Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess what, I just found a source for the elusive Shell Advanced 4 motor oil, the same one that is recommended for our bikes by Ducati, it is a FULL syn motorcycle spec oil, and comes in 10W40 or 15W50, comes in case (12 quarts) quantity only, price is in the $13 per quart range, and will take about 3 to 4 weeks to get, I'm getting a case for myself, so I can add other orders to mine. If anyone is interested please PM me. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm sure its good stuff, I run the Rotella 5W-40W syn in my 2-stroke transmissions. The only reason that it is recommended though is there is a contract to do so. I've had a few KTMs and GasGass and each came with a different sticker on the clutch cover, Shell Advance to Motorex, to Spectro, depending on who signed on that year. I wouldn't go out of my way or pay more to get it, your Mobil 1 is fine for less $.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Anything special about this oil? I'm sure its good oil being full syn but $13 a quart is quite expensive.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anything special about this oil? I'm sure its good oil being full syn but $13 a quart is quite expensive.
I personally don't know much about this oil, other than what I'v read on some of the European motorcycle websights, its probley equivalent to our Mobil 1 or Amsoil, which I'v used both of, (Amsoil right now) I'm just throwing this out there, to see if anyone wants to use the Ducati recommended engine oil, that seems impossible to get over here. The cost of the oil is about same as our top oils, but cost us more because of the shipping, Its for the person who wants to be a little different, and to have something that other people can't get. (bragging rights?) :D Aloha Alex

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well this baffled me... We have this stuff on every Shell station around here on shelf.. besides, with dry clutch you can use wider range of oils anyway, as long they fill right specs for gearboxes..

·
Registered
236 Posts
i think the Shell thing is more a sponsorship thing rather than it being a great oil for our Ducatis.
my personal reasoning is: on my 848 i didnt like it so much when the dealer put it back into my bike after a service as i found that i would false neutral more compared to the silkolene i was running in there previously.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this baffled me... We have this stuff on every Shell station around here on shelf.. besides, with dry clutch you can use wider range of oils anyway, as long they fill right specs for gearboxes..
LUCKY U!! :p well, at least we can get Mobil 1 10W40 or 20W50 motorcycle oil
at most any auto parts store such as Kreagen, Autozone, Pepboys, etc.etc :D Aloha Alex

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use Agip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts