Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about new shoes for my 996. I really like what I am reading and watching about the Diablo Supercorsa from Pirelli. Sounds like they heat up soon enough for the street and have at least some mileage longevity in them.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you drive at tracks? If you only do street driving, then best would be some sporttouring tyre, for example Pirelli Angel GT II.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use michelin power power 3 on my 996 good all round tire for street/track though made for street.

·
Registered
167 Posts
its all based on preference, but sounds like the Rosso Corsa II or even the Diablo Rosso 3 would work for you. I've run Rosso 3's on the track before and been fine, so for the street they'll perform.

·
Registered
Monster 1000 Comp 2003,748 R 2001,Yam R1 2002
4 Posts
Thinking about new shoes for my 996. I really like what I am reading and watching about the Diablo Supercorsa from Pirelli. Sounds like they heat up soon enough for the street and have at least some mileage longevity in them.

Thoughts???
Hey Dakota,
do yourself a favor and choose the really fantastic Pirelli DRC II. There is nothing out there on the roads, you can't do with these rubbers. Otherwise, the SC 's braught me & my 748R 1 step to hell last month. I just want to make a short test ride before
Track day. I' d used Tire warmers and the choosen Roads were my Home ground. I think it was a tiny wet stripe or something else, but it came without any warning. Just a million pound of Luck had saved the situation! It's like all Buddy's syay'd before: The SC :On the Track a Godess, on the Road a Bitch.
Greats Frank

·
Registered
4 Posts
SC’s are fantastic sports tires. If you are a sport rider i.e. you ride fast, lean a lot, apply a lot of brake and throttle all the time snd dont commute then there is probably no better tire for a Ducati. They cost a lot to run, expect them to be replacing rears anywhere from 2 to 4k max. If youre not then you are simply paying for too much tire that you dont need. They are poor in heavy rain (but acceptable), ok in the damp if up to temp, and unbelievable in the dry.
A better all round tire is the RCII

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Supercorsa SC is really a race or track day tire. I use them on my 853 but its a track only bike, fantastic tire. The Supercorsa SP is the road equivalent - apparently 98% as good as the SC on the track, don't need warmers which is why its a tire designed for the roads. If you going to fit Supercorsas and ride on the road mostly I'd fit the SP.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
its all based on preference, but sounds like the Rosso Corsa II or even the Diablo Rosso 3 would work for you. I've run Rosso 3's on the track before and been fine, so for the street they'll perform.
I agree. I have two track days and about 500 street miles on the Rosso III. I can’t speak enough about the tires. The track days were both in 100 degree heat. Although they’re not Supercorsas, they gave my Multi 1260 plenty of grip. And the street mileage over Supercorsas is a huge plus.

Reactions: Xyst

·
Registered
877 Posts
For the road you can run Diablo Rosso III with no issues, great tyres, I run that on the rear of my Diavel (the only other option is a Michelin) and a Diablo Rosso CORSA II on the front which is an excellent combination, especially if you like to feel the front and my Diavel has isolated bars so i love them!
The Supercorsa comes in a couple of variants, there's an SP which is the std tyre on my 1098R, not a bad tyre but for the road i prefer Rosso Corsas, the supercorsa profile is quite triangular, great for fast transition from upright to full lean but on the road the Rosso carcass is slightly rounder and just feels nicer.
Supercorsa also come in SC0, SC1, SC2 and SCX and these are road legal DOT approved race tyres, basically slick carcass and compound with tread grooves. Can you use them on the street? sure, but really, you're wasting your money, they offer far more grip than you're ever likely to need and they will wear stupid fast. Add to that they don't really like to be heat cycled and you would find their feel unpredictable and with the sharp triangular carcass and soft tread they will feel quirky pretty quickly, defeating the purpose of wanting to use them.....
I use the SC1 and SC2 on my track bike, love them on the track, and i use tyre warmers, not because i'm fast, i'm not, but because a session lasts about 20mins so to spend two laps warming tyres is a waste of track time and keeping warmers on them when i'm not riding also limits the tyre to one heat cycle per day, vastly increasing life.
They're a lot more pressure sensitive than a proper road tyre as well.
Look at the Pirelli website for choosing the SC and it's incredibly confusing, temps, wear, pressures, ability, bike etc all contribute to what you should choose and it's nearly as confusing as suspension set up.
In short, avoid SC, if you must use Supercorsas go for the SP but really, the ROSSO and ROSSO CORSA make a much nicer road tyre with all the grip you could want and they're good in the rain, last well, aren't pressure sensitive (still check any tyres before you ride or weekly) and will cost less to buy.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts

Thoughts???
I have a pair of these on my R... once warmed up they are incredible. On more than one occasion after a spirited ride when temps were in the high 80's/low 90's, a rub of the tire surface with my thumb produced a fair amount of rubber. I've put about 2000 miles on them since new and they are holding up very well.

The issue with them, at least for riders who live in areas like the northeast, or more specifically, those areas that have a proper Winter/Spring/Summer and Fall, is that when the temps are anywhere south of 60F they get up to proper temps painfully slowly, and are downright dangerous if your attention strays. I can recall several times last fall, exiting my driveway, when the back end cut loose and I very nearly low sided. Temps in the mid 50's and they just never feel comfortable.

I would imagine that these issues would not be a problem on a racetrack, when tire could quickly be brought up to optimal temps, but on the street, where this is not really possible when the weather is cold, they demand a LOT of attention.

·
comrade moderator
26,757 Posts
That video above was spot on the money.

I’ll bet 80% of the sportbikes crashed on the street are from guys running racy tires that are cold. Then they think their crash was because the tires weren’t sticky enough and buy racier rubber and crash again...all simply because of cold tires.
Good sport touring tires are way more capable than 99% of us and still work when cold.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
That video above was spot on the money.

I’ll bet 80% of the sportbikes crashed on the street are from guys running racy tires that are cold. Then they think their crash was because the tires weren’t sticky enough and buy racier rubber and crash again...all simply because of cold tires.
Good sport touring tires are way more capable than 99% of us and still work when cold.
In my defense, I typically do not ride in weather that is anything but ideal... and when the weather is warm, these things are incredible. I simply had no idea they would be so much more difficult to warm up in colder ambient temps than the Diablo Corse III's that I ran previously.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In addition to my previous comment, I actually high sided on the road coming out of my neighborhood (At like 7mph) on Supercorsas because it was early in the morning and dewey outside. In my defense I really really dont remember even giving it enough juice to highside, but whatever. It happened.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
It doesn't matter. Put whatever tires you want on your bike. I know what I prefer and do not prefer based on experience, and my tire preferences are not the same as others.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts