Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The carbon fiber has lost its luster and shine on my Termi exhaust. It almost seems like its starting to discolor a little bit too up top. Any good suggestions on polishing or rebuffing to get the shine back?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Dulling carbon is from the heat-cycling and breakdown of the epoxy. I'm not sure how well it works on hot exhausts, but clear coating will bring some of the shine back.

Eventually, though, the sleeve will have to be replaced.

I know that Mr Twill (member here) supplies replacement carbon tubes for Duc exhausts.

http://www.carbonpartz.net/id94.html

In the UK, PJ engineering also sells replacement tubes:

http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/products.asp?cat=8

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You may want to use a polishing compound for clearcoats on it as it is cleared. I did that to mine and it worked well, I used the 3M version from an autobody supply for about $20. I don't know about the discoloration though. I plan to get mine re-cleared this winter to make it really shiny.:D

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
When did you last re-pack the mufflers? - they do need doing from time to time. The fibreglass packing does eventually burn out and the result can be discolouration of the carbonfibre. Might be good to look at having your mufflers repacked and then look at bringing the shine back up again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would try a good quality polishing compound. It is the cheaper alternative to having your carbon pieses re-cleared.
I agree, from experience. A good polishing will bring the shine back and, to help keep it that way, use a detailer with a UV protectant.
UV breaks clear coat down much faster then color

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I found this works great and is not very abrasive to the CF. Get some Meguiars "Scratch X" and you can apply by hand or w/ a buffer pad(works best!) on a low speed drill. Just buff the stuff in and buff off residue. Then finish off w/ a pure carnauba wax! That will do it.
Then grab some adhesive thermal barrier, I like the stuff Moose products puts out, Cut to fit the inside of the CF cover and remount. That should keep the heat from CF. If the thermal application starts to peel and it may do to the heat releasing the glue, just apply new stuff.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,009 Posts
I just spray mine with a silicone aerosol, leave for a few minutes then polish off with a soft rag, works well.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I just spray mine with a silicone aerosol, leave for a few minutes then polish off with a soft rag, works well.
Be careful w/ the silicone stuff, if the carbon gets hot enough the silicone will get into the pores of the carbon and mix w/ the resins making it worse, all most sticky, requiring it to be recleared. This is especially true of "Race" pre peg carbon which is very pourus and rough w/o a clear coat. Most DP carbon has a very thin coat of clear. No only is it pourus, but if u put it up to a light, you can see all the pin holes in the carbon weave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The carbon or resin on my termis is also yellowing. I'll just purchase the new designed Termis or Akras when they fail or become eye-sores. Should make for awesome garage wall ornaments. :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies...I think I might try the scratch X stuff first to see if it'll help any. I also have some 3M fine cut rubbing compound sitting around in the garage that I might try too. The stuff works well on automotive paint (clearcoat as well), but not sure if it'll work on the top coat of resin or clear that is on the CF.

Will update with results after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts