Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

Thought some may be interested to know that gilt.com currently has ducati watches. For those who don't know gilt, it's sort of online sample sale, offering different lines for limited periods of time.

For the sceptics, I have nothing to do with gilt, other than I buy there regularly, and can give them highest marks for price and service. You do need to be invited to join, so if anyone needs an invite, IM me your email address. If you buy anything, I'll get a store credit :D

PS-prices between $330 and $790

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Why not take one of those small sized Ducati Corse raised stickers and put one in the middle of the bezel that holds the transparent cover? Total cost might be a couple of bucks.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Hello all:

Thought some may be interested to know that gilt.com currently has ducati watches. For those who don't know gilt, it's sort of online sample sale, offering different lines for limited periods of time.

For the sceptics, I have nothing to do with gilt, other than I buy there regularly, and can give them highest marks for price and service. You do need to be invited to join, so if anyone needs an invite, IM me your email address. If you buy anything, I'll get a store credit :D

PS-prices between $330 and $790
If those are the same ones as they have at Neiman Marcus, that's a deal. But, I'm not into fashion watches anyway. I prefer military or dive watches myself.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
I've never understood paying that kind of money for a watch. Seriously, that's money that could be spent on a trackday..or two.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I've never understood paying that kind of money for a watch. Seriously, that's money that could be spent on a trackday..or two.
A Panerai watch, depending on the model, would easily pay for a pair of BST wheels, plus new tires and some other goodies... But, if you've got it, flaunt it, as the American saying goes...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have some nice watches and some nice Ducati's. Once you know what is in the watch and the mechanics to make it do what it does the cost becomes understandable. Some of the engineering and metals in the watches are amazing. Of course like motorcycles the watch manufacturers are looking to add more value to their products.at least for me its not about flaunting it I don't own a Rolex.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Its not about flaunting it for me..... I only started wearing a watch again this past year after 10 years of not wearing one. And this ones only like 100 bucks. But I'd get a kick outta wearing one of these sometimes I think.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I'm not sure about all these watches, but I seem to remember that most (all?) have a quartz movement. Nothing wrong with that, but that puts them in a different league than the ones with mechanical movements. My favorite Ducati watch is still the Fortis issued ca 5 years ago. However, realizing that it is the exact same watch as the Fortis that I bought in '99 for ca 1/3 of the price, wwahl's of putting a Ducati Corse sticker on the bezel of my "regular" watch starts sounding better by the minute .... :think:

By the way, talking about sound ...... ever listened carefully to one of these mechanical watches? My Fortis "revs" at 28,800 semi-vibrations per hour or 8 clicks per second. It's a pretty impressive sounding and looking piece of "machinery".

RonB

Attachments

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I'm not sure about all these watches, but I seem to remember that most (all?) have a quartz movement. Nothing wrong with that, but that puts them in a different league than the ones with mechanical movements. My favorite Ducati watch is still the Fortis issued ca 5 years ago. However, realizing that it is the exact same watch as the Fortis that I bought in '99 for ca 1/3 of the price, wwahl's of putting a Ducati Corse sticker on the bezel of my "regular" watch starts sounding better by the minute .... :think:

By the way, talking about sound ...... ever listened carefully to one of these mechanical watches? My Fortis "revs" at 28,800 semi-vibrations per hour or 8 clicks per second. It's a pretty impressive sounding and looking piece of "machinery".

RonB
Yes, I agree that mechanical watches are amazing devices. As a mechanical engineer who works in the gearing art, I can appreciate these things very much. They do very strange things inside of these watches...

Anyway, I can't afford anything really nice, but I did buy a watch "kit" once, with a nice ETA 21 jewel movement. I had a watch maker put it together for me. It's nothing special.

After I realized that quartz watches are 10 times as accurate as mechanical watches, I just gave up and wear quartz watches now.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Multifuntion watch

I have one that is very accurate, sets the time its self, changes time zones automatically, has GPS, Web surfing, communication, etc.... Since I carry a cell phone, why do I need a watch?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts