Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know what Im looking at...but I cant stop looking.

Why these are the prettiest machines/works of art Ive ever seen in my life?

What are these?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Pretty bikes but look at the peg location on that first picture... I'd be crippled after a 20 minute ride. :smile2:

I really love the minimalism of the air cooled multi's... with a talented customizer you can probably turn most of them into works of art.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think that first one is a trailer queen. The rear brake lever "return spring" is a rubber band. And as Member *DaveK pointed out the footpeg location best serves a chimp.

Criticisms aside, yes, all three are beautiful. There's a sortof steampunk vibe happening.

Here's a few others (attached), but I think most folks have already seen them. The silver one with the blue frame is really striking (color wise). The one with the Buell type perimeter front disc brake is also different and racey looking.

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
5,069 Posts
I think that first one is a trailer queen. The rear brake lever "return spring" is a rubber band. And as Member *DaveK pointed out the footpeg location best serves a chimp.

Criticisms aside, yes, all three are beautiful. There's a sortof steampunk vibe happening.

Here's a few others (attached), but I think most folks have already seen them. The silver one with the blue frame is really striking (color wise). The one with the Buell type perimeter front disc brake is also different and racey looking.
Wow - there are some, IMO, ugly and totally not practical bikies there.

I wonder how well they run, if at all.

Not my cup of tea, but then whisky is my drink of choice.

Abominations springs to mind.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't know what Im looking at... What are these?
Why, thems be motorsickles there!

:wink2: :laugh:

Wow - there are some, IMO, ugly and totally not practical bikies there.

I wonder how well they run, if at all.

Not my cup of tea, but then whisky is my drink of choice.

Abominations springs to mind.
I'm mainly replying so I don't get caught up in your "2 strike policy" in case you're keeping score of my replies.

(poke poke) ... :grin2:

In any case ... re; your remark about ugly ... t'each his druthers, right? For some folks it's all about the build time rather than seat time. And still others gotta gets that ~hit~ of dopamine from likes on their instagram account ... so they build instagram motor cycles!

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
For some folks it's all about the build time rather than seat time. And still others gotta gets that ~hit~ of dopamine from likes on their instagram account ... so they build instagram motor cycles!
This sums it up nicely. Just like the chopper craze followed by the cafe racer craze many motorcycles are built more as a design exercise for fun rather than to be a rideable motorcycle. Same happens to a lesser degree with large motorcycle companies in that they some times build more about a design than a function aspect.

Single sided swingarm anyone? Bodywork that takes 1hr plus to remove or batteries you cannot access without a full toolbox. Plenty examples of motorcycles built by everyone who does not meet someones dislike list for some reason, nice things is we all get to choose.

As a mechanic I dislike motorcycles built just as art, but motorcycles built with huge teams of highly paid engineers that do not work even more. At least the artful builds are hopefully succeeding in giving some something good to look at. A built to be functional first that isnt is mostly a failure in my book.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This sums it up nicely. Just like the chopper craze followed by the cafe racer craze many motorcycles are built more as a design exercise for fun rather than to be a rideable motorcycle. Same happens to a lesser degree with large motorcycle companies in that they some times build more about a design than a function aspect.

Single sided swingarm anyone? Bodywork that takes 1hr plus to remove or batteries you cannot access without a full toolbox. Plenty examples of motorcycles built by everyone who does not meet someones dislike list for some reason, nice things is we all get to choose.

As a mechanic I dislike motorcycles built just as art, but motorcycles built with huge teams of highly paid engineers that do not work even more. At least the artful builds are hopefully succeeding in giving some something good to look at. A built to be functional first that isnt is mostly a failure in my book.
Well, if you're capable of building one you're probably capable of working on it. My 900 is meant to be a good day canyon carver, it doesn't have to be practical. I have my multi for commuting and being practical. Not all bikes are meant to be practical. I wouldn't want to tour on a TW200, but I'd definitely have some fun with it! Not to mention due to the costs involved in doing a build of that quality, the builders probably take them to shows and stuff. I know I have some local shows/meets I intend to take the 900 to.

·
Bon Vivant
10,200 Posts
The second bike is owned by a fiend of mine and it certainly isn't used as an art piece and I doubt that third bike sits on a pedestal either. I am guilty of building art bikes myself however I prefer looking at beautiful motorcycles more than beautiful paintings. In my eyes those are all works of art.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The second bike is owned by a fiend of mine and it certainly isn't used as an art piece and I doubt that third bike sits on a pedestal either. I am guilty of building art bikes myself however I prefer looking at beautiful motorcycles more than beautiful paintings. In my eyes those are all works of art.
That's cool you know one of these guys!

I agree 100%

Im a bit surprised by a few comments, but I respect everyone's knowledge and views.

Yes I see the foot peg placement on #1 and thought the same thing!

Im used to the every day, standard jap bike upgrades. When I found this forum I was shocked to see these art bikes. I had never seen anything like it before.

The way I see it is that its a tribute to a bike that allows for so many cool custom options, and features the Historic Ducati engines as a main focusing point.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Not to nitpick but I think the third one is a squarecase with a dry clutch conversion that's styled along the lines of a roundcase cover.

No real comments on the bikes. They look nicely done but I'm over those ergos, open belts, and unprotected dry clutches.

EDIT: After posting that I noticed my sig and yeah, it seems hypocritical. but... the 851 is on shakey ground... after riding my Monster for a week down in the blueridge parkway area and then taking my RSV to a track day the day after we got back, I'm convinced superbike ergos are useless in my world... the 851 is purely sentimental at this point and my ride on it last Sunday wasn't all that enjoyable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The #89 bike is my teammate, I've ridden that bike and it's pretty damn good. It looks a bit different now.

The #525 was my old racing buddy who no longer races, he still owns the bike for track days.

·
Excel Addict
5,069 Posts
Why, thems be motorsickles
I'm mainly replying so I don't get caught up in your "2 strike policy" in case you're keeping score of my replies.
The 2 strike is when providing a genuine tech response and no answer as to whether or not it worked.
I could not give a shit shat about chit chat!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Personally I think they are really neat looking, for some people I know these just twist their cork--But I on the other hand am more of a purest These dont do anything at all for me. --For pure sex I had a 2001 MV Agusta 750 F4. That is the sexiest motorcycle ever built by man--But it is also the most uncomfortable pile of shit ever built lol--But Damn it was pretty. Mine was a Neiman Marcus Special Edition only 10 were built. But someone made me an offer I could not say no to, and it now lives in California. I hated to see it go but I knew I would never ride it again and was scared of parts availability -hell alot of the Carbon Fiber bits were already N.L.A. The guy that got it collects Italian Bikes I think he had around 30+ at the time.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I am no purist. There are enough people restoring bikes these days to keep the world stocked until IC engines are outlawed. If that’s your thing, I respect it. I’m also definitely not into making bikes purely for art, or bikes that have been modified to be more uncomfortable or less roadworthy, like extended front ends, metal seats and 12” pipes. To me it’s a waste of a perfectly good motorcycle, but it’s your motorcycle, not mine. I lean towards bikes that have been improved from the one that came out of the factory . More power, lighter weight, better brakes, improved ergonomics , even. That’s what I’ve always done to my own motorcycles. That’s what draws me to Ducatis. I am in awe of the craftsmanship and imagination it took to do the customs seen in this thread. I wish I was that talented.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am in full agreement with duc96cr. While I respect the craftsmanship and investment of creativity, talent, time and of course, money, it just isn't my taste. I like to look, but that's where it ends.

I just wanna ride. If I'm gonna build a bike, like I am now, it better be comfortable and fully functional to ride. I'm too old to be folding myself up on ever more aggressive motorcycles. My 996 is as far as I'm willing to discomfort myself.....and I can see a day coming when I can no longer do that. I hope it is still several decades away but I can see it from here. ....sean

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
EDIT: After posting that I noticed my sig and yeah, it seems hypocritical. but... the 851 is on shakey ground... after riding my Monster for a week down in the blueridge parkway area and then taking my RSV to a track day the day after we got back, I'm convinced superbike ergos are useless in my world... the 851 is purely sentimental at this point and my ride on it last Sunday wasn't all that enjoyable.
last year i pulled my 851 out after 13 years of sitting because i wanted to get a bike on our club rego system and it was the only complete bike i had for that. well, 2 grand later, after doing the big service and replacing the soft closing springs to make it idle and pulling the seat off several times to replace eproms and all that other crap i'm where i knew i would be - over it. i wish i'd left it where it was. don't enjoy riding it anymore, but i've invested in it so now i kind of need to do something with it. hunny bunny doesn't want me to sell it just because, but owning something for the sake of it has never really interested me. what upsets me the most is that i used to love this bike so much, and now it just shits me.

it's old and slow, but with our draconian speed law enforcement i don't dare ride like i used to so it's still faster than i need to be tempted with around town. i had been really enjoying the 400. comically slow, but just fun. and the money i spent on the 851 would have kept the 400 on the road as was for 3 years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts