Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding today and lucky was getting close to home and all of a sudden POP some shit hits my right foot. I look down and WTF my clutch cover is

has anyone had this happen to them before ? What do u think caused it ? looks like faulty spring washer

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
That's an open clutch cover

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Just the bikes way of telling you that dry clutches deserve to breathe and be free to scare cagers at stop lights. Also why do you have chocolate milk for rear brake fluid?

Glad it didn't cause you too much trouble on your ride.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just the bikes way of telling you that dry clutches deserve to breathe and be free to scare cagers at stop lights. .
Or cause em to tell you they know a guy that fix what evers broke on your bike making all that noise. :)

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
It looks like the shim or spring cover on the top right failed(popped off!?)
Mmmmmmmhhh chocolate milk!

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I believe the basket has come loose and is backing out.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Just the bikes way of telling you that dry clutches deserve to breathe and be free to scare cagers at stop lights. Also why do you have chocolate milk for rear brake fluid?
That's not chocolate milk, it's a balsamic vinaigrette.
:p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its just dirty on the outside from riding 250+ miles around Lake Tahoe and beyond.. And the lack of lighting makes it look way worse Plus i live in the dessert so its always dusty around here. I'll snap another pic after i fix.
Thanks For all the input.. I have stock cover and extra stock bolts and springs to get by till some parts show up..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well at least it had a way to get out, imagine with the factory cover on there? Would have been rattling inside doing all sorts of damage. I'd take the suggestion and get a dremel to the open area to smooth it down and then perhaps put a mesh screen inside the opening...havent see one of those and you'd be able to see the clutch without have to worry about shoe laces.:D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately the carbon cover almost all the bolt holes are blown out as well..:mad: thing was holding on by carbon threads...

rest of the washers that hold springs pretty much all but one was totally trashed but all are trashed now.. What would cause this..? Bolts coming to loose ? just dont want it to happen again..

·
Old Fast Guy
488 Posts
Which bolts did you use? Were they loose when you removed them? Looks like they were either loose or too long and the shank bottomed out in the hub before they pulled the retainer down tight.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stock bolts.. They were all pretty loose when i took off today.. Ive had the bike for a week. I should have check clutch before i jammed out on a 200+ mile ride lesson learned...

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
The clutch hub nut coming loose can also let the PP slide sideways. It was probably just the spring bolts, but something good to check while you're there.

That is weird situation as the spring bolts do not need thread locker. The PO must have forgotten to torque them.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2 weeks after I got my 1100 Hyper, I was out on a ride and the main centre nut came undone on the clutch. As soon as I heard all the strange noises I went to pull the clutch lever in, but all this did was push the whole clutch basket into the open clutch cover. Lucky I was going slow at that point, and I just stalled it by the side of the road... Scared the hell out of me! Got the bike home and just bolted it all back together and torqued it up, no problems since. It's worth checking yours whilst it's apart though!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did check thanks was nice and tight..
Just got home from riding seems all good now.. I am noticing a little noise when first taking off been playing with clutch handle and stuff trying to get a good feel for take off ahahah..
But i cant get off the bike with out having a massive grinnnnn:D everytime !!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The clutch hub nut coming loose can also let the PP slide sideways. It was probably just the spring bolts, but something good to check while you're there.

That is weird situation as the spring bolts do not need thread locker. The PO must have forgotten to torque them.

Have a good one.
I'm the PO and the clutch was properly installed and all fasteners were set to the correct torque values. I used permatex threadlocker as required. I think it was a material failure but I'm sure we will find out more as the thread goes on. Tom

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom is no PO lets make that clear thats for sure.. I would buy from him anyday of the week.. Great dude thats answered every ? Ive had and some after sale was final.. Thanks Again Tom for selling me a bike in MINT condition (bike was so clean my girlfriend thought it was brand new I had to explain to her its a 08).. Its not his fault I had a little problem. Ive put over 1000 miles in less then a week I should have check clutch out Im a rookie still learning everyday.. about to jump on this badboy right now and rage around Lake Tahoe .. Thanks MS place rules vroooooooooooooooom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts