Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 399 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
12,615 Posts
Can someone tell me why the 1098 motor is better than the new 1198 motor? The 1198 motor is going to have more hp/torque and 15,000 mile valve maintenance and also heard "wet clutch" (not 100% sure on the info). Why should I be persuaded to get a 2011 sf vs. a 2012 sf? Info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Did you read this thread? There's a pretty good explanation of the differences in the SBK motor and the 11 degree motor. (We are not talking about 1098 vs 1198)

basically the choice is the de-tuned and more practical 11 degree 1198 motor or the full superbike 1098 engine with a traditional race issue dry clutch and radical cam profile.

Both are great motors and both have a lot of power but personally, the bike is meant to be a full-on superbike in street clothes.
You go putting a de-tuned motor and a quiet clutch in there and what have you got? An E6RN, a Honda Hornet... No thanks.

Now if they were to put the 1198 SBK engine in the SF that would be a different story - I might be tempted... but that's not what's happening.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I agree with flynbulldog on this. I'm not saying the new motor is going to be bad. Sometimes over polishing and refining often takes away certain character traits that make a motor desirable. Sometimes leaving the raw traits in is better than trying to make a motor perfect or better. You just need to figure out which engine has what you want. I prefer the original engine for certain reasons.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS | 2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2,781 Posts
Can someone tell me why the 1098 motor is better than the new 1198 motor? The 1198 motor is going to have more hp/torque and 15,000 mile valve maintenance and also heard "wet clutch" (not 100% sure on the info). Why should I be persuaded to get a 2011 sf vs. a 2012 sf? Info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
It isn't. Notice that those who argue it is have the 1098 engine. Even if the 1198 only matches the MTS12 for output then it will be 5 bhp down on the 1098 engine with a shed load more grunt where it matters most. This will make it even more of a whirlwind to ride.

·
Temporary greeter
23,095 Posts
It isn't. Notice that those who argue it is have the 1098 engine. Even if the 1198 only matches the MTS12 for output then it will be 5 bhp down on the 1098 engine with a shed load more grunt where it matters most. This will make it even more of a whirlwind to ride.
You haven't spent much time on a Streetfighter have you?

·
Bon Vivant
12,615 Posts
I have both the mts with the 11 degree motor and the SF. The SF matches the 11d every bit down low (in fact my SF has much better grunt down low because of the gearing)

My SF will run circles around my multi :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the 11d is a bad motor - to me it's just not right for the SF.

If I were to buy a sport classic it would be an 06 or nothing, now with the SF it's a 10/11 or nothing.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I own a 2011 SF S with the 1098 engine. I wish that when people compare two different things they would never use the word better when comparing them. It just leads to conflict. Neither engine is better then the other. As I said before they are just going to have some differences. Some differences in power delivery, valve angle in the heads, fuel milage, maintenance schedule, and the difference in the clutch. A grown man can make up his own mind and spend his hard earned money on what he prefers when comparing those particular differences in the two engines. I prefer the 1098 engine because it's a super bike motor with the dry clutch. I don't need to ride an 1198 to make that decision. That doesn't mean that the 1098 motor should be everyone's preference because it's my preference. I happen to like the dry clutch and I'm glad I bought the last year of SF to have it.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
I have both the mts with the 11 degree motor and the SF. The SF matches the 11d every bit down low (in fact my SF has much better grunt down low because of the gearing)

My SF will run circles around my multi :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the 11d is a bad motor - to me it's just not right for the SF.

If I were to buy a sport classic it would be an 06 or nothing, now with the SF it's a 10/11 or nothing.
The 1198 motor has more torque than your SF engine, it only doesn't feel that way since the MTS is heavier and has taller gearing. Surely you realize this and are just being argumentative for the sake of it. The only valid comparison will be the 11 degree 1198 engine in the SF which we will have very soon. Then it will have superior performance to the current SF at least in the majority of the power range if not in all areas (we don't know the final spec, the Diavel has 162bhp from this powerplant due to better breathing). If you want to argue that greater performance somehow won't suit the SF then go for it, but you'll be on in the distinct minority.

If you want to simply state you prefer a dry clutch then fine, that is a totally subjective assessment but performance is not.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
The dry clutch has been performing fine for the last 20 years. Those of us that do like the dry clutch never said it was better then the wet clutch. You made the better performance comparison between the two.

It seems that many people make decisions strictly on torque graphs and peak horsepower numbers. This seems like a sheltered and limiting way of making decisions. Then they claim a product is better then another one just because it has higher numbers. Making decisions that way is also subjective. More isn't always better. At least to me it isn't. Make your own choices however you wish.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
The dry clutch has been performing fine for the last 20 years. Those of us that do like the dry clutch never said it was better then the wet clutch. You made the better performance comparison between the two.

It seems that many people make decisions strictly on torque graphs and peak horsepower numbers. This seems like a sheltered and limiting way of making decisions. Then they claim a product is better then another one just because it has higher numbers. Making decisions that way is also subjective. More isn't always better. At least to me it isn't. Make your own choices however you wish.

I'm with you on your dry clutch deal. The other guy is trying to say the testa 11 is going to make the SF into a Honda Hornet when in reality it is going to improve in all objective ways. I do subjectivity, I prefer my modded S4RS to any SF even though the SF is objectively superior

·
Temporary greeter
23,095 Posts
+1

I don't know if I could say all or nothing, but it would be a really tough decision for me and I would probably be looking much closer at other brands.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would not be surprised if:

1) The 11deg 1198 motor comes out tuned a bit more aggressive in the SF, with characteristics that the typical SF customer (including most of us) would want. They will have the SF848 for those looking for a bit less.

2) The single version SF1198 model takes a cue from the Monster 1100evo, and ends up being a blend of the Base and S (with traction control/abs, but without Ohlins or forged wheels).

... reserving final judgement until i ride one! :yeah:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn't realize I opened such a big can of worms with my question. Still kind of sounds like the new 1198 sf will be as much of a blast as the 1098 sf, but more civilized (I guess that's the word I can use to describe it). Meaning better fuel consumption and longer valve maintenance.

·
Bon Vivant
12,615 Posts

1) The 11deg 1198 motor comes out tuned a bit more aggressive in the SF, with characteristics that the typical SF customer (including most of us) would want. They will have the SF848 for those looking for a bit less.

2) The single version SF1198 model takes a cue from the Monster 1100evo, and ends up being a blend of the Base and S (with traction control/abs, but without Ohlins or forged wheels).

I think you may be dead on target...

Do I think it will be a bad bike? No - of course not, but it will be homogenized, generic milktoast loosing some of the
character, flair, and raw sophistication of the original - just like the monster and hyper have done.

Another watered down bike to better fit the masses

Whippersnapper, I understand your love for the S4RS - it's a wonderful bike and for some people it is a better match than the SF.

But for me the SF just fits and works better - it's like... the real Monster Evo!

·
Registered
77 Posts
+1

I don't know if I could say all or nothing, but it would be a really tough decision for me and I would probably be looking much closer at other brands.
+1

I actually already started looking at other brands... since my bike got totalled i decided to take a peak at teh naked scene (gigitty),,,

The Local Aprilia Dealer is going to Bring in a Tuono V4 APRC so i can "feel it, ride it, touch it, lick it" in the sales mans words...

The Local Honda Powersports dealer has a CB1000R in stock, nice looking bike, fits me well, but a little lethargic at 130HP and 78 LbFT vs the SFS..and i couldnt test ride it...seriously? why would i buy a motorcycle blindly liek that Guess ducati made me a snob :p

Going to take another gander at the KTM SuperDuke... but i think its still too tall for me.

Kawasaki has a Z1000 i would like to see too..

but i think my heart still crise out for F1098S... went to a dealer in GaithersBurg MD this weekend, and they had a red one... makes my heart sad

·
Registered
77 Posts
oo also, i dont know if it matters or not....

but my dealer told me that his Ducati Field Rep, said there WILL NOT be a 1198 Streetfighter.. jsut an updated 1098... but my dealer doesnt seem to believe him... :abduct:

·
Bon Vivant
12,615 Posts

And they will probably call this new amalgam the STREETFIGHTER Evo, and offer one with flat black primer - and all the "me-too" hordes will think its the new hot set-up. :sleep:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i think that, for the most part, the new one will be what most like about the current ride... but without some of the headaches... watered down?... not sure about that..
to me, i out-ride most "Fighter" pilots on my old "SS"... most i see that ride "Fighters" don't ride them like a superbike... more like a monster.... but then they spend all day talking about the power... the motor.. to which they never really tap into... not at all. But they seem to really like the idea that it's there...

I've ridden my friends Streetfighter s.... and i realized while we were riding that he doesn't REALLY use that motor... he just likes that it's there... i disappeared from him, and later he said he didn't realize how fast his bike was... i told him that was only about 70 percent.... it's a superbike motor?... take it to the track for f"k sake... that's what i'd do... ring that puppy out...

the current Streetfighter....
total shit with the fuel delivery.... fixed on the new one...
high maintenance costs.... a lot better with less intervals on the new one...

the two major points of sale .. or non-sale... for Ducati's..
fuel maps to get the bikes into the states...
and expensive tune-ups..... both have been addressed..
Sounds like Ducati's going in the right direction... For the masses?
Hell... Most of the "Ducati" masses ride bikes like the "1098" or the "Fighter"... and never come close to using half of what the bike was made to do... i think the masses spend $20,000 on a bike.... and for the most part... a ninja 250 with a pilot that knows there stuff.. will ride around the outside of them all day long...

So, by my viewing... people buy Ducati's mostly for the look... the sound... and prestige.... and don't bother with really using the bike to it's performance potential....

I don't like the "WET" clutch... but the rest of the bike seems like it would fit most people and their budgets better.. though they may not want to admit it...

·
Bon Vivant
12,615 Posts
freighttrain I think your right but you describe the average Ducati owner and then question if the bike is evolving to better suit them (the masses).

Your whole post is about the masses, and yes its a watered down version to better suit the average guy, not so much the traditional Ducati enthusiast.

I do think you underestimate many of the enthusiasts that own Ducatis. You know that Japanese sportbikes outnumber Ducatis about 100 to 1. But when I go to the track about 30% are Ducatis, that means that 3 or 4 times the amount of Ducati owners hit the track than all the Japanese sportbike owners combined. ( on a percentage basis)

(I didn't do the math I'm just making an observation)

Your post does come across kind-of arrogant... Your not the only guy on this board or in the SF section who rides at the track.
I'd even bet that a few of them could ride around the outside of you... :think:

81 - 100 of 399 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.