Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a new build thread on my ST4s custom now the Multistrada build is finished.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/716907-multistrada-special-build-thread.html

So here it is as it arrived. It’s a running bike with 22k on the clock. it’s not as tidy as it looks in the pictures, the paintwork in particular lets it down. It’s a runner, but it had some electrical issues, which were easy to trace, the loom was a mess!

progress on this build will be a little slow as we have summer soon, and a few extended holidays so garage time will be limited. I will be doing some jobs though!

I have now stripped off all the parts that I definitely know I won’t use, and these are being sold to fund some of the build. First little job has been to machine the top yoke and rough some clamps out so I can fit conventional handlebars, to make it easier for me to move it around, and so I can sell the originals.

I am not sure yet on the style this will end up, but it needs to be reasonably easy to ride, no clip ons! I am also going to make a tank in alloy this time, and work is already underway designing and making an English wheel which I am quite excited about.

I took the Multi out yesterday for its first short ride and was REALLY pleased with the way it run on the new ignition and carbs... and that got me thinking... I don't think anyone has done a 996 engine on carbs...(most will say why the hell would you!!) I like the idea! So I have sourced a pair of nice flat slide 48 mm carburettors! Watch this space!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Will she be able to wear the panniers, when needed?

·
Administrator
11,885 Posts
Also watching...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have decided to give the keihin 48mm CV flatslides a go... these are off a Honda VTR, and apparently they are some of the biggest carbs fitted to a bike... unless you know different of course! they have come up really well...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a little bit of progress, I have made the first manifold out of plate and tube, its came out quite well... I have managed to mount the carb at the same angle it was on the Honda VFR it came off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have mounted to other carb, it sits high so I had to cut a panel in the tank to clear it. I may end up making a tank for this build, but for now I will use the original to get it all running

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Late August and the weather is terrible… so I have made a start… for a few weeks before we go on holiday anyway no going back now as I have had the angle grinder out on the rear of the frame. I really don't want to use the ST4 tank though so I have managed to find a badly dented Ducati alternative in a breakers, which seems to fit after a bit of under tank surgery!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to try to make a tank, but I really like the 996 one i have picked up cheap...* but its taking quite a bit of work to modify to fit over the carbs.* I have had to cut the bottom out and fabricate a new base.* some of the welding is done, and I thought it best to dye pen the joints as its easier to correct leak on the outside of a joint, rather than inside when its all welded up... good job i did as there were two leaks.* Dye penetration works amazingly well as you can see.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's some serious fab skills Buzz. Looking forward to the final result.

Scott L.
Thanks Scott!

Finished the fabrication on the bottom of the tank, all pressure tested and no leaks!* I have had problems finding a fuel tap big enough...* most are 8 mm but the Honda carbs require 10mm pipe, they were a thirsty beast!* found one in the end...* but I wont be running a reserve.* Also made a couple of short bellmouths to fit under the pod filters.* they were made out of tube, and spun in the lathe to bell the ends out.* to do this you need to soften the alloy first by annealing it.* I have struggled with this in the past as you need to get the temperature right, but if you go too far, it suddenly melts into s a blob!* the answer is simple, a trick picked up from a mate...* scribble on the alloy with a sharpie pen...* *heat until the pen marks disappear, and stop heating! then let it cool. it works a treat!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sometimes you make stuff but are not sure… this is an example. I wanted the front of the bike to be clean looking… so I made this speedometer using a cheap GPS module that will come on automatically when the ignition is on. the holes are for some warning LED’s… not sure if I will use it yet. I am aware that technically its no legal to have a GPS speedo… but…!! Whats peoples opinions on the look?

Also been practising my alloy welding with my new TIG welder to make a battery box for under the tank.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The exhausts are now fabricated, as is the seat, but I may shorten that a bit.. and I am undecided on the moto GP or the mega style of silencer, I guess I have plenty of time to decide.

The seat was made out of insulation foam, and cut and sanded to shape, which is VERY easy to do. its then covered with a few layers of glass mat and resin. I also had the headlight brackets water jet cut, they came out really well!

No updates for a while as we are off on holiday for a few weeks!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I used one of these before ... it could easily be cut a bit shorter and reweld the bottom back on if needed.

LINK = https://www.amazon.com/Meziere-WR100U-Polished-Coolant-Recovery/dp/B003NDK7YK

They come in several anodized colors, or just plain semi-polished aluminum (which is what I used). Excellent design and build quality. Stainless steel internal siphon tube as well.

Through-hole mounts with about 1/4" standoff on the back side of the tank. O-ring sealed machined aluminum cap.

:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 60 Posts