Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished watching the presentation a couple of mins ago and...I'm shocked and appalled once again...

- 10+ versions of the friggin' Scrambler, WHY ? What purpose does the Scrambler Motard and Scrambler X serve ? There's already the Hypermotard if you need a Motard and a MTS Enduro + Scrambler desert sled for any type of off-road shenanigans. Sure, they will be simpler, air-cooled bikes but was there really a need for them? (especially regarding the Scrambler X since it's basically going to be a Desert Sled with fairings).
Ah yes, 5 minutes of PR mumble for the Scrambler "dark", an Icon in matte/flat black...5 minutes lads...

- Panigale V2 : The el cheapo version stripped of all the premium goodies - but hey, at least it has a SSSA, am i right ? ;) Also, i couldn't keep but giggle when C. Domenicali kept mumbling about the "younger generation of riders" and how he thinks this will be a good introductory/starter bike (his words) to track-days, yeah, because nothing screams "introductory bike" like a 17K+ €/$ 2-wheeled "exotica" toy, how detached from (economic and social) reality can you be as a president of a company to say these things ? Absolutely laughable...

- Panigale V4(S) 2020 : Now with extra aero-wings and panels from the R version, also, way to screw the loyal customers that shelled out almost 30K (depending on the VAT of your country) one year ago, i understand that things can and must evolve but...releasing another, newer version barely 1 year later is just wrong.

- MTS 1260 Grand tour : Because they didn't have the MTS V4 ready yet.So, what did they do ? Present yet another MTS 1260 version with - get ready - extra fog lights and...an electronic fuel cap (plus visible tyre pressure through the dash), amazing value ! Things that were available on competitor's ADV bikes for years.
Spend 26-27K now (again, depending on your country's VAT) but...be also ready to spend yet another 26-27K next year for the MTS V4.
i really can't understand what the demographic for this bike is and who will go and spend that amount of money on this version when the V4 is 1 year away.

- New Diavel 1260 (2020) colours/liveries : No comment

- Streetfighter V4 = This is most probably what fans were expecting the most and judging by the comments everyone creamed their pants.
Amazing numbers/performance for a naked bike for sure but, sorry, thing looks a Japanese bike, and while there's absolutely nothing wrong with Japanese bikes, an Italian bike (and an 25K+ "exotica" one at that) has to look like one, something which the V4 in my opinion doesn't : Delta box frame makes a return same with that tank-to-fairing bridging, not to mention that front/headlight which looks like the Kawa's Z1000 one.
Also, Ducati has become so (amazingly) predictable when it comes to gouging its customer base with the after-market parts : Want the sexy champagne-Gold Marchesini forged wheels (that were standard for most of the S models of yore) ? Get ready to shell another 2.5-3K for those - same thing that happened with the (new) Diavel 1260S, they removed the sexy machined wheels of the previous Carbon models and replaced them with "plain" black wheels/rims on the 1260, wanted the machined ones (like on the X ) ? Yep, that's another 2.5K.
Those aero-wings ? Get ready to spend another 400-500€/$ for the carbon ones (that will break in a simple tip-over).
Also, get ready for the Streetfighter V2 2 years from now, again, "predictable" is the key word here.

...And don't get me started on those e-bicycles (with the cheapest one starting from 5K €).

Remember when Ducati had some truly sexy, exotica bikes ? monster S4RS in its glorious white on red duo-tone scheme, Hyper motard 1100 Evo, Sport classic series, Diavel Carbon (black on red) etc etc ? Not to mention the 1199 Panigale which is still the most sexy sports bike of the past 20 years (i'd put right next to the 9*6/998 series).

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Knew you were going to have some choice comments about the new lineup... and you don't disappoint. :)

I agree that the new Streetfighter is a lot more derivative looking... but those numbers!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knew you were going to have some choice comments about the new lineup... and you don't disappoint. :)

I agree that the new Streetfighter is a lot more derivative looking... but those numbers!

DaveK, you know me so well man...😁😁
Shit, i'm starting to become predictable - just like Ducati ;)

In all seriousness though, the presentation was the usual PR bullshit, absolutely nothing new besides the SF V4

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I'm just glad we can watch it as it happens or a little later.

Who else does that for you?

And I'm also glad that an engineer/race team manager now runs my favorite motorcycle company. Not some bean counter.

No offense to the bean counters on the board. ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
And I'm also glad that an engineer/race team manager now runs my favorite motorcycle company. Not some bean counter.
Y'mean like the utter disappointment that is Harley Davidson? They've so lost their way. They've forgotten how to build the motorcycles they were identified with. Buncha goddamed suits run the design department, buncha goddamed suits run the engineering division.

:poop:(n):cautious:

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's clear from what I'm seeing on the urban streets. The Scrambler line is for the Millenials and those after them.. whatever the heck they be called. The V4 this, V4s that.. oh why, oh, why dear god no V4 multistroodle?! ..is just a bunch of [us] older guys here in the corner who aint buying new bikes from dealers, in numbers anyway.

Welcome to the 21st century, dudes. unless you can lanesplit, riding bikes in urban traffic is just not that fun anymore. And the young 'uns are laden with either minimum wage jobs or college loan debt that kills the "disposable" in "disposable income." US average income has been flat versus cost of living/inflation for a few decades at this point. And non-degreed folks' incomes in the US, post-2007-2013 "Wall Street melts the world," depression really never bounced back.

This is what Ducati, HD, etc are up against. Ducati hatched "Scrambler" and HD their small bore whatevers, to reach the poorer next gens so the companies/industry can weather the storm. Let's hope it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts