Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
She lives !!

Dealer found loom was bad and in particular the 6/7 or so earth leads that go into the single crimp at the earth point.
Johnny could you give us an exact location of said crimp joint, I'd like to have a look at mine.

Ride On (when you get your clutch fixed)
Dave

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Yes Dave, It is the master earth ring crimp. It is around 10 mm in the barrel that takes the wires and has around 7/8 wires going into it from all over the loom. A right F up if you ask me and one of the many weak points of the wiring. Some of the switch back splicing and joints in the loom have to be seen to believed

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks Johnny, I had a look at mine while I was in the neighborhood. It looked OK but I put a drop of solder on it anyway.

Ride On
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what the issue was johnny.

My st4s is still playing silly buggers after mostly running fine last year. Had it laid up over winter. Got her out and tried to start, no joy! Plugged in laptop and she fired up and all was well. Left it a day and tried again, didn't start! Will have a look at the main earth point. I'm sure i know which bit you mean. I was starting to consider a new ECU but seeing as the old bugger starts with the laptop connected the ECU must be ok. Might have a quick scan on eBay for a loom too!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Yep weather looks good. other issues to address;

Bike runs lumpy on low tank - removed key cover and cleaned cap - yet to test

needs new clutch (basket 42K old) and Battery again!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I just thought I would post to resolve this. I gave the bike to the dealer whom pugged in their diagnostic tool. The loom started to smoke. They replaced the loom with a EBAY job and all is well now for a good year or so. My error was that I did not check all lines correctly with an Ohm meter, its a two man job really

·
Administrator
12,030 Posts
Appreciate that you did follow up (even if a little tardy), so many people never do despite all the help members offer.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts