Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 1098 in non-running condition and got her back on the road. She’s currently running great except for a radiator leak that happened on Sunday. I’m currently sitting at 46,000 km and Ducati told me that I need an engine overhaul, valve adjustment and and belt replacement. This price also included a radiator replacement, but I ordered a chinese one and we’ll roll those dice when it gets here.

I’m looking at my options. And don’t know what to think.

Why does it need an overhaul? Is this really vital? For the same price I can get a used low mileage engine.

What are my engine options if I do a swap? It seems like the 848, 1098, street fighters, and the 1198 (with header mods, and valves, maybe?) will fit. What about the Diavel 1198 engine?

I’m also looking into doing the valve adjustment and belt replacement but everything is over my head to be honest. Are there any guides for people who have never done this? I thought the belts would be easy but people are talking about measuring harmonic frequencies and stuff that I’ve never even heard of.

Not gonna lie, it’s disappointing to put all this effort into the bike, and set it up the way I want only to find out I have to shell out way more than I paid for the bike to keep it on the road. I’m not afraid to tear it apart and give it my best shot, but I can’t shell out $6000...

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Do the work yourself. The valves and belts are not difficult and the is a load of help on the forum.

Run the engine until it fails. Spend as little as necessary.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Ducati did not tell you that, a Ducati dealer told you that. You should get more opinions if possible. Don’t go somewhere that is not familiar with Ducatis, your chances of being ripped off goes off the charts. Really not enough information to help you much. Give your location and someone may know a good dealer near you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ducati did not tell you that, a Ducati dealer told you that. You should get more opinions if possible. Don’t go somewhere that is not familiar with Ducatis, your chances of being ripped off goes off the charts. Really not enough information to help you much. Give your location and someone may know a good dealer near you.
It was a very famous Ducati dealership that said that. It was Ducati Higashi Osaka.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Second opinion from a not so famous shop.
Maybe an Indy shop that knows Ducati?
Sorry, I know nada bout your area.

·
Super Moderator
26,205 Posts
If it's running great then it certainly does not need an overhaul. You can do the belts if you have tools and can follow video instructions and do not have set the tension using the harmonic method.
Check the valves first - they may not need a thing. Again, there is plenty of help here and elsewhere online on how to best do this. It sounds like you have the right attitude. Forget that shop. They're famous because they are huge and make tons of money, right?

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Does it have titanium connecting rods? If so that may be why as they do ovalize with miles and you have plenty. Before we get into bashing the dealer,brand or bike how about letting us know what is in the estimate and why the dealer said you need a engine rebuild.

Can you skip the rebuild ? maybe but did they hear or see something that is telling them the engine is failing?
Is it a model or version that is prone to have a part failure at certain intervals (like ti rods)?
Is it they know something will cost you much more if you do not fix it now?
You need to ask them for the reasons and they should be able and willing to give you good clear answers, if not then look elsewhere.

A good mechanic will not be cheap, a bad mechanic will be expensive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the work yourself. The valves and belts are not difficult and the is a load of help on the forum.

Run the engine until it fails. Spend as little as necessary.
This is what I’m wanting to do. I haven’t found a guide yet that’s super easy to follow for someone who’s never done it. Do you have links to any that you would recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does it have titanium connecting rods? If so that may be why as they do ovalize with miles and you have plenty. Before we get into bashing the dealer,brand or bike how about letting us know what is in the estimate and why the dealer said you need a engine rebuild.

Can you skip the rebuild ? maybe but did they hear or see something that is telling them the engine is failing?
Is it a model or version that is prone to have a part failure at certain intervals (like ti rods)?
Is it they know something will cost you much more if you do not fix it now?
You need to ask them for the reasons and they should be able and willing to give you good clear answers, if not then look elsewhere.

A good mechanic will not be cheap, a bad mechanic will be expensive.
Well the computers were down when I went so they couldn’t give me an itemized price list. This was basically the mechanic just looking at the bike with fairings still on and giving me an estimate in conversation.

It’s a base model 2007 1098. No issues at all right now except the hole in the radiator. It runs fantastic since I swapped the starter circuit cables, spark plugs, voltage regulator, oil, and filters.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Looks like they think you're loaded and they want to get you onto a new V4!

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Tell them to go get a big black dog up em’. You can do all stuff apart from the mathesis, which you can still work around. Not difficult just time consuming when you are learning. Remember there is always us here to help.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not sure why the "mechanic" would say it needs a complete rebuild based off of mileage alone. Besides, there's a nice looking 1098 motor with 6K miles on e-bay right now for less than $2K shipped.

Belts are simple to replace, valve adjustment isn't really difficult but, it's not something I'd recommend to someone who isn't reasonably mechanical. You want to understand what it is you're adjusting and why before you start tearing in to it...jmho

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure why the "mechanic" would say it needs a complete rebuild based off of mileage alone. Besides, there's a nice looking 1098 motor with 6K miles on e-bay right now for less than $2K shipped.

Belts are simple to replace, valve adjustment isn't really difficult but, it's not something I'd recommend to someone who isn't reasonably mechanical. You want to understand what it is you're adjusting and why before you start tearing in to it...jmho
I saw the motor online, but it was $2000 to get it shipped here, so $4000 total. I’d have to get a friend to throw one into a suitcase or have someone bring it in a container with other imports I guess.

I’m gonna try to do the belts, I’ve got a ton of questions in my other thread about it. Maybe I should just let the valves be? What happens if they get out of clearance?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ouch, didn't realize you were that far away :)

Try this first - do the belts and check the valve clearances while you have the bike torn down. You'll have to remove a few other things like the tank and airbox but checking the clearances is actually quite simple and you don't really risk doing any damage to the bike. It'll give you a good look at the valve train, you'll find out if you actually need to adjust the valves, and it will get you much more familiar with the motor before you attempt to remove the cams etc

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ouch, didn't realize you were that far away :)

Try this first - do the belts and check the valve clearances while you have the bike torn down. You'll have to remove a few other things like the tank and airbox but checking the clearances is actually quite simple and you don't really risk doing any damage to the bike. It'll give you a good look at the valve train, you'll find out if you actually need to adjust the valves, and it will get you much more familiar with the motor before you attempt to remove the cams etc
Sounds good. I know how to remove the tank and air box so that should be fairly easy. I’m really glad I built the motorcycle lift now 😂. I’m definitely getting to use it.

About the shipping, I’m not sure if I misread or what. I just looked again and it said $150 shipping to Japan. Are you talking about the 1098 S streetfighter engine? I couldn’t find where it said “6K miles”, only “low hours” which makes it sound like the guy had it in an ultralight or go-cart or something
🤔🤷‍♂️.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Wait to get a reason why they think it needs a engine overhaul. If it is a standard model as you say and they do not know of a specific thing I would start by getting a second opinion. Based on miles only there is no reason to rebuild a non-ti rod motor. The bike should double the mileage no problem as long as there is not a problem due to neglect, misuse or simply the bike is overall so bad off they are trying to scare you out of spending money on what they see as a money pit.

If no one can tell you whats wrong with it and you need a motor then I would go ahead and get the valves and belts done, cross your fingers and carry on. Spend as little as possible and over the next 1000 miles see if there is any issues. I would get the oil pressure checked to get a idea of rod bearing (as best as you can from the outside). Keep a close eye on the magnetic drain plug and sump screen for metal indicating a bearing failure. Pay attention to any abnormal vibrations in the pegs or bars and look for oil leaks.

Check around your area for a reputable independent who knows your motor and see what they say. I am not a big fan of used motors except when you need so many parts rebuilding is not cost effective. keep in mind most used motors are for sale because they are parted out wrecked bikes. This means the bike might have been running on its side for who knows how long with little to no oil pressure, this causes rod bearing failure. If you buy one check oil pressure first and get one with a warranty. I just finished a engine build on a ebay motor that spun bearings less than 1000 miles after they put it in and the used replacement crankshaft also had spun its bearings. point is unless you take them apart to inspect you may be no better off than you are now.

On your model the head gaskets are $$$ you can use aftermarket but they are a bit less reliable. I bet they were changing mains and it I split the cases on a high mile motor I might as well. You said they have a good reputation and this may be the reason why, less failures when you install all new parts but unfortunately higher costs so it is always a trade off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts