for a new sensor and filter. I may just wait until then.
As far as the endoscope (non-proctology approved) I could certainly use one for other things. Never can have too many tools.
Ducvet, you are right, in the grand scheme of things, this is pretty small. One day, I'll laugh about it.
How about a little wire rimmed aquarium net? Bend the wire to fit in there and scoop out the little piece. May even get other debris while at it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, here is my plan (After considering all of the advice here)
1. using a fluid transfer pump, extract all of the fuel from the tank via the filler hole.
2. Purchase an endoscope device from Amazon and use it to see the little sucker.
3. use the grabber tool to snatch it from its hiding place.
4. pour a really strong bourbon drink over 2 cubes of ice and consume.

Any holes in this plan? (besides running out of bourbon)

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
2 fun tank stories to make you feel better.

#1. a apprentice of mine was changing the fuel filter in a customers bike, in front of the customer. He dropped a hose clamp in the tank and the weight of the clamp was enough to wedge it into a part of the tank you can not get to (carby monster tank). After about an hour of trying we had to put it together with a new clamp and told the customer to bring it back if it ever breaks free. That day I lost work, a customer and an employee.

#2 while at the dealership a co-worker was changing a fuel filter in a 907 paso and got his arm stuck inside the tank. trust me he was glad that everyone did not have smart phones back then because the rest of us were laughing so hard as we offered to get the jaws of life where others offered to remove the arm. And we were friends...lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 fun tank stories to make you feel better.

#1. a apprentice of mine was changing the fuel filter in a customers bike, in front of the customer. He dropped a hose clamp in the tank and the weight of the clamp was enough to wedge it into a part of the tank you can not get to (carby monster tank). After about an hour of trying we had to put it together with a new clamp and told the customer to bring it back if it ever breaks free. That day I lost work, a customer and an employee.

#2 while at the dealership a co-worker was changing a fuel filter in a 907 paso and got his arm stuck inside the tank. trust me he was glad that everyone did not have smart phones back then because the rest of us were laughing so hard as we offered to get the jaws of life where others offered to remove the arm. And we were friends...lol
Ok. After those two incidents, I don't feel so bad. I hope to try my plan in the next few weeks before the holiday. Then again, it could be a great excuse to work on during the holiday season to avoid a few awkward office parties. Can't say enough how much I appreciate the advice and support.
Got a whole bunch of other issues to address. Most do not involve motorcycles......Thanks again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, here is my plan (After considering all of the advice here)
1. using a fluid transfer pump, extract all of the fuel from the tank via the filler hole.
2. Purchase an endoscope device from Amazon and use it to see the little sucker.
3. use the grabber tool to snatch it from its hiding place.
4. pour a really strong bourbon drink over 2 cubes of ice and consume.

Any holes in this plan? (besides running out of bourbon)
Live life on hard mode. Start with #4.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sure using the endoscope would be ok in a gas tank, they're made to be waterproof, but I wouldn't risk it. Gas and electricity don't mix.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts