Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
the weather has been crap for a few days, so some garage time :D made some ends for the swinging arm as I didn't like the originals and they were marked... also made some new stainless bolts. may wheel it out the garage tomorrow

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Got the bike out today into the daylight for the first time in months... Have to say my Iphone takes great pictures! Next job is to start the wiring... its a job I actually love doing, making a loom from scratch. here is my collection of wire from meany years! there is some new stuff in there as well that I got from some newish cars in the vehicle dismantlers last year. Its just too expensive to buy all the colours you need new, its a great source of wire!

·
Administrator
12,301 Posts
Next project... buff all the wiring :D

Reactions: SwiftFF5

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wiring loom looks much the same except it's cut up into small lengths to make it easier to eat.

Nice work so far. Where did you join the lower rear frame tubes to the stock cut down tubes? I did one side right in the middle of the cross tube and the other I did just below that joint.

What tank and seat are you planning on using? That combo is the hardest to get right.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
if you have a look at some of the previous pictures you can see where I have welded the pipes...

I am useing a 999 tank that will be heavily modified... as for the seat, I have made on from scratch. I played around for hours with different designs, and it may not be to everyone's taste... But I build bikes for me I guess, and I like it! be a while before I can post any pictures...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I agree with this, Buzzer, show us the Jewlery box too!:D I'm sure you can sneak something Ducati related into it:LOL:

Well here you go... Its finished! It started life as a writing box, my wife saw it when we were helping clear a friends mothers house, and it was going to be thrown out as it was badly damaged... But my wife liked the box so we took it... been in the loft for a couple of years, I saw it a few months ago, around the time she mentioned she would like a jewellery box... I hope she likes it! The way its been flocked makes it look and feel nice inside, and I am pleased the way the wood has come up with a few coats of 2K lacquer

·
Registered
370 Posts
Beautiful piece of work , your Wife will be very pleased ! ,John Lennon would have been very impressed as well .... good on you !

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cool!!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hah! Thanks for posting, although not a motorcycle, its still interesting to see before and after.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I have been pondering how to switch the radiator fan on and off as I am no longer running with an ECU... I popped around to my mate yesterday and he suggested using one of these units which is adjustable for temperature. he uses them on factory machinery. I have put the thermocouple in the original sensor (snug fit, but used some heat sink Grease used on computer CPU's) and some Araldite to hold it in place. Its 12V, you can adjust the temperature and it has a 20 amp relay on the board which is more than enough for the fan... tested it today in some boiling water and it works well! The unit is very cheap at around £5!

Also made a good start on the wiring.. I know a lot of people struggle with this but I find it easy, enjoyable and quite therapeutic! Sad I know! I start by making a drawing of each circuit on a page, and wire that circuit on the bike. As I go along I write the wire colours on the diagram for future reference. Use pipe cleaners to hold the wire bundles together till all the circuits are in place. then run them through sheathing , and then crimp/solder the ends on!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
The wiring is coming on well, just a couple of minor circuits to do. I like this fuse box. one lead in, and all the fuses come off that, and it has a single earth point as well. All the ends are crimped and soldered… and covered with the glue lined heat shrink. When its finally done I can tidy it up and tape the joints with self amalgamating tape. As I had changed the location of the coils I needed custom leads, cheap and easy job. That crimp tool has not seen much use since the 70’s though, when it was used all the time! I had better get some resistor plugs as there is not much in the leads!

Also finished the throttle cable. I wanted to make the bracket slightly adjustable, so I made the mounting eccentric. couldn’t be bothered to change the chuck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Not much progress of late... I came down with the flu, and its knocked me sideways... getting there now though.... here is a 15 second clip of the throttle linkage

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
spent a couple of yours in the garage today... still getting over the flu, so I have not been in there long... but long enough to get it started! It actually fired up almost straight away, which I was pleased about. at first I didn't have a spark though.... Seems the kill switch now works backwards. it will be a good anti theft! here its is running for just a few seconds, as there is no water in it yet...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
spent a couple of yours in the garage today... still getting over the flu, so I have not been in there long... but long enough to get it started! It actually fired up almost straight away, which I was pleased about. at first I didn't have a spark though.... Seems the kill switch now works backwards. it will be a good anti theft! here its is running for just a few seconds, as there is no water in it yet...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ha! a backwards kill-switch. I like it! She sounds mean!

61 - 80 of 119 Posts