Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’ve recently retired and was planning to ride my Ducati ST4S along the coast of Portugal. After changing all the fuels I took ‘Hawk’ :) out for a ride and after an hour I pushed him hard. The following morning, he would turn but not start.

• The battery is fine
  • Changed spark plugs

Then I noticed the spark under the fuel tank was not sparking.

Followed the wire from the stator to the regulator, and notice one of the connections was burnt.

Removed the burnt connector and linked the wires directly. The bike continues to turn without starting and spark plug doesn't fire.

Tested the three wires from the stator in the various combinations and all read .3 omhs. The ground test was fine.

Tested the coils and both read 6 omhs.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
that connector melts, it's not uncommon. do a full check on the charging system as a precaution.

if it's not firing and everything else is ok, it might be the ecu. the 59m had a habit of dropping the spark on one cylinder, although from memory it was typically the horizontal that went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi, 234ValveDucati and belter,

Thank-you for your advice and sorry for the delay in getting back.

I tested the diodes of the regulator and they appear fine, but you maybe right 234ValveDucati.

To the best of my armature abilities, belter, the charging system appears to be functioning.

Returning to the beginning, a new battery has been ordered along with new sparks.....

I can locate the ground wire behind the rear brake fluid reservoir, where are the other ground (earth) wires on the ST4S?

Regards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will also be connecting the stator and regulator directly... Will try to restart Hawk once the new battery and sparks arrive.
(the three wires from the regulator have not yet been crimped, plan to install a shirk hose to protect the connection)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.