Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know the difference between the ZG SR and stock screen for the original ST ('98 to '03) fairing.
Has anyone noted the difference between the two?

Is the ZG SR smaller?

I really prefer a smaller screen so that the airflow is NOT right at mid-helmet. I'm happy with things, but if I sit up a little bit, I really prefer the clean, undisturbed air. Sure is quiet.

Thanks for any info. And a stock / ZG SR pic (before/after) or two wouldn't be bad either.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Sorry, but I never had a stock screen on my ST. It came with two touring screens. Both met unfortunate ends. Before I received a ZG SR screen from ZGO, I cut down the last touring screen by some 4in. It was a phenominal difference over the original touring height.

FYI, I'm just over 6ft with a 30in inseam (tall torso) and use a Shoei X-11.

As you noted, the cut down screen allowed my helmet to be in much cleaner air. The rain flew off better also. The problem was, to remove all the damage, I had to make odd cuts on the outside near the fairing.

So, I finally installed the ZG SR. It is a touch taller than the cut down screen, but pretty darn nice. It also doesn't bulge out as much at the bottom compared to the two other screens I had. They were not branded in any way but were much thinner than the ZG screen.

The only other thing I know was that some other folks liked the stock height a lot better than the touring height. Fishmonger for one, and now me.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tonered.
This is what I thought. I checked ZGO (outlet) and they do not list the 98-03 SR screen on their site. Only the ST (which I do not want). I sent them a message. Hopefully they have some.
Did you find the same thing? How did you order your SR screen?

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
No problem.

I got mine from ZGO on eBay. It was the SR size, noted to be light smoke in color, but it is quite dark (enough to please me anyway).

Again, I'm sorry, but I do not know how it compares to the Duc size, but $200+ for a clear screen is just nutz.

I would think that ZGOs inventory varies quite a bit.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I should have the ZG SR screen today or tomorrow. I took off the stock (99 ST4) screen and now have the ZG ST screen. Bad wind noise is my reason for doing this. But the ZG ST is not great in this regard either.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=69979
I tried new Arai Profile helmet over the weekend and it cuts down on the noise a little, but ears still ring, with plugs. So if the SR screen does not work, I will next try the Laminar Touring attachment.

ZGO did not answer me regarding return of my ST screen...so be advised. Ordered the SR from ZG site over the phone.

Interested in knowing how u make out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a ZG ST screen on my st3 I like it a lot. The wind hits a little higher then mid helmet which with a SHOIE Multitech means the noise is reduced. The Multitech has flip up chin-bar and gets noisy when the helmet is totally in the wind flow. I use the Multitech when I ride to work so I don't have to remove my helmet to get through security at the gate. They say they have to see my face and they have guns I don't argue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The only other thing I know was that some other folks liked the stock height a lot better than the touring height. Fishmonger for one, and now me.
Not quite accurate Tony. I like the stock screen better than the Ducati "Touring" Screen (or whoever makes it for them), but I like the ZG touring screen better than the stock one. The Ducati touring screen was much noisier than stock, but the ZG touring seems slightly quieter, at least for my height of 5'11") and takes more of the wind pressure off my torso at speed (less fatiguing). However, he is questioning the short ZG sport shield vs the stock one. In pictures it looks smaller, but I have no experience with it.

By the way, apologize for not getting back to you. Just remembered I had not replied to your email.

Regards,
Fred

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just got the SR screen delivered. So it looks like I will install it Thurs. I'll try to take some pics/compare to the ST shield on the bike..

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Hey Fred. Sorry about that. Did you get the ZG screen since the last time I was over? I can't remember which you had at the time.

I don't know how thick the Duc screens are, but I wonder if the thickness of the ZG screens (along with what appears to be some nice shaping) contribute to the smoother air? Do the ZG screens seem thicker to you?

No problem. It was riding season up until today. I was enjoying the dry season and not really looking forward to anything beyond that, esp as it has been too freakin' busy on the weekends. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got the SR screen delivered. So it looks like I will install it Thurs. I'll try to take some pics/compare to the ST shield on the bike..
Thanks. Looking forward to the pics.
In the mean time, can you give me the low-down? Material thickness vs. stock. Shorter than stock (picture appears to be)? Overall impression?

I tried ZGO (Outlet) but they only have a blue one n stock. Err...no-thanks.
So if I'm convinced, it looks like I'll have to go full retail. (I HATE paying full retail!)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kramer,
LOL on the retail...

My bike lives remotely from me...so I won't see it until Thurs...sorry.
I can say that the ZG SR has no flip-up as both the stock and ZG ST screens have.

The contour is similarly rounded, however.

Sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
108 Posts
ZG SR and ST Pics and Impression

I changed out the ZG ST screen (which was buffeting my helmet with a lot of turbulent air and unbearable helmet noise) with the smaller ZG SR screen. Much less turbulent, cleaner air at helmet, less noise. Big improvement.

[As an aside, this day I also swapped bikes with my brother who has a Sport 1000S. His minimal screen gave the best, quietest airflow of the 3. Kind of ironic.]

Here are some pics for comparison. I am leaving the SR screen on; may still try the Laminar Lip on the ST or OEM screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Moto Vincenzo: Great pics. I found that helmet noise is only one factor in the windshield equation. The other is wind pressure on your upper torso. you need enough wind on your upper body to lift you off the bars, but not so much that you are constantly straining against it. Earlier this year I went on a high speed tour through windy eastern Oregon (great twisties) with the stock shield in place. I found my self much more fatigued than touring at 70 MPH in still air. Since I replaced the stock screen with the ZG touring screen I am more relaxed at speed, but the air is still sufficient to push me upright. I just do not have to fight it. I think that is really what a touring shield is designed to do, lessen fatigue, not lessen wind noise. For that you need to somehow decrease the updraft that comes in under the helmet. It appears that in the cleaner air of the lower ZG sport shield updraft is less than with any of the other shield options we are discussing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, I hope they are useful.

I consider wind noise to factor into the fatigue equation too. Hearing damage is irreversible, and my ears ring after riding with the ST shield. Can't have that.

I may take a day long ride tomorrow with the SR shield, we'll see/hear how it goes. :)

If I try the Laminar I'll post here or wherever appropriate.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great input. Thanks!
I do recommend earplugs with ANY shiled you run. Good plugs significantly reduce unwanted noise which allows you to clearly hear desirable noises (i.e, the lovely sound of the motor).

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm runnning the laminar lip (touring) and the stock screen , works well with my height as i get very limited buffeting above 80 , can cruz at 70 with no problems at all .
Oh yeah ,,, ear plugs are a must .

·
Registered
126 Posts
I too hate wind noise. Tried both Ducati windscreens and found I prefer the taller one... I think it's called the Touring screen, not sure. Haven't tried ZG. Less wind on the body and same wind noise as the shorter one.

I use an earplug that is like Playdo. Easy to mould in the ear and works better for me than the many foam types I have tried - I never can get the foam ones inserted properly. If anyone is interested I'll post up the link later when I'm at home.

The thing that has saved me has been using my balaclava to block the wind from coming up under my helmet. This is a thin, lycra type balaclava that I roll up around my neck. After putting on my helmet I tuck it up under and around my ears and it cuts the wind noise significantly. Highly recommended. I expect you can get the same result with a bandana.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
+1 on the ear plugs. I only go without if I'm running to the grocery store and not exceeding 35mph.

One thing to try is a bump guard for a car door. That helped a bit on one of my old touring screens. The guard I got from NAPA had a bead of adhesive on the inside that allowed it to stick, but was removable without residue.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm runnning the laminar lip (touring) and the stock screen , works well with my height as i get very limited buffeting above 80 , can cruz at 70 with no problems at all .
Oh yeah ,,, ear plugs are a must .
Please tell us your height. Still considering the LL Touring. Yes, I always wear earplugs! :)

I too hate wind noise. ...I use an earplug that is like Playdo. Easy to mould in the ear and works better for me than the many foam types I have tried - I never can get the foam ones inserted properly. If anyone is interested I'll post up the link later when I'm at home.

The thing that has saved me has been using my balaclava to block the wind from coming up under my helmet. This is a thin, lycra type balaclava that I roll up around my neck. After putting on my helmet I tuck it up under and around my ears and it cuts the wind noise significantly. Highly recommended. I expect you can get the same result with a bandana.
Yes, let's see those plugs. I've been using foam plugs for years, so I'm used to it. I like the baklava idea. I bought the "Windjammer" but have not tried it yet. I believe my new super expensive Arai Profile helmet might be louder than my $89.00 Z-1R. So might return it and put the Windjammer on the cheap one.

+1 on the ear plugs. I only go without if I'm running to the grocery store and not exceeding 35mph.

One thing to try is a bump guard for a car door. That helped a bit on one of my old touring screens. The guard I got from NAPA had a bead of adhesive on the inside that allowed it to stick, but was removable without residue.

Have a good one.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts