Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently had my '01 Ducati 900SS serviced (valves/tuneup) by a "certified Ducati technician" in Rosamond, CA. Anyway, it had been about ten days since the service, and I hadn't opened the gas tank or viewed the bike (in the garage) for several days. I went out to find the tank IMPLODED due to, what I believe to be, improper venting of the gas tank. Several other minor issues were present with the returned motorcycle but I was going to let them go-- Neutral light not coming on, couple drips from the bottom of the motor… Anyway, what can I do next? I don't plan on paying for it myself and I am sure he was negligent. Will comprehensive insurance cover it? Thank you… Charles Dodson

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Most likely culprit would be a kinked vent line somewhere!! Negligence on his part IMO. Be courteous, professional, and factual but yes, approach him about what happend and who is at fault. If he denies responsibility and before you make any threats of what you are going to do, notify him in writing by certified mail (with copies) of your intents. Wether they be BBB, small claims court, etc. Also helpful would be to have an attourney notify him by letter of your intentions...if you guys can not come to an agreeable conclusion. Address ALL your problems with the bike after returned from service. I had a brand new bike implode on day one on the way home from the dealership!!! Where did you find a "certified" guy in Rosamond???? I lived in Rosamond for three years.

·
Registered
970 Posts
talk to your dealer and have them approach DNA about a new tank, for what ever reasons, this has been known to happen on SSie series bikes. Most likely will be a warranty related issue. Do talk to them about the other minor issues as well.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
It's a service problem, not a warranty problem. Happened to mine as well after a service, but since I have a kevlar tank, it popped back into shape after opening the cap.

Anyway, the problem is the idiots don't verify the hose routing after a service, and a pinched vent hose will cause this to happen.

Tom

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Wow it can happen to gas tanks just like it happened to my fuel container in my garage!! :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Gas Tank

Yeah, post pictures! Silly me, I thought those gas tank imploding threads were just tall tales :eek: .

·
Registered
189 Posts
A friend of mine had this happen on his 2001 996 Bi.
The tank got sucked in on the top.
DNA did a warranty exchange on the tank for him.

·
Still needs a life.
12,593 Posts
The_Missnary said:
This will sound ignorant, but what exactly is DNA? I don't think the bike is covered by any warranty, anymore. Here are pics...
DNA = Ducati of North America.

·
Obsessive/Compulsive collector
326 Posts
If it's a known problem, the manufacturer may cover it past the warranty cut-off. VW did that a few years ago with a bum window regulator design. If they (DNA) don't cover it, take it up with the shop. Rember; kind & curtious but be strong.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Gas Tank

Wow, Crazy! That sucks :mad: . Hopefully Ducati or the dealer will take care of you (one of them certainly should).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah, my firends 996 was out of warranty but DNA (ducati north america) took care of him anyway.

It looked very similiar to your pictures of the tank.....

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have seen the tanks cave in on about 3 Ducatis in local shops in about that many years. A vent line is easily pinched by the adjacent parts or casting protrusions. A lot of technicians say that they would not warranty it because it is a case of the owner not knowing to look out for the pinch points. I really dont know the endings of the issues and I only hope that DNA and the dealer will do a warranty replacement.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

My girlfriends 06 M620's tank imploded with under a hundred miles on it. It was covered under warranty. Supposedly, there was a problem with the venting on the gas cap.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had the same problem after my 600m service, I suspect it was the "newbie" wrench who is actually very good but not versed in all the subtle nuances of all the models. Anyway my dealer, great guy, had the tank covered under warranty and I had a new one in a week.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Even if they fix it under warranty, sometimes you are still left unhappy. I know from experience that yellow bodyparts for the SS bikes come in a vast multitude of shades - from canary to nearly tangerine. Always the same yellow on a single bike, but order pre-painted OEM replacement parts and things can start to look pretty mosaic-like. It would suck to get a new tank and find it didn't match the bodywork, especially on a brand new bike.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
The_Missnary said:
This will sound ignorant, but what exactly is DNA? I don't think the bike is covered by any warranty, anymore. Here are pics...

There is the California emissions control warranty that will cover issues related to fuel delivery, leaks, etc. However, like any other warranty it expires with the combination of miles and/or years. I'm very sure the miles is 18K, but I'm not sure about the year. You might want to check with a couple Ducati dealerships and test their knowledge of the emissions warranties.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts