Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
7 days of riding in Central and Northern California for an unforgettable road trip on Ducati motorcycles... Are you interested?

N.B.: This is a NON-FOR-PROFIT tour/trip organized by a few friends and Ducati enthusiasts. The more the merrier, so if you ride a Ducati (and I'm sure you do), join us if you can!

Our tour starts in Los Angeles (Santa Monica) on Saturday, September 5.
It ends in San Francisco on Friday, September 11.

Three of us will be coming from France and we will rent Ducati's from Racy Rentals (RentaDucati.com LA location): http://www.racyrentals.com/Ducati_Motorcycles.html (preferential rates if you mention us, contact me for more info)

Itinerary:
The first 2 days we will ride up north along the Pacific coast on the mythic California State Route 1 (or Pacific Coast Highway, or Highway 1) famous for running by some of the most beautiful coastlines in the world.

The next 5 days will be dedicated to a great, twisting and scenic loop in Northern California, riding through some of the most beautiful roads... of the world! We will continue to ride up north along the Pacific coast on Highway 1 and 101, then in Crescent City only a few miles from Oregon we will head north-east on US Route 199 before hitting the northern apex of our tour and start riding down to the south in another motorcycle paradise made up of US Routes 96, 299 and 36. The last 2 days, we will accomplish our escape riding through some of the best canyon roads along the Pacific coast.

Tour highlights: Pacific Coast Highway and US 101 up to Crescent City, SR 199, SR 96, SR 299, SR 3, SR 36, Briceland & Shelter Cove Roads, Branscomb Road, SR 128, Skagg Spring Road.

Overnight stays:
- Santa Monica on Friday, September 4
- Big Sur on September 5
- San Francisco on September 6
- Garberville on September 7
- Happy Camp on September 8
- Fortuna on September 9
- Mendocino or Fort Bragg on September 10
- San Francisco on September 11

Budget per person:
- Ducati rental (only if you need): $1,000-$1,500 depending on the bike (unlimited mileage and liability insurance included; $1,000-$1,500 deposit depending on the bike)
- Gas: $200
- Lodging: $500 (sharing a twin room)
- Food: $300

Let's ride!

·
Still needs a life.
12,599 Posts
Have you booked reservations on Happy Camp? I don't recall much there when I last went through. Weaverville is a good place to stayas well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you booked reservations on Happy Camp? I don't recall much there when I last went through. Weaverville is a good place to stayas well.
We haven't booked the hotels yet. Day 4 starts from Garberville and has to end near Happy Camp if we want to be able to ride a reasonable amount of time that day. There are only a couple places to stay in Happy Camp indeed... We'll be staying there on Tuesday, Sept 8 at night so right after Labor Day weekend. I hope there will be room for us then. We need to check soon!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Sur accommodation

I'm having difficulties finding a hotel/motel/cabin in the Big Sur area on Saturday, Sept 5. No wonder why...

We need at least 2 rooms with 2 beds in each room.

$75 maximum per person.

Any help appreciated! Thank you.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
you must make time to ride the Angeles Crest Highway (2), it's a must. from LAX it would be about a 45 minute ride to the base, and then a 25 minute ride to Upper Tujunga Road ("Nine Mile"), and then another 30 minutes? out to the 14/Palmdale area. Or perhaps ride up to the popular Newcomb's Ranch for a quick breakfast and enjoy the other motorcycles that will be on display there (popular biker hangout) and then double back. If that doesn't work, you could do a shorter Crest ride up to the Angeles Forest Highway turnoff and then ride the backside back down to Sunland and take the 118 out west towards Ojai and ride those roads out to the 101. That would be a pretty spectacular ride out towards the coast, much better than starting from LAX and heading north. I'm sure many here would agree.

Have a great ride whichever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like an awesome ride, I have ridden a part of Angeles Crest Highway before, but I'm afraid that route would be too long if we want to be in San Simeon area by late afternoon.

We plan to ride SR1 up to Ventura, then take the 33 and 166 to the 101.

Thanks.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
glad to hear that you've had a chance to ride it. have you contemplated taking the 33 to the 58 up to the 101 into San Luis Obispo? the 58 is spectacular!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like you are riding from San Francisco to Garberville on Sept 7, Labor Day. I might be able to join you for part of that leg of your journey. Maybe meet up in Pt Reyes Station and ride north on hwy 1 with you. Suggest some attractive detours if the roads get crowded. I would suggest that you start early that day and get through Marin and Sonoma counties asap, especially if it's warm. Lots of folks head toward the coast on weekends and holidays.

Sidenote - prepare for temps anywhere from 55 to 95 degrees. The coast can be windy, damp and cool, and you can ride a few miles inland and the temps will soar. Personally, I am not a great fan of the Lost Coast area, unless you are on dualsport type bikes. The roads tend to be tight and bumpy and it takes a lot of time to get anywhere. YMMV

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip, I'll think about joining you like Brian indicated somewhere North of SF. I'm outside of Sacramento. However, I have Scott's Bridgeport overnighter on the 19th, I don't know if the old lady will be happy with all my riding happiness.

Hows your itinerary at this point? Do you have reservations set up and could you provide the route you will be taking?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Guys,

Here is our itinerary as it is planned on Monday, Sept 7.

As you can see, nothing special about it, just Hwy1 and US101 that day.

The day before we'll be coming from San Simeon and the Cabrillo Hwy. (Sept 6 itinerary. Sept 5.)

The day after (Sept 8 itinerary) we'll ride toward Happy Camp.

Then this is our Sept 9 itinerary.

Sept 10. (Briceland & Shelter Cove roads, Branscomb road inside)

And Sept 11. (SR 128 and Skagg Springs Road inside)

Hotel reservations are all set up, but I'm sure there is still room for more people!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow, that's an impressive route. You guys will have a lot of great experiences and memories on this ride. I hope to meet up with you as described above. Still strongly suggest you get on the road early on the 5th, 6th and 7th to avoid weekend/holiday traffic. Sleep in after that..;)

Maybe John will be there as well and we can finally meet and ride together.... as we've been threatening to do for a long time :D

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Where will you be on the morning of the 8th? which hotel/motel will you be checking out of before heading to Happy Camp?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts