Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me with this issue. I have a 2001 ST4. It was stored in a heated garage last winter, I connected a batter tender to it this summer and it started perfectly, rode it only two times in July and then was parked for 2 months (this past Thursday). When I went to ride it, the battery was quite weak and didn't turn over very quickly. I connected jumper cables to a car, started the car and tried to start the Duc. It turned over fine but would backfire and emit a "pop" underneath the gas tank. I would wait a few minutes between tries and then fire it up again, only to have it turn over, back fire and pop on occasion. This went on for a period of time, perhaps 15 tries or so. I tried putting fuel injection cleaner in the tank, swished it around, tried a few more times and got nothing. So I went home.

The next morning, I put the key in and it started right away... Apparently the battery got enough of a charge from all the boosts that it maintained a charge the next morning. I rode it for a minute, shut it down and it started immediately. Then rode it for 5 hours, it ran and started beautifully, no issues.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be? Would really like to avoid the frustration of having that happen again.

Open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Did you smell gas at all? Sounds to me that you flooded it pretty good and that was the reason for the backfire. Once running, it clean the plugs and should be fine. One point you need to know is......never jump it off a car......to many volts and you could possibly burn out the silinoid and or the starter...not recommended!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Battery is toast, start there. Bad idea to use a car to jump start a m/c..

Hoping someone can help me with this issue. I have a 2001 ST4. It was stored in a heated garage last winter, I connected a batter tender to it this summer and it started perfectly, rode it only two times in July and then was parked for 2 months (this past Thursday). When I went to ride it, the battery was quite weak and didn't turn over very quickly. I connected jumper cables to a car, started the car and tried to start the Duc. It turned over fine but would backfire and emit a "pop" underneath the gas tank. I would wait a few minutes between tries and then fire it up again, only to have it turn over, back fire and pop on occasion. This went on for a period of time, perhaps 15 tries or so. I tried putting fuel injection cleaner in the tank, swished it around, tried a few more times and got nothing. So I went home.

The next morning, I put the key in and it started right away... Apparently the battery got enough of a charge from all the boosts that it maintained a charge the next morning. I rode it for a minute, shut it down and it started immediately. Then rode it for 5 hours, it ran and started beautifully, no issues.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be? Would really like to avoid the frustration of having that happen again.

Open to any suggestions.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Nothing screws up a car or bike more than letting it sit for a long period of time. Gas gets old. Condensation in tank. Batteries get week.

For right now, just go take the bike for a long ride. When you put it up for winter storage, remove the battery altogether from the bike (or disconnect cables), and put some Seafoam in the tank.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would say the fuel injection cleaner had a chance to clean the clogged injectors from sitting (sounds like a lean backfire). Battery was low due to sitting. If you ride it more often you probably won’t have to be worried about it. IMO, If it continues to sit, you’ll probably run into the problem again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies

Thanks for the quick replies. I did not smell gas, but perhaps it was flooded. I had wondered that but didn't know you could flood a bike with EFI, don't know anything about EFI. Am sure the battery was low from lack of use, will try to avoid that again. Could also be that the cleaner had time to work. Wasn't aware I shouldn't boost from a car, what is the issue? Too many amps?

Thanks again

·
Registered
970 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I had a similar problem after mine sat for 2 or 3 months. I found the front spark plug lead had corrosion although it was new last summer. Some moisture got in there somehow, maybe washing? After cleaning it up and using dielectric on the connection and rubber to seal it I spent time to adjust the Throttle Position Sensor precisely.

I had done it before but it moved a hair and that will throw it out of whack. One bolt broke off without much tension, they are quite small and a typical Ducati lightweight metal. I bought some real ones and snugged them up. Problem solved.

I keep it on a Battery Tender too.

·
Registered
970 Posts
+1 ! check the basics, good suggestions made here..

I had a similar problem after mine sat for 2 or 3 months. I found the front spark plug lead had corrosion although it was new last summer. Some moisture got in there somehow, maybe washing? After cleaning it up and using dielectric on the connection and rubber to seal it I spent time to adjust the Throttle Position Sensor precisely.

I had done it before but it moved a hair and that will throw it out of whack. One bolt broke off without much tension, they are quite small and a typical Ducati lightweight metal. I bought some real ones and snugged them up. Problem solved.

I keep it on a Battery Tender too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A good explanation on batteries.. the Yuasa site has tons of good info

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/motor_battery.php

If the car is not running it may be semi safe but if it is running the car battery is putting out more than 12V and maybe be hard on the bikes charging system especially if there is another issue already.
Decent article. It didn't cover jump starting from a car though. The operating voltages of a car are no higher than the operating voltages of a motorcycle. How could it be hard on a charging system?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
If the car is not running it may be semi safe but if it is running the car battery is putting out more than 12V and maybe be hard on the bikes charging system especially if there is another issue already.
This is a myth.

Yes, it will put out the 14.2V that your bike would be putting out if it were running (correctly), no, it can not hurt it.

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts