Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I asked Ducati to check out mine for me prior to purchase this was the reply:-

Thanks you for contacting us.

We've just checked out the Vin number you provided us with in our database, with the following result:

Model: 916SPSFG
Model year: 98
Bike line: Hypersport

From This VIN ZDMH100AAWB-******

We remain at your disposal.

Best regards.

Noemi

Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale – Italy

·
Registered
503 Posts
I asked Ducati to check out mine for me prior to purchase this was the reply:-

Thanks you for contacting us.

We've just checked out the Vin number you provided us with in our database, with the following result:

Model: 916SPSFG
Model year: 98
Bike line: Hypersport

From This VIN ZDMH100AAWB-******

We remain at your disposal.

Best regards.

Noemi

Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale – Italy
Noemi was great! Dealt with her on many occasions. It's a pitty she's no longer there. However her replacement Alexia rocks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got a bit of a puzzle...for a 'motorcycle model' the character in my VIN is 'X'...& for 'engine displacement' my 848 has an 'M', which in fact should be a number?!
What could this mean? All the other codes & characters in the VIN seem to check out though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've got a bit of a puzzle...for a 'motorcycle model' the character in my VIN is 'X'...& for 'engine displacement' my 848 has an 'M', which in fact should be a number?!
What could this mean? All the other codes & characters in the VIN seem to check out though.
Ducati can assign any letter or number it chooses to a particular character that represents a model type or engine type. I posted this VIN decode seven years ago, so there have been some new models and engines since then. Here's a VIN for a US 2013 848 EVO corse:
ZDM 1XBMV 6 D B 000001

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can anyone help

I am trying to decode VIN: ZDM14BUW1EBxxxxxx for a Ducati 800

Here's what I know so far

Z = Italy
D = Ducati
M= Motorcycle (I think)
1 = Street version
4 = Superbike (It think)

B -= Liquid cooled V-Twin
U = ???
W = ???
1 = Check digit
E = 2014
B = Bologna
XXXXXX is the serial number for the bike

Can anyone advise what the U and W are specifically?

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
U = Ducati code for the 900's engine displacement
W = Ducati code for the 900's horsepower

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 49 CFR Part 565 requires that VIN characters 4 though 8 encode motorcycle make, type of motorcycle, line, engine type, and net brake horsepower.

How this information is encoded is decided by the manufacturer. Ducati hasn't published their coding, so I can only offer some examples:

Character 7: Engine Displacement
1 = (examples: none)
2 = 600cc (examples: 620SS)
3 = 750cc (examples: Paso 748, 750 Sport, 750SS, 748/R, Monster 750, 749)
3 = Australian 1996 900SS
4 = 900cc (examples: 900SS, M900e Mike Hailwood)
5 = (examples: 996, 998, 999, ST4S)
6 = (examples: 851)
7 = (examples: 888 SPO)
8 = (examples: 916, Monster S4, Monster 1000)
9 = (examples: 996SPS, 996R)
0 = (examples: Mike Hailwood Mille 1000)
B = (examples: GT1000 (992cc))
M = 848 cc

Character 8: Net Brake Horsepower
H = (examples: 750 Sport)
K = (examples: 750SS, 620SS)
L = (examples: E900 Elefant, Monster 750)
M = (examples: 750SS, 750 F1 Laguna Seca)
N = (examples: Paso 748, Paso 907ie, 900SS, Monster 900, 900SS, MH900e Mike Hailwood)
P = (examples: ST2, Monster 1000, Multistrada)
R = (examples: Mille 1000 Mike Hailwood, 851, 888SPO, 748/S)
S = (examples: 916, Monster S4, 748R, 749)
T = (examples: 851 Tricolor Racer, 996/S, ST4S, 999)
V = (examples: 916SPS, 996SPS, 998/998S, 999S)

Perhaps Ducati is using a two character code — combining character 7 with character 8 (i.e., 8S for the 916) to designate engine horsepower rating. Dunno.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In 2008 the rules on VINs changed and the meaning of several characters changed.

Each year Ducati needs to submit their VIN number decoding information for all bikes available.

I have obtained a copy of the 2014 VIN decoding information from Ducati North America covering all bikes sold in 2014.

Please find it attached as both a jpg and a pdf.

Attachments

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have obtained a copy of the 2014 VIN decoding information from Ducati North America covering all bikes sold in 2014.

Please find it attached as both a jpg and a pdf.
Thank you very much. Questions regarding VINs come up on the forums regularly and this info is more specific than earlier decoding info we were using.

·
Registered
276 Posts
In an attempt to not start a new thread unecessarily, I'd like to ask if a non-US Ducati can be imported to the USA without undue trouble. I live in Japan- and see one I like, but I'm trying to think long-term.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You need to obtain a Letter of Conformity from Ducati or else hire someone licensed by the US EPA to modify it and certify that it meets US standards. The LOC is essentially equivalent to the DOT federal safety certification label and EPA emissions label that are required to be affixed to all imported bikes.

It's my understanding that Ducati Japan will assist their dealers in providing the necessary parts and conforming labels/certifying documents for exporting some Japanese models to the US. They will then do all the paperwork necessary to verify you have a US specification bike, including providing all applicable EPA/DOT stickers.

If you are overseas US military, here's more info:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducati-motorcycle-chat/40619-importing-euro-spec-bike-3.html

The pipes, headlights, reflectors, speedometer and emissions need to be EPA/DOT conforming. On some bikes you may need to replacing the left switch assembly and the speedometer (to read mph), and computer EPROM (for emissions).

21 - 40 of 50 Posts