Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what the labor rate is around the region.

Here in Nevada, I believe Ducati Las Vegas is $125 an hour and in Reno, its $128. I have a 30k Desmo coming up and I was considering taking it up to Motocorso in Portland until I found out it was $140 an hour. But to their credit, they offer a 20% discount during the winter for parts and labor only because it's slow. That is really cool, but weather might come onto play for me. My bike is my only ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
those rates sound pretty 'reasonable' ...

here in the california bay area its closer to 150 or 160/hr .... but then again everything is friggin' expensive around here

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Same in NY, 120 or 125

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Devils advocate ...

Isn't it more about the total price for the work combined with the work being done properly?

A not so good mech might take 5 hours @ $100 and a good one 3 hours @ $125

Then add the quality/confidence that it was done correctly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Local dealer here quote me $1000 - $1200 for the 15,000 mile service. Buddy and I did it for about $200 over a weekend.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Local dealer here quote me $1000 - $1200 for the 15,000 mile service. Buddy and I did it for about $200 over a weekend.
And had some fun, learnt a few things plus the cost of beer and food - can't beat that!

Caveat - dealers or whoever have insurances to pay, warrant their work, pay for premises, pay employees and all the other overheads, etc.

$1200 + seems like a lot of $$ to me.
Fortunately my bike is so simple I can do all myself and do it way outside the recommended intervals that are probably based on 2 year/unlimited km or miles warranty.
I do SFA to my bike and it still runs like a dream.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far low end $90 and high between $150-160. The 30k Desmo is always more labor intensive than the 15k because of the valves. Keep 'em coming

If you do it yourself, you have any trouble claiming warranty or any difficulties turning off the service light? I'm not a wrencher so I always have a shop do my service.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ducati Seattle and Redmond, based on my diagnostics bill, are $150/hr. I've been quoted $1600-1800 for the 15k Desmo, going to try to limit it to belts and valve check.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So far low end $90 and high between $150-160. The 30k Desmo is always more labor intensive than the 15k because of the valves. Keep 'em coming

If you do it yourself, you have any trouble claiming warranty or any difficulties turning off the service light? I'm not a wrencher so I always have a shop do my service.
I can't speak to a warranty claim but my service light went away after we had the battery disconnected for the service.

I'm not a wrencher either but the 15k and 30k both require valve checks so not sure what you are speaking of when you say 30k is more involved. Valves get checked at 15k mile intervals. If they are out of spec, the shims have to be replaced. You are correct that they will charge you more IF the valves have to have their shims replaced, but checking of the valves happens at both service intervals.

My valves were in SPEC at 15,000 miles and CessnaTPA's valves were in SPEC at 45,000 miles. Now that I have done it once with somebody that has done it before, I'm confident I could do it myself at the 30,000 mile interval.

·
Registered
321 Posts
DucPond in Winchester, VA. $109/Hr

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
IIRC the parts cost nearly that much... doing a full Desmo service is 8 hours for an expert: $1000 is cheap, $1200 is a very good price. If someone did it for $200 they basically did it for free (or didn't actually do the desmo service but rather did a regular service).

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
I'm not a wrencher either but the 15k and 30k both require valve checks so not sure what you are speaking of when you say 30k is more involved. Valves get checked at 15k mile intervals. If they are out of spec, the shims have to be replaced. You are correct that they will charge you more IF the valves have to have their shims replaced, but checking of the valves happens at both service intervals.
Maybe confusing KM with Miles. The actual service intervals (DVT Multi's) are 15,000 KM... at 15kkm you get oil service ($200-$300 USD), at 30kkm you get desmo service ($1200-$1500), at 45kkm oil, 60kkm desmo... rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
the earlier ones are 15,000 miles/24,000km for the major service. they're progressively pushing it out as the models go on.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
the earlier ones are 15,000 miles/24,000km for the major service. they're progressively pushing it out as the models go on.
Yea I have friends with earlier models... but I was trying to figure out how he could think that the 15k service is different from 30k (when for the earlier models they're identical).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Is it really any wonder why nobody's buying these things and the mkt is in the toilet?

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Is it really any wonder why nobody's buying these things and the mkt is in the toilet?
That's a very US centric idea... the US market is crap for a lot of reasons, but in Europe the bike market is very healthy if the number of riders I saw last month is any indication. In Asia the motorcycle/moped market is insane... I'm looking out my hotel window in Shanghai right now and there are 4x more scooters than cars in my field of view.

I generally tell folks who are very price conscious to avoid European brands... Japan makes fantastic bikes that are less expensive AND far less costly to maintain. If the idea of a $1200 service bill every couple years sounds like BS to you then look at great alternatives from Asia. I can't say the big bill is something I look forward to paying, but for a bike that fits my needs so well I'm willing to deal with it. If my Multi decided grenade tomorrow I'd definitely replace it even given the service costs... though I might move toward a GS/Streetfighter combo instead of a one bike fits all ride... but I have zero regrets with the Multi, even after coughing up on average >$1200'ish/year for maintenance (excluding gas)

Reactions: suruppak
1 - 20 of 40 Posts