Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing research, or trying to, on the 620 Sport, I realized there was not much information out there. After buying it (Sept 08), I sent an e-mail to both Ducati and DNA seeking information as it appeared there weren't too many of them out there. The responses I got back from each were quite different.

From DNA
It is Ducati Corporate Policy not to release the production numbers for any
model that was not an official limited edition with a numbered plaque on the
triple clamp. You may be able to find some unofficial number in publications
such as “Standard Catalog of Ducati Motorcycles 1946-2005”* by Ian Falloon.
*I bought the book online, and numbers for my bike weren't listed :(

From Ducati
thanks for contacting us and for your Ducati passion. First of all we would kindly invite you to accept our apologies for the delay in answering you due to technical inconvenience.

With reference to your request, I inform you that the total number of 2003 620 Sport produced by Ducati were 796.

Your bike should have the VIN: ZDM1LA2KX3B000116, that corresponds to a 2003 620 Sport, California specs, grey colour, faired. It was produced in August 2002.

The number of units produced as yours (that is, produced for the US market) were 142.

We would take moreover the opportunity to inform you that your bike still shows the first owner in our files: in order to update our records and associate your name with the bike, I would kindly invite you to provide me with your personal details (full address and date of birth) and to send me a copy of your vehicle’s registration document / certificate of title as an attachment (PDF or JPG format). Alternatively, you may send your documentation via fax at the following number: 0039.051.6413268, for the attention of Cristina Peiro.
That would enable us to update our DB and your personal Ducati Card will be issued and sent to your address.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Has anyone else experienced this stark difference of attitude between the two entities?

PS. Hopefully no one knows Christina as some ugly, fat, balding 70 year old oman. I prefer to think of her as the stereotypical hot Italian girl, so please don't ruin my fantasy. :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Street Triple
90 Posts
While doing research, or trying to, on the 620 Sport, I realized there was not much information out there. After buying it (Sept 08), I sent an e-mail to both Ducati and DNA seeking information as it appeared there weren't too many of them out there. The responses I got back from each were quite different.

From DNA

*I bought the book online, and numbers for my bike weren't listed :(

From Ducati

Has anyone else experienced this stark difference of attitude between the two entities?

PS. Hopefully no one knows Christina as some ugly, fat, balding 70 year old oman. I prefer to think of her as the stereotypical hot Italian girl, so please don't ruin my fantasy. :rolleyes::p
I don't know, but you might have just gotten your fantasy girl fired. Say corporate policy is as stated by DNA. Then she just made a mistake that is all over the internet.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Absolutely.

I had a friend who blew up his 1098 on a race weekend. DNA wouldn't cover it due to the fact it had been a legal race bike. It was clearly a manufacturing issue (loose flywheel) and DNA told him to go screw. He sent a letter to Ducati Italy and within 3 business days, his bike was being fixed. IDK what he said or what he did, but it was taken care of.

I don't think DNA delivers the same "passion" for the product as Ducati Italy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
210 Posts
US corporations are such heartless bastards, it's itsane....

The guy/gal at DNA much have been such a lazy effer! "Corporate Policy" is just another word for "Go F*** Yourself"

I love Italians!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think someone at DNA just fired off quick a reply to your question just because they felt obligated to do so, but may not have been the whole truth. And if it’s someone in a higher up position, they are probably scrambling to make it policy now to “save face”.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was a corporate guy for 30+ years. they are not heartless bastards... they ARE overrun by lawyers because the "system" allows lawsuits over anything and the public is just looking for a chance to score against the "big guys"...

Your prices for everything are higher because of it.

Get some other dog to kick... the corporate guys are just trying to survive like everyone else...

Rant Made Off...
you may continue your previous programming....

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I was a corporate guy for 30+ years. they are not heartless bastards... they ARE overrun by lawyers because the "system" allows lawsuits over anything and the public is just looking for a chance to score against the "big guys"...

Your prices for everything are higher because of it.

Get some other dog to kick... the corporate guys are just trying to survive like everyone else...

Rant Made Off...
you may continue your previous programming....

FWIW, that is not true about banks. I've never had a positive experience with a bank when trying to get a mortgage. And, I've got a couple incomes guaranteed for life in addition to excellent FICO scores and rental property. I am currently into my 4th month on a re-fi application. And. BTW if you've ever tried to deal with a cable provider you know it's about as bad as it gets. Ever try to get technical advice for almost anything only to get hooked up with some "support" staff who speaks english with an accent so thick you can't tell if it's english or swahili? And, the stories go on and on and on. Now I have to stop.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I agree....where do banks ( in particular ) get away with this 'good guys trapped in a intimated by lawyers corporate structure ??????

To the point of the posted on subject - you are being naive. DNA is a wholly owned profit center by Ducati. They don't have....by design !.....the resources for doing something like this. Moreover, the people you talk to will likely not be there in another month or two. The pay is horrible and they get what they pay for.

The factory has always been responsive to my requests for information. For that I am delighted and appreciative.

FWIW, that is not true about banks. I've never had a positive experience with a bank when trying to get a mortgage. And, I've got a couple incomes guaranteed for life in addition to excellent FICO scores and rental property. I am currently into my 4th month on a re-fi application. And. BTW if you've ever tried to deal with a cable provider you know it's about as bad as it gets. Ever try to get technical advice for almost anything only to get hooked up with some "support" staff who speaks english with an accent so thick you can't tell if it's english or swahili? And, the stories go on and on and on. Now I have to stop.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have asked DNA question and got the corporate "we can't help you" response. Same question to Ducati Italy and I get quick and friendly and helpful response....expect when they are on "Holiday" :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have dealt with horrible customer service before and will again. Whenever I had a problem with a Ducati - once - it was repaired immediately. I have owned four; I own two now. In my experience, those who complain the most are those who will never be happy regardless.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
About 10 years ago, when the Ducatis Unlimited Connection website (www.duc.bz) was new, I had an animated GIF on the home page consisting of the classic 'winged D.' with the wings flapping like it was in flight. After about a year I got a letter from one of Ducati's lawyers saying it was a copyright infringement and if I did not remove it from the site the company would take legal action. Coincidentally I had just been approached by the editor of Ducati.com in Bologna to start writing a monthly column ("Back Road Musings") for the corporate site. When I mentioned the letter from the legal team he became very upset. "That is just the sort of attitudes and dealings we are trying to eliminate!" he said. Not desirous of getting caught in the crossfire I kept the GIF off the DUC. I expect that battle will likely go on for ever.

-don

·
Registered
24 Posts
ducati vs dna

i just recently contacted dna customer service about my leaking radiator problem on my 848. told them it's been an ongoing issue with these bikes and was told by dealership that the new radiator is not an updated part. also, radiator is backordered! dna customer service basically told me to pound sand and wait for the radiator coming from italy. so, i emailed ducati (italy) and also sent a letter to nhtsa. hopefully, i will get a different and more positive response from ducati before they go on their vacation.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I can't say I've had any issues with DNA. I won a set of tires from them at the Fontana superbike round. Maybe it's a pre-emptive bribe for future fuck-overs....

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Absolutely.

I had a friend who blew up his 1098 on a race weekend. DNA wouldn't cover it due to the fact it had been a legal race bike. It was clearly a manufacturing issue (loose flywheel) and DNA told him to go screw. He sent a letter to Ducati Italy and within 3 business days, his bike was being fixed. IDK what he said or what he did, but it was taken care of.

I don't think DNA delivers the same "passion" for the product as Ducati Italy.
I won't debate your questioning of DNAs "passion". I've never dealt with them. But ...

Try getting "warranty" coverage on any real racecar (LOLA, Zytek, Dallara, etc) and tell me how it works out oh Entitled One. There is zero reason for DNA to cover your friends bike even if an engineer proved that the part/workmanship was "defective". It is (or was turned into) a race bike by your own admission and a certain level of acceptance for these kinds of things is expected.

It is also accepted/expected that a race machine be maintained to a certain level by the owner so why should Ducati cover it? Why didn't your friend tighten the nut correctly last service? That would be Ducatis question to your friend.

What you and your friend OUGHT to do is thank profusely Ducati HQ for going out of their way to help you out. It is THAT person who may lose their job, not the girl who gave out detailed production info about a particular bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No offense intended, but if you friend was a proper racer he'd have been through the bike while preparing it and retorqued everything- from the factory of not... This is exactly why Ducati (or any other car/moto/marine OEM) doesn't cover racing under warranty

I won't debate your questioning of DNAs "passion". I've never dealt with them. But ...

Try getting "warranty" coverage on any real racecar (LOLA, Zytek, Dallara, etc) and tell me how it works out oh Entitled One. There is zero reason for DNA to cover your friends bike even if an engineer proved that the part/workmanship was "defective". It is (or was turned into) a race bike by your own admission and a certain level of acceptance for these kinds of things is expected.

It is also accepted/expected that a race machine be maintained to a certain level by the owner so why should Ducati cover it? Why didn't your friend tighten the nut correctly last service? That would be Ducatis question to your friend.

What you and your friend OUGHT to do is thank profusely Ducati HQ for going out of their way to help you out. It is THAT person who may lose their job, not the girl who gave out detailed production info about a particular bike.

·
Registered
578 Posts
DNA does suck bigtime. I was told by the service dept of a well known So.Cal Ducati dealer that they would not cover a problem with my bike because another part not relating to the defective part had been modified, so therefore my warranty was voided. After complaining to the service manager, he said they completely understood my position but that they had a regional Ducati manager come out once every couple weeks to look at problem bikes and the guy usually said no to most repairs the dealership wanted done on customers bikes. Now I dont have that bike anymore, and wont take my 999r to the dealer for any reason, much rather have a competent private shop work on the bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts