Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been ages since I've posted... I've finally dug the old st4s out the back of the shed! Been doing some upgrades. Gone for the DD headlight kit, 999 4 pad calipers and ABM handle bar kit. I've bought some st3 master cylinders but I want to change the clutch side seals, but mainly the rugger boot for the push rod off the lever.

My question is, does brembo do a kit? Or does anyone have a part number for a kit?

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
I'd be interested in that info too. I haven't been able to find a seal kit for the masters that are on the ST3.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm starting to lean towards the Brembo PS12 110436292 kit? The number on the master is 4F28+ 12. I think the 12 is the bore diameter?

·
Mr Leakered
8,813 Posts
I am sorry, but I don't recall if the small pivot ST masters are rebuildable. Maybe take some pics and check in with Steve at bevelheaven.com?

I know the large pivots were easily rebuildable. I replaced them with 996 masters though. Quite nice.

One thing. Even though DOT 5.1 is compatible, I found that it shrinks the seals a bit and will weep. Stick with a good DOT 4. If you are running DOT 5.1 now, my swap and see?

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sorry, but I don't recall if the small pivot ST masters are rebuildable. Maybe take some pics and check in with Steve at bevelheaven.com?

I know the large pivots were easily rebuildable. I replaced them with 996 masters though. Quite nice.

One thing. Even though DOT 5.1 is compatible, I found that it shrinks the seals a bit and will weep. Stick with a good DOT 4. If you are running DOT 5.1 now, my swap and see?

Have a good one.
Well I've managed to strip the master cylinder. The part number on the piston is 10.4623.14. It's 11.9mm diameter and 36.7mm long. Think I might of found a kit, but it won't be the full kit, but all I need really is the piston, seals and boot.

·
Mr Leakered
8,813 Posts
Nice. If you got it apart, it should be rebuildable. For the 996 masters, it looks like they are hard potted.

It was said in the past that KTM sells a lot of master and caliper rebuild kits that other OEMs won't. Maybe see if you can find a cross reference there? I found this Brembo catalog ages ago. It might help you?

Have a good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMG_20200618_122630.jpg
IMG_20200618_120923.jpg
IMG_20200618_120539.jpg

So anyway, I've found a kit which is the closest I can get. The boot is useless as it's to small to fit in the piston bore.

Reactions: tonered

·
Mr Leakered
8,813 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Interesting to see this thread after today. I went for a ride on the ST3 firstly to discover that I had to go directly to fill up with fuel. It's been awhile since I took her out for a thrash. But the clutch felt funny, almost not there and by the time I got to the servo it wouldn't release to get into neutral. Then I found the fluid was very low in the clutch master cylinder.
It's been awhile since I played with the hydraulics and after I took the cap off and filled the chamber I was expecting it to be good. Wrong! 10k's later there was brake fluid dripping on my paintwork. The horror! I headed back home as I had nothing to wipe it , and I confess I was fairly quick about it. After a cleanup and a look under the cap I realized I had stupidly poured fluid in on top of the rubber insert, so I had both overfilled and underfilled in one moronic swoop.
OK it's done right now , working well, but I still don't understand why I lost fluid in the first place.
My only ideas are either it was from leaving the bike on the sidestand for too long, [causing a slight leak at the cap] albeit with a piece of wood under the stand to keep the bike as vertical as possible, because I don't like the stress on my back when I hoik it onto the centre stand, or maybe the slave is leaking down inside where I can't see it, which is probably more likely. I should probably pull the clutch and see if there's anything migrating out to the plates which would be a pain in the bum. Is that a scenario or would fluid just drop out from below the slave?
I'm guessing I need to find the problem before it gets worse and leaves me stranded. Hopefully I'll get a ride in tomorrow anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts