Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I'm going to attend the ride Saturday but not the rest of the festivities. Probably stay down the road in Dahlonega, GA as is my usual plan. Just don't see the value to join the club for $65 and get a "free" meal since I live nowhere near any of their regular events. Anyway, anyone else going? :)

http://www.usdesmo.com/pdf/USD_DFS_09.pdf

http://www.usdesmo.com/events.html

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Just don't see the value to join the club for $65 and get a "free" meal since I live nowhere near any of their regular events.
I thought membership was still only $20-$25. If you do the whole rally, Friday night is registration and pizza and sodas (paid for in the registration). Saturday is the 250-300 mile ride through some of the nice twisty roads in the area (GA, NC, TN). Saturday evening is usually a really good catered Italian meal (part of the registration cost) and then door prizes are given out.

I've never been to a rally where everyone did not get some type of door prize. For the $45 per person at the last rallies, I've generally walked out of there with the pizza, Italian meal, and at least two T-shirts. A couple of times for a door prize I got a can of chain lube, a book, or something else. At one of the rallies, a guy walked off with a $400 Ducati leather jacket donated by NPR Ducati and at another rally someone got a new helmet. I always feel that I get my $45 out of each rally.

My wife and I will be at the DFS rally, but we will probably stay at a little Mom & Pop motel a couple of miles down the road to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Mad, DD is correct, membership is $25 a year ($30 first year) you get a quarterly color magazine with that. If register and postmark before Sept 4th, as a member it's $45 for the event and $55 for non members. AS DD says, you get Friday pizza, saturday banquet, a t-shirt usually and some form of door prize from very small to incredible(free track days, gift certificates, etc). It's alot better to pay the fee and ATTEND the event as it helps keep the club going. That's the value in it. And the cameraderie as well.

Go to usdesmo.com for application. I've been a member for years and been attending the rallies since 99. We have people ride/drive in from Canada, Miami etc. every year.

Chris

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. According to the web site, new member fee is $30 and plus $45 "in advance" for the rally. So actually it would be $75 for me just to go for a nice ride. Thanks but no thanks. That covers 2 nights at the hotel I stay at (double occupancy shared with a friend) with about $20 left for food from the $75. Don't need a t-shirt. See you for the ride and the camaraderie Saturday. I'll be the cheapskate on the '02 ST4S. ;) :)

·
Flying Brit
1,814 Posts
What time is the ride on Saturday? I may attend also.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What time is the ride on Saturday? I may attend also.
Here is their full itinerary!

Friday, September 18, 2009
2:00 to 6:00 p.m. - Gone riding
6:00 to 8:00 p.m. – Registration, Pizza, & Soda hotel meeting room.

Saturday, September 19, 2009
7:00 to 9:00 am –Free Continental Breakfast at hotel
9:00 to Noon - Ride to Lunch
12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Lunch at Motor Company Grill, Franklin, NC
Main Street, Franklin, telephone 828-524-0099
1:30 to 6:00 p.m. - Afternoon ride
7:00 p.m. Italian dinner in the hotel. You must have a meal ticket to eat!
8:00 p.m. Door prizes in the hotel meeting room after dinner.
8:30 p.m. Bench racing and other assorted lies at hotel.

Sunday, September 20, 2009
7:00 to 10:00 am - Free Continental Breakfast at hotel
Noon - Time to go home. Drive safely; be sure to come to our next event!

Lunch is pay as you go; Friday pizza and Saturday dinner are prepaid. The registration fee covers the meals, Italian Flag, door prizes and setting up the ride. Pre-registrants get a free T-shirt

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'm riding up (about 200 miles) and will probably hit the hotel about 11 on Friday, eat lunch and then ride the rest of the day friday.
The wife and I plan on leaving Easley, SC around 10-ish in the morning and will ride up that way via a scenic/twisty route. Plan on being around the hotel about 6-ish. I'll be on my beat-up silver ST2 (complete with scratches and band-aid on the right fairing) and Vicki will probably be on her sparkly Monster (the Disco Duck). We'll probably have a buddy tagging along with a beat up red/black CBR600RR that I'm trying to convert over to a Ducati, soon. ;)

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
This will be the first DFS in some years I've actually had a duc. the last few years its' been my tuono, my brutale, or the goldwing I had (only one year for that one!)

Chris

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan to attend with my brother. I'll be on my ST4S in the sig and he'll be on his 999... he's driving down from freakin' Toronto with bike in back of his truck, of course! :) Plan to arrive noonish Friday...ST in back of my truck. Just did the ride up a couple of months ago...my back needs a break. Damn highway miles. ;)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weather forecast looks horrible all weekend. 40% rain and t-storms. :( Not going 500 miles for crappy weather. :mad:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I've been going for ten years now, it's rained some years, but only one year in all that time that I didn't get any significant riding in.
Chris

Weather forecast looks horrible all weekend. 40% rain and t-storms. :( Not going 500 miles for crappy weather. :mad:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I think Vicki is opting to ride her R1 instead of the Monster so she doesn't have to worry about getting it dirty, and I've been fighting a horizontal exhaust valve cover leak the last three days on the ST2. To make matters worse, we aren't too sure if our babysitting plans are going to go through or not. If it wasn't for a buddy going with us and it being his first rally, I'm tempted to stay home, also. Between 2 of the last 4 DFS rallies and the last three DABR rallies, we are getting tired of paying to ride in the rain. :(

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
wimps!!!!!!!!! the lot of you ;)

Chris

I think Vicki is opting to ride her R1 instead of the Monster so she doesn't have to worry about getting it dirty, and I've been fighting a horizontal exhaust valve cover leak the last three days on the ST2. To make matters worse, we aren't too sure if our babysitting plans are going to go through or not. If it wasn't for a buddy going with us and it being his first rally, I'm tempted to stay home, also. Between 2 of the last 4 DFS rallies and the last three DABR rallies, we are getting tired of paying to ride in the rain. :(

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let's not forget...Ducs don't like water. My ST has lighting issues if the left pod gets soaked. A buddy's SR4S gets a check engine light (bogus) when riding in a downpour. I was REALLY looking forward to this rally too. Might go up on Columbus day weekend in 4 weeks if weather coops then.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
ALSO.....If this weekend bombs for some people, just give DESMO DEMON or me a shout about a later date. Terry (Desmo Demon) and his wife Vicki know all the good roads, plus we can give info on places to stay etc. Or hell, come stay at my place.:D

Oh hell- party at Richies house!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Let's not forget...Ducs don't like water.
I'd hate to imagine the number of miles we ride in the rain, but I've never had a problem with my ST2, and my 748 only screwed up once (at least I think it was due to the rain). My wife generally tells me that if we have a babysitter, we are riding, no matter what the weather is. I was told last night that our babysitter is lined up for this afternoon through Tuesday, so I was put to work on prepping bikes when I got home from work, last night. I *think* I finally cured the valve cover leak on the ST2, and because of the weather, the wife plans on taking the R1, so I changed out the brake pads all the way around. Somewhere between those two bikes, I changed out a front tire for a riding buddy.....I hope the weather isn't too miserable this weekend.

ALSO.....If this weekend bombs for some people, just give DESMO DEMON or me a shout about a later date.
I'm wondering how I'm going to feel riding this weekend. I still have bruises and a huge welt on my back from eating the guardrail on Labor Day with the 748. The 100+ miles of ST2 test rides since doing the valves and belts haven't been a good indicator. Maybe with rain and wet roads, I'll have an excuse to go really, really slow. ;)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Radar looked like it rained alot up there this weekend. How'd the riding go? :confused::)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I live very close and I would have loved to have gone. However, we've had the worse amount of rain than we've had all year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts