Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have not post in a long time, but today I picked up a copy of moto cycle (australian bike mag) and I found this article about the new 1199... Ducati's Domenicali has confirm a bigger Ducati.
"-and Ducati has reacted to poor acceptance of the 999's styling by taking a fresh look at the timeless design of the landmark 916-"
What you make of them apples? I though my 749's were gorgeous :)

I found a picture of the new design so here it is... whaddayathink?

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
I think it makes me happier that I own a 748.

·
Registered
835 Posts
looks cool,

·
Registered
22 Posts
DrGonzo said:
it looks cool. Better than the 999 i think. but not as good as the 916
You are kidding, right?? :crazy:
Looks like s**t!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
El_Gladiator said:
It's a (bad) photoshoped pic. Not the real thing.
This pic is known for weeks.
The image is a concept design by an artist called Hugo van Waaijen is not an actual photo, nothing more. I was more keen to know opinions regarding the quote on the magazine about the model change.
The image is just to add color to the post.

No more 999R means no more Ducati in WSBK :-(

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
diablito said:
No more 999R means no more Ducati in WSBK :-(
not true....2 words...Production Desmosedici....yes...seeing as how they are planning on delivering the 1st of these fine production machines based on the MotoGP bike and technology at the Italian Grand Prix...well...that could lead to a very interesting bike against the I-4's that are currently running....also I think Ducati is pushing for a displacement boost allowance against I-4's like what used to be with 1000cc twins vs. 750cc I-4's...I think they are pushing for a 1200cc displacement limit against 1000cc I-4's...that is why in the interviews I think they especially asked Troy Bayliss about the speed of his bike vs. the I-4's out there post race!....but this is all off topic!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New 1199 commnets

True that pic has been around awhile. Unfortunately, this bike looks like everything else on the market and will not solve the Ducati problem.

Ducati must go back to its roots before going forward. The monster project is a great example.

A design asthetic must be individual...........esp. for Ducati. Ducati must show design/innovation leadership (i.e. Chryslyer Corp.) For the street application/user speed/performance can be solved simply with displacement increases. The new V-4 eng is great but a common man will never afford it in street form. Ducati needs to reinvent a more mass market bike, with reasonable cost that eludes heritage, sex appeal and performance.

Here's a basic off the top of my head suggestion:

1200cc-1500cc DS motor (huge power) in a streetable (designed for street but very capable on the track) package with the elemental design so that people recognize it as a Duke without labeling. In other words a Supersport redesign. This bike can put Ducati in the black if its done with reasonable cost.

Is it me or do all sport/superbikes look basically the same?

Why can't Ducati build (god forbid) a street rod/cruiser too?

Just my 2cents

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thats funny because Ducati put out an article to dispale any and all rumors of a new bike! Diablito is only BS us and showing this cbr look alike and calling it an italian is very affensive!!!

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Good points, but maybe they are tired of us and want to attract the "other" crowd with a design such as above. Personally, it looks just like the new R6, with the MotoGP tail and shorty exhaust. Pretty, but not so much Ducati looking. I think the exhaust should go back under the tail, I say that reluctantly due the heat issues, had none when I owned a Supersport. The tank looks good, not bulky and who knows about the front end, looks 916. Its obvious there is going to be a design change to replace the 999, I think it will be a blend of sorts. I hope it gets high marks like the Hypermotard. If Bayliss wasn't doing good in WSBK, then maybe Ducati would have had an arguement for increased displacement. However, I don't think the I/4s are at the end of their technology like the Ducati, to prove this next year Ducati might be sucking buttermilk out there. Even Bayliss said his 999 isn't that much different than his 998F02, maybe 8HP? Big difference looks like traction control to me, the Ducs aren't wobbling as much going in and coming out of turns. AMA bikes are the ones that need help now.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Some of the rumors ive heard about the new ducs is

-they are styling them after their Moto Gp bikes

-They are blending the new Ducati style with the 916 style (sort of like that concept pic)

either way it will be interesting to see what they come up with

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
zooom said:
not true....2 words...Production Desmosedici....yes...seeing as how they are planning on delivering the 1st of these fine production machines based on the MotoGP bike and technology at the Italian Grand Prix...well...that could lead to a very interesting bike against the I-4's that are currently running....also I think Ducati is pushing for a displacement boost allowance against I-4's like what used to be with 1000cc twins vs. 750cc I-4's...I think they are pushing for a 1200cc displacement limit against 1000cc I-4's...that is why in the interviews I think they especially asked Troy Bayliss about the speed of his bike vs. the I-4's out there post race!....but this is all off topic!

The Desmosedici is an 800cc which is good for the MotoGP not the WSBK.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That looks terrible.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thank god I have mine!

Anything they put out will be critiqued to death because the 916 series was so advanced. Its still being compared to.

Ducati has a very tough road ahead of them.

Maybe they should just bring back the 998 with the the latest motor, lighter, better electronics, very slight styling changes, better ergos, more insulated from exhaust heat. I think that should do it...then call it...

9910 :)

I would buy it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
diablito said:
The Desmosedici is an 800cc which is good for the MotoGP not the WSBK.
the Desmosedici is actually the bike they are currently running which falls on the 998cc rules that MotoGP is currently running....they have put a Desmosedici badge on the 800CC they are testing right now...but not much is known about the engine in it other than it somehow conforms to specs for racing in MotoGP next year!....so when they deliver the 1st Desmosedici at the Italian GP...it starts to become a full blown production bike which can be run in WSBK!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
level7 said:
Maybe they should just bring back the 998 with the the latest motor, lighter, better electronics, very slight styling changes, better ergos, more insulated from exhaust heat. I think that should do it...
I think one of the defining things that helped in design change from the Tamburini 916 design of bikes to the Terblanche 999's of current was the amount of chassis flex with the single sided swingarm design...which as the bikes increased in HP through it's evolution to the 998 lump...the racers would either complain about its increased propensitiy against stability...or they would take full advantage of it in an almost drift or dirttrack reaction on certain courses...the idea of going away from the SSS to the more standard style of swingarm which is one of the many styling cues that made the 916 series recognizable as it was...was to be able to homologate riders into feeling more comfortable on the bike and in having them to deal with natural set-up and performance function tuning as apposed to having to overcome a natural flex that was apart of what that bike was that they weren't used to...now...on the street...we hopefully don't get into situations to feel that difference because hopefully we aren't pushing that performance envelope on the street...but it made a difference in the track performance.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i thought we got rid of this garbage pic and rumor about it being the next duc a while ago...especially after ducati themselves claimed it to be false.

do you guys really think the desmosedici rr (which is 989cc not 800 btw) will ever see wsbk? i didn't think production numbers where high enough for homologation purposes even if they wanted to use it. imho, expect to see a displacement increase in ducati's/wsbk's future...regardless of the fact that (barring an unforeseen mishap) bayless and ducati will walk away with the titles this year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts