Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,572 Posts
The sprocket combo was 15/42 on my two ST4s bikes, which worked well for me. I put a lot of miles on them, many of which included my son riding pillion. I know some who have 15/43 combos, but I preferred a bit higher gearing and read that sprockets and chains wear less with an odd/even sprocket combination.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I need to move along with curing my start sequence. Even though it is the 03 model where I had the luxury of starting on the side stand and starting with the clutch disengaged in gear, once i changed the ECU after a failure, I now have to start on center stand and disengage the clutch even in Neutral!! Once started I can engage the clutch....

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’ve scanned the replies and one item that may not have been mentioned is the front sprocket retaining plate, part number 82610111A. These were used into the early 2000s and are a neat design that allows easier owner servicing, but it wears over time and needs occasional inexpensive replacement. I check these every 6,000 miles on my bikes because the consequences of failure are severe. Not sure if early ST4Ss had them or if by that time Ducati has transitioned to the Japanese-style big hex-head fastener sprocket retention. My ‘99 ST4 has the original design.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I’ve scanned the replies and one item that may not have been mentioned is the front sprocket retaining plate, part number 82610111A. /----------------/ Not sure if early ST4Ss had them or if by that time Ducati has transitioned to the Japanese-style big hex-head fastener sprocket retention. My ‘99 ST4 has the original design.
Yep, 2002 ST4s has it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep, 2002 ST4s has it.
And it is a piece of junk! Why has nobody mentioned this before... OK when new but as the gearbox spline wears even a new sprocket won't stop these things cacking out in a few thousand miles. My solution is to bolt an end plate on and use washers that won't damage case seal and hold the sprocket to about a 5mm 'rattle zone' which works so well I've forgotten exactly how I did this! I use a Pro-oiler and Chain Gang super hard sprockets so chain life is around 50,000 miles, bliss for a tourer, and I really only change chains because I feel like it more than need to. CG product was so successful they folded once everyone had decent sprockets on!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Oh yes the sprocket retainer plate. Used on my 03 as well. I replaced mine at 27000kms and will do so again at around 50000km. Did not have a great deal of wear though. Maybe I am just lucky. Check it every time I clean the gunk out from behind the sprocket cover.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts