Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't mean to go off on a rant here but I have to share. I'm still in shock from the lengthy phone conversation I just had with a very robotic and unsympathetic customer service rep at Ducati-USA in Kaleefornia.

The back-story: Took my 2008 Ducati 1098 to the local dealer (Meyers Ducati in Asheville, NC) a couple of weeks ago to fix a fogging dash under warranty. The bike fogs up on virally every ride.. Some days it's worse than others. Some days I can't read anything.. RPMs, speed, clock, temp, etc.. Some days the fog is just centered at the top obscuring just a certain range of rpms.. This is what it looks like on a good day. (see pic).

A few weeks ago, I called the main office and this same customer rep OK'd a fix which consisted of the dealer taking the dash apart.. cleaning the back of the lens with vinegar. They assured me this would solve the problem. They agreed to cover the labor. I said fine.. If it works I'll be happy. I'm easy. I should mention that this is a VERY common problem with the new 1098 s.. Many 1098 owners I have spoken have actually received a new dash from Ducati to solve their problems. I guess that started running into serious money so now (they tell me) they agree to clean the lens only. Fine.

Last week I had the dealer do the fix. It didn't work. No difference.

Today I called Ducati USA at 408-253-0499 and spoke to the same young lady and explained that her fix didn't work. She said.. She hated to hear this but that's all they were willing to do. Say what?? ..

I said.. Are you telling me that you don't care if I can't read the instrumentation on my new $15,000 motorcycle..? She said of course I care.. We're just not going to do anything about it.

I said.. Are you telling me that Ducati will NOT stand behind their product and fix this obvious design flaw in order to keep this customer happy? She said.. We want you to be happy.. We're just not going to do anything about this problem.

I said.. What would YOU do if you went out and bought a $15,000 car and when you drove it.. You couldn't read the dash? She said.. I'd take it back to the dealer for repair.

I said.. OK.. How is that different than this situation? * crickets *

I said.. Are you telling me that if I tell you right now that I'll never buy another Ducati unless you step up to the plate and repair my bike..you're still not gonna repair it? ? She said.. That is correct.

Unbelievable!! The young lady refused to let me speak to anyone higher up. She was cool the entire time. I didn't rip into her (as is my nature) as I could tell she was just telling me what her superiors had told her to say.. and she sounded just like my daughter. But I made it clear to her that this would NOT be the end of this.. She suggested I write a letter. I told her I would but I'd also share the experience with my peers all over the www.

Does this level of apathy strike anyone as shocking? Or is it just me? Makes me really appreciate the treatment I've gotten from BMW, Yamaha, and MV Agusta through the years.

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

Tomorrow I'll call the local dealership (which didn't want to do the FIRST fix) and then the dealership where I bought the bike to see if either will do something to help me.. I'll report back with my findings.

Attachments

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Huh, thats a strange issue isn't it. I've had an 848 for a year and 1/2, never seen that.

Well, I'd call or write Ducati Italy, screw the American's.

See, DNA has no passion, its all about making money... The Italian's care about the passion part and likewise, they help! I'm sure they can make a call to DNA and get it taken care of for ya.

Letter to Italy, Letter to DNA... it will be fixed. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Letter to Ducati Italy, copy furnish Ducati NA. I am confident that they will address the issue.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
i'm 6 weeks into having 2 exhaust valve guides replaced. so far, DNA agrees that it's under warranty.... presumably AFTER the labor/expense of disassembly borne by the owner.

·
Registered
559 Posts
WOW! Very not good to hear!

I've been worried about similar issues if my cluster starts doing that or my radiator starts leaking.

Seems like you could find an email for the VP of customer relations for Ducati NA. I bet a courteous yet concerned email would go a long way! Sucks you need to put that much effort into it but I've had great results with other companies going this route!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
WOW! Very not good to hear!

I've been worried about similar issues if my cluster starts doing that or my radiator starts leaking.

Seems like you could find an email for the VP of customer relations for Ducati NA. I bet a courteous yet concerned email would go a long way! Sucks you need to put that much effort into it but I've had great results with other companies going this route!
my courteous yet concerned e-mail seems to have gone nowhere.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Huh, thats a strange issue isn't it. I've had an 848 for a year and 1/2, never seen that.
You don't have near the same variation in ambient temp/humidity/barometric pressure that he experiences in lovely Naz, PA.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Pirate....I feel your pain, I think I spoke to the same woman about two weeks ago.

I won't trouble all of you with my story but, "Cliff Notes" version, when I bought my new '08 1098S the dealer (I dealt with the owner of the dealership directly) made several agreements. As soon as he got my cashiers check he decided he didn't have to fulfill those commitments. Bottom line when I spoke to the rep at DNA she said "We can not force the dealers to honor their commitments". <------I almost crapped, I couldn't believe she had said that

So here we are 3 months after the purchase, I've filed complaints with the New Hampshire BBB and the states "Attorney Generals" office...will see:think:

Sad thing, It's a very cool, Fun Motorcycle :(

·
Registered
900 Posts
All motorcycle companies have crummy service at times. Unfortunately, a lot depends on the dealer to advocate the warranty for you. Since the dealer network and support network of Ducati North America seem to be overwhelmed with actually servicing their bikes and underwhelmed by the commitment and passion the customer has, it won't be long that the continued crap treatment of the customers catches up to them. It seems like all the bikes in the Ducati range have issues we try to defend with the "quirk" or "personality" labels to ease our minds after paying premium prices. I've been around motorcycles nearly 40 years now and don't mind if a bike has issues, it's just how well a manufacturer and dealer make it right that counts. Sounds like in this case, it's another strike out on all fronts. Great write up and very fair in your situation.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
All motorcycle companies have crummy service at times. Unfortunately, a lot depends on the dealer to advocate the warranty for you. Since the dealer network and support network of Ducati North America seem to be overwhelmed with actually servicing their bikes and underwhelmed by the commitment and passion the customer has, it won't be long that the continued crap treatment of the customers catches up to them. It seems like all the bikes in the Ducati range have issues we try to defend with the "quirk" or "personality" labels to ease our minds after paying premium prices. I've been around motorcycles nearly 40 years now and don't mind if a bike has issues, it's just how well a manufacturer and dealer make it right that counts. Sounds like in this case, it's another strike out on all fronts. Great write up and very fair in your situation.
point especially well expressed. my home dealer's posture is "if it's a ducati or bmw problem, then it's a damn DUCATI or BMW PROBLEM". I don't yet feel that sense of advocacy in my present service situation. my home dealer's offered to make a call on my behalf, but i've thought that'd be out of bounds prior to resolution. believe me, if it's not satisfactory, I'll have the call made. any weirdness in the two tales will commit me to ensuring that I undo my ducati footprint.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have had issues with past Ducs, and have had friends with larger issues with past Ducs. (not all in the particular warranty periods even) Leaking tank, paint flaws, dash on ST, etc, In all instances, myself and my friends have gone to the dealer. Just letting DNA tell their dealers that its not covered gets me nowhere and removes the dealer from the loop. A good dealer will get it resolved for you. If your local dealer doesn't have enough pull with DNA then find another dealer. Believe me, a decent dealer doesn't EVEN talk to the woman that you are talking to on the customer service lines.

mark

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree.. Tommorow we're gonna run all this by the new service guy at Meyers and then the dealer I bought from to see if either want to help me resolve this in a civilized manner. May as well play nice before I unleash the dogs of war. Also.. I will be writing a letter or two to the Italian suits behind the curtain.. I'm curious as to what they'll say.

In the big picture.. all new model bikes probably have some minor issues.. Some brands more than others, but everyone here knows this. At least BMW owns up to things and generally will work with you until problems are resolved. While I love the 1098.. this situation, as minor as it may be, has really left a bad taste in my mouth. Makes me wonder what they'd do if something serious were to happen... Until I get resolution to this.. I'll hold my judgement of the company as a whole in check. Obviously I shouldn't jump to dire conclusions after speaking to just one apathetic customer service rep.

it's not over yet, and the servicing dealer still has the opportunity to help achieve a mutually agreeable resolution.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
it's odd that in light of ''record sales'' and glowing reveiws of their product lines ,that ducati is pinching pennies on warranty work.yet a few years ago under the threat of going under they were ''goodwilling'' rocker arms and such ,far after the warranty period.mkes you wonder if bigger is better

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The dealer is the point of contact with the customer, and if they wish to keep the customer a customer they willl make it right. The referral to DNA is a cop-out, the dealers are the ones to take the case to DNA, or at least a regional service rep.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
It is incredibly frustrating to deal with that kind of .....I guess I'm just going to have to call it stupidity. I had the same thing happen to me with CRG mirrors which I have been buying for the past 10 yrs. or so. They just didn't care about customer relations. As a result I'm done with CRG. I hope you get a better result. Good luck and don't give up. (Not that I think you will. :))

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with CRG mirrors which I have been buying for the past 10 yrs. or so. They just didn't care about customer relations. As a result I'm done with CRG. I hope you get a better result.
Bruce...Thanks for the heads-up on the CRGs'.....I've got the DP style mirrors on my 1098 now, their an improvement over stock but, I have considered the CRGs'. That will not happen now :)

Jerry....Good Luck, I think I'll be writing a letter to Ducati across the pond myself. I just hope they have the passion for these motorcycles that they advertise:confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts