Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

For the life of me I can't find a second hand km/h injected Supersport speedo that's either in good condition or people don't want moonbeams for.

However, there seem to be lots of other km/h speedos floating around. (ST2, Monster, 916 etc) Does anyone know if these will fit without modification??

I'm using the later (SS ie) 5 spoke marchesini wheel in SS carby forks.

Thanks in advance.

Hame

·
Registered
905 Posts
Have you looked to see if there is a speedometer shop that could repair the one you have? Would probably be worth a look. If not in NZ I bet you could get it fixed in Oz.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Speedo

I have an extra one that came on my 2000 bimota db4. Same as the 2000 Ducati supersport. It is km/hr and I needed mph. Very
Low milage perfect shape.
Pm me if interested .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What front axle size are you running?

I'm doing a similar thing at the moment, I have a set of Marchesini's I'm fittting to a 93 900SS and I want to eventually take the bike back to Australa.

I've been looking for Speedos on ebay etc, I stupidly misses one NOS that went for 100 bucks on US ebay on 1 bid. Germany ebay has plenty of them, you have to search for tachometer, which is German for Speedometer, at least that's what Google translate says.

I've heard of doing the SBK front end swap and using the SBK drive, but swapping the gears in the drive to SS gears to use the original Speedo, so I guess the gearing in the SBK drive and Speedo are different to the SS as the diameter of the tire is the same.

I guess you put 20mm bearings in the wheels to replace the 25's that it would have originally had, did you machine your wheels for the wider 20mm bearings?

The SS drive won't fit without the machine work to the wheels from what I've read, unless it is possible to take 2mm of the speedo drive and the axle shoulder. I guess that might still leave the bearings too close to the axle seals. The drive ring needs to be the 20mm made to fit the Marchesini's

I'm about to have the machine work done so I was a curious how you approached this.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What front axle size are you running?

I'm doing a similar thing at the moment, I have a set of Marchesini's I'm fittting to a 93 900SS and I want to eventually take the bike back to Australa.

I've been looking for Speedos on ebay etc, I stupidly missed one NOS that went for 100 bucks on US ebay on 1 bid. Germany ebay has plenty of them, you have to search for tachometer, which is German for Speedometer, at least that's what Google translate says.

I've heard of doing the SBK front end swap and using the SBK drive, but swapping the gears in the drive to SS gears to use the original Speedo, so I guess the gearing in the SBK drive and Speedo are different to the SS as the diameter of the tire is the same.

I guess you put 20mm bearings in the wheels to replace the 25's that it would have originally had, did you machine your wheels for the wider 20mm bearings?

The SS drive won't fit without the machine work to the wheels from what I've read, unless it is possible to take 2mm of the speedo drive and the axle shoulder. I guess that might still leave the bearings too close to the axle seals. The drive ring needs to be the 20mm made to fit the Marchesini's

I'm about to have the machine work done so I was a curious how you approached this.
Hi Dave
I had my mechanic do it. I'm using 91-98 forks and the standard 17mm axle, (FYI my later wheels are SS, not Superbike; dont know exactly how they differ) and he machined up a spacer. (see pics) I know he also played around with the speedo drive, cos he said it took him about 3 hours to get it right. At the same time he put a Superbike front end in his SS, so there might have been some 'cross pollenation'.
Hope that's of some help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorted! =)

Thanks to polyesterpig, looks like I've found what I'm after and I'm all sorted. Thanks a heap :)
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts