Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
i'm having troubles with my Streetfighter 1098.

The engine is only running on the horizontal cylinder.
With changing the spark plugs i saw that the other cylinder was running. So i thought that the spark plug died..

Now i have put in a new spark plug to get rid off the bad one, but after a few km's the vertical cylinder fell away again.
The weird thing is that when i'm in a certain range of rpm's the vertical cylinder kick's in again but at low rpm it won't fire..

When starting the engine again after it cools down it is running again on both cylinders but when it's running for a while again the vertical cylinder is falling away..

I saw in the shopmanual that i can check if the ignition coils are still ok, but i don't know between which points i have to measure, and it should be arond 650Mohm. Can someone tell me?

also somebody told me that this could be a problem caused by the throttle position sensor, but i don't get a fault code for this so i don't know if this might be the problem..

Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Dieter

·
Registered
337 Posts
You’re on the right track with the resistance testing. Usually if I have an issue with one cylinder, I swapping parts from one cyl to the other to be sure.

Swap the coils from V to H and see if the H cylinder starts to misbehave and the V clears up. If it does, you’ve found your issue. If it doesn’t, you can be sure it’s something either feeding power/signal to the coils or something grounding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Could be a riding valve, when did you last have clearances done?
The other possibility is a coil is failing, they often drop out after awhile, usually between 5 to 20 min.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be a riding valve, when did you last have clearances done?
The other possibility is a coil is failing, they often drop out after awhile, usually between 5 to 20 min.
What do you mean with a riding valve? The valve clearances have been done 200-250km ago..

yesterday i plugged out the cable of the stepper motor sensor and then it was running well for a moment (with a warning light that this sensor was not ok, the engine running well could offcourse also be coincidence..)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’re on the right track with the resistance testing. Usually if I have an issue with one cylinder, I swapping parts from one cyl to the other to be sure.

Swap the coils from V to H and see if the H cylinder starts to misbehave and the V clears up. If it does, you’ve found your issue. If it doesn’t, you can be sure it’s something either feeding power/signal to the coils or something grounding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem with swapping the coils from the one cylinder to the other is that the engine runs in the beginning now, so both cylinder will be on temperature.. so not so easy to check then..

but i will try this also this afternoon, thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yesterday i checked the valves, they were as it should be..

swapped the ignition coils from place but am not able to start it up again, as the orings of the fuel line are damaged again...

Somebody who knows which orings these are? in the part manual you have to buy the complete connector (which is pretty expensive if you only need the orings of it)

for the rest i'm not seeing anything wrong on it..

if i check the tps sensor with guzzidiag/ducatidiag/jpdiag it's not having any faulth and is responsing as it should..

somebody more ideas?

thanks
Dieter

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ca Cycleworks Fuel Quick Disconnect Viton O-Ring | ca-cycleworks.com for the o-rings unless you're looking for packs of 25 or something.

Don't change anything else TPS related or otherwise until you get the bike running again with the coils swapped. Only change one variable at a time so you're not chasing your tail. With the bike running, see how long it runs before 1 cylinder drops out. If same coil drops out, then you've probably got the problem pinpointed. If the same cylinder keeps dropping even after swapping coils, check relays/wiring/ecu.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts