Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After waiting 3 months my spare plastics finally arrived. It is the Ducati Performance brand, quality is excellent, very thick. The cost of Ducati Performance plastics is only a couple hundred more than Sharkskinz, and it does give the option to use it on the street, so I chose this. I am somewhat disappointed at the fit because I expect it to be near-perfect, but not so. Regardless, they were still very good. The material, supposedly a new one they use called Avio Fiber is light and THICK!! So I am happy about this.

I bought these as a spare for the street and for use on ocassional track days. The set is sold as "ready for painting" but in reality, it's not as easy. I went out and got some quotes to have it painted, but the cheapest I got was $600. My bike is attending no beauty contests so I decided to save the money and do it on my own. I had never done it before so it might be a nice little adventure.

Now I was ready to make a disaster out of my fairings, and just thought "do the best you can." After consulting with some friends, forum members here and elsewhere, I visited Pep Boys, bought six cans of Krylon Semi Flat Black Paint and hoped for the best.

Here is "before:"





And here is "After:"






I blew-up the pics so it can be seen a little bit close-up.

I really liked the color, as I could swear it could pass for a 749 Dark from 20 feet away, which I liked very much, except that it is just a tad bit more "flat" in the finish.

It is far from factory work... but as the say, it's definitely good enough for "guv'mint work" I think! :D

Total Cost of Painting: $30
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Migz,

Add to the knowledge and reduce our collective ignorance by posting the actual ( NOT claimed) weight of both the standard plastic and the DP stuff.

It should make an interesting dollars per pound saved number such as we use in aviation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know but it passed the old 'blind justice' test. OEM carbon on my right hand, Avio Fiber on the left... voila, the left went higher... Good 'nuff for guv'mint work again Lol :D


.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
Lazy or just embarrassed ?

-1 !

OH I SEE...so the new ones don't weight any less, and we only have the claims of the manufacturer to go on ? Doesn't sound like much of a recommendation for anyone here.

ROFL........didn't know that you were a government worker !

migz123 said:
I don't know but it passed the old 'blind justice' test. OEM carbon on my right hand, Avio Fiber on the left... voila, the left went higher... Good 'nuff for guv'mint work again Lol :D


.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Nice, Migz. Looks like your last bike...somewhat. Paint job looks good. I gotta tell ya though, I just came back from Fontana last week after I decided to finally paint my upper and lower track plastics (catalyst racing composites) with Krylon paint. I didn't use any clear coat as the can said it shouldn't chip after 7 days. By the time I got back from Fontana, it was so spotted with chips that it was actually quite funny. It was actually chipping off when I mounted it. Thank goodness for red permanent markers. You probably did a better job though, as it doesn't look like there's any chipping on yours.

I'm having it repainted by this cool guy in San Diego who did a great job with his own. I know it's gonna turn out a lot better than mine, plus he didn't charge a lot to do it. I'll post up pics when I get them back. Here's a pic of my Krylon paint job:



Note, my set is also streetable with headlight holes and everything...just in case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Hay Migz, good job! Ya the old saying sticks..."once you go black you never go back!".... Or shall we say Dark!

V-twin, I see you re running stock on the business end of your track bike, Is that preference, performance, or waiting for pipes? I'm having a hard time deciding on keeping it stock and removing the catalytic, or buying a half system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
StavesacredarK said:
V-twin, I see you re running stock on the business end of your track bike, Is that preference, performance, or waiting for pipes? I'm having a hard time deciding on keeping it stock and removing the catalytic, or buying a half system.
It's none of the above. It's actually timing and finance. I just picked up the bike a couple weeks prior to last week's track day, so the wallet was a little thin at the time. I had to add to the cost of the R (albeit I got it used) new tires, the suspension getting setup for my weight, and changing the sprockets and chain as the primary changes required for it to be track ready. I wanted to see how it ran with these changes with everything else stock. Power was definitely not as much as my 999, but the improved handling and weight of the bike made it more fun after I got used to it. I'll see about getting a full-Termi after I replenish my bank account.

Sorry for off-topic, Migz. Funny how we seem to lead parallel lives with having had a Dark before and now a 749R. I'd probably really trip out if you were wearing grey underwear at the time you read this.
 

·
MultiModerator
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
The matte black spray can looks great, only don't expect it to last too long. The spray can stuff just isn't as hard/durable as real automotive paint. Why didn't you shoot the gas tank ;)

I paint my own track bike bodywork, with automotive paint and the is 5X or more than the spray can. Not sure if it's worth the all the hassle and cost at times.

All the Sharkskinz bodywork I've used has been drill the mounting and it's ready to paint. My current Catalyst Racing Composites took a little more prep and did crack in a few places.

The material, supposedly a new one they use called Avio Fiber is light and THICK!!
Really, those two usually don't go together...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
vtwins4life said:
... I'd probably really trip out if you were wearing grey underwear at the time you read this.
Well start tripping out then... :D Just some proof that I WAS in fact wearing the said underwear at the time I read your spooky message! Since I know you are just DYING to know what underwear I am wearing:



Sorry ladies.... I'M TAKEN!!! Lol...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vduc said:
The matte black spray can looks great, only don't expect it to last too long. The spray can stuff just isn't as hard/durable as real automotive paint. Why didn't you shoot the gas tank ;)
Yes, I just got back from trackday and there already are some small pebble-size chips on it... It looks like I will need to add more coats...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Looks good! I painted my track bike the same color, flat black. Very easy to touch up after a crash.

One suggestion, if you can find a Flat clear coat that is compatible with your paint you might want to think about trying it. It will seal the finish and protect from liquids such as gas.

The flat clear will make it look like it is wet or closer to the ducati dark color.

Do a test piece first, because if the clear is from a different brand paint and its not compatiable, it will bubble up your paint like you just put some chemical stripper on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DanTheMan said:
Looks good! I painted my track bike the same color, flat black. Very easy to touch up after a crash.

One suggestion, if you can find a Flat clear coat that is compatible with your paint you might want to think about trying it. It will seal the finish and protect from liquids such as gas.

The flat clear will make it look like it is wet or closer to the ducati dark color.

Do a test piece first, because if the clear is from a different brand paint and its not compatiable, it will bubble up your paint like you just put some chemical stripper on it.
That's actually what I'm thinking about doing... Krylon (same brand as I used on the fairings) makes "SATIN" colored clear-cloat that is acrylic ... would this be the one you are referring to? Perhaps this is the seal that I need for a "harder" surface?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
migz123 said:
That's actually what I'm thinking about doing... Krylon (same brand as I used on the fairings) makes "SATIN" colored clear-cloat that is acrylic ... would this be the one you are referring to? Perhaps this is the seal that I need for a "harder" surface?
Satin, i believe would be a semi gloss. I'm fairly certain the one that i used said "flat" clear but i dont remeber who made it. Picked it up from Orchard Supply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DanTheMan said:
Satin, i believe would be a semi gloss. I'm fairly certain the one that i used said "flat" clear but i dont remeber who made it. Picked it up from Orchard Supply.
... there's an Orchard Supply near my home, I'll make a quick stop there if the Satin thing does not pan out... Thanks Dan


nuggets said:
what works very well is the krylon ultra flat that is used to paint utility/farm/hunting vehicles and stuff. i think it was called camo black. i painted an sv and the paint lasted forever.
Ya I saw that one on the shelves ... how many coats did you apply?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
FYI: i used that same paint on my race car and if you want it to look a lil more similar to the "dark" series its relatively easy. You don't even need any clearcoat. What i did was wet sand the paint with 2000grit, then applied some Zymol wax to it. It'll kick it up a notch with "glossy-ness" and be very close to the dark paint jobs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
duey said:
FYI: i used that same paint on my race car and if you want it to look a lil more similar to the "dark" series its relatively easy. You don't even need any clearcoat. What i did was wet sand the paint with 2000grit, then applied some Zymol wax to it. It'll kick it up a notch with "glossy-ness" and be very close to the dark paint jobs.
what a creative idea that is! I can imagine that in fact it will add just enough shine to get it very close to the OEM dark.

Color-rite.com does have what they call an "eggshell" coat that comes with the paint that is specific to the 749 Dark ... but at $20+ for the rattle can... I thought the price is a little too much, since they custom mix it anyway (it's not like they stock it)... so this zymol style might be a good alternative... thanks duey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Looks good, I like the black. However, if you don't want black bodywork and a red tank, you could color match with Krylon Fusion for plastic, color 2328 Red Pepper. I did my track body work, looks good IMO. Up close there is a very minor difference in color, but at 5 feet or more, can't tell the difference. See if you can tell the difference between the tank and bodywork. The tank is the factory paint that came with the bike.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top