Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

It's official, the 900ssie forks are horrible.

Does anyone know if I can use my OEM fork uppers with 749/999 internals and lower? A guy in one of the SS-facebook groups said it will drop right in.

(sorry: not my pictures, unknown owner).
1) pic, regular 749 forks
2) SS (monster?) with 848 lowers and internals?
3) SS with 996 lowers and internals?
last picture, 999 internals on it's way into SS forks.

Is there anything I have to worry about? I can get my hands on cheap 749 or 999 forks, and I would love to just put them on to my SSie (no speedo drive to worry about)

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice idea, I´ve not tried that particular solution.
Without thinking too much about it I´d say it is possible but there are a few things to check:

Overall length: I don´t know the exact dimensions, but you need the extended total length of cartridge / cartridge rod assy to match with that of the SSie fork. If it is too short, you will loose fork length, if it´s too long you might bottom the cartridge when the fork compresses fully. I think, it´s late night here .... but anyway, the component lengths has to match.

Lower fork leg / fork foot assy: The above also goes for the lower fork leg; length has to be close to the SSie component length as well, or there will be problems (total travel, etc.) Have to think that over ...

Theorethically, you could swap fork legs and fork feet around, but there are (at least) two different fork leg / fork foot interfaces used by Showa.

Rebound adjuster rod: Obviously, has to be adapted to any mods made to the cartridge / cartridge rod.

But with attention to details, I think such a mod could work. And agreed, the standard 50/54 forks are a nightmare ....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm worried about the length. It seems to me that all the SBK-forks are different lengths compared to the SSie forks. And then I might have to use spacers for the brake rotors due to different offset.

I guess this is not the way to go. I've seen people put 996/998 internals on St2 and st3 bikes, but I guess they just ignore the different length

Would it be bad to bottom out on the cartridge? I don't know much about suspension really.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm worried about the length. It seems to me that all the SBK-forks are different lengths compared to the SSie forks. And then I might have to use spacers for the brake rotors due to different offset.

I guess this is not the way to go. I've seen people put 996/998 internals on St2 and st3 bikes, but I guess they just ignore the different length

Would it be bad to bottom out on the cartridge? I don't know much about suspension really.
Having thought about this some more, I think the complete lower assy (fork leg with foot and complete cartridge) will drop right in in a manner of speaking, but the length of the hybrid fork will be whatever the lower assy provides. I´m not sure what happens exactly if the difference in length is substantial, and I think the SSie forks are substantially longer than the SBK forks.

Bottoming the cartridge would be bad.

I think the offset is the same on all wheels wit the same brake disc bolt pattern, but not sure ....

Edit again:
I´ve dug around in my notes and pics:

Monster Cartridge by torbjörn bergström, on Flickr

With the cartridge fully extended, acc to my notes the length of some cartridges are as follows:
900 / 1000 SSie: 645 mm
Monster / ST: 604 mm
916, 748: 624 mm
Unfortunately I don´t have the figure for 749/999.

The easiest mod would be to get a set of 1000 DS forks, which are designed in the proper way and only needs some upgraded shimstacks and decent springs. That is a true drop-in; see here:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=61968.0

Kind regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts