Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been looking at getting a BMW S1000RR for quite a while and this whole recall thing they're enduring has kinda scared and frustrated me.

So I started looking at a SF 848 my dealer has. I test rode it and I really liked it!

My local dealer has an S1000RR I probably would've bought a month ago but I've been waiting and waiting...for the recall repair. It looks like it'll be weeks before its done.

How do folks feel about buying a brand new bike that has had a massive 8 hour plus engine repair before its even hit the road once?!? Would you do it? Or wait until next season? And get a 2013 model? Or get the SF 848?

I know they're very different bikes (apples to oranges, etc...). That said I wanna know people's thoughts and info I may not have.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Have a friend who bought a previous gen S1000RR, it blew up on the way home...that was on a Friday, on the following Tuesday they gave him a new bike, which has been fine so far...have another friend with the new gen S1000RR and I don't imagine he's too happy at all...get a Panigale...

·
Bon Vivant
10,965 Posts
Hello all,

I've been looking at getting a BMW S1000RR for quite a while and this whole recall thing they're enduring has kinda scared and frustrated me.

So I started looking at a SF 848 my dealer has. I test rode it and I really liked it!

My local dealer has an S1000RR I probably would've bought a month ago but I've been waiting and waiting...for the recall repair. It looks like it'll be weeks before its done.

How do folks feel about buying a brand new bike that has had a massive 8 hour plus engine repair before its even hit the road once?!? Would you do it? Or wait until next season? And get a 2013 model? Or get the SF 848?

I know they're very different bikes (apples to oranges, etc...). That said I wanna know people's thoughts and info I may not have.

Thanks!

Just curious why you would go with the 848 SF over the 1098 SF if you like S1000RR power?

Here you are on the SF1098:

And here you are on the SF848:

Jus kidden :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just curious why you would go with the 848 SF over the 1098 SF if you like S1000RR power?

Here you are on the SF1098:

And here you are on the SF848:

Jus kidden :D
Bwahahahahah so true. I wonder how long it will take till the mini sf crew gets in here and preaches on you flying :D

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
there's gonna be some hurt feelings out there flyn...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of lol on this thread!

I'm not offended. I know it seems strange to compare these 2 bikes but it's the 2 my dealer has that interest me the most.

Just curious to get thoughts.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
If you're looking for the power of the BMW I wouldn't get the 848SF. However, if the one BMW in that shop has some major engine recall that needs to be done I wouldn't buy it either. I don't know exactly what the engine work entails. Is it a complete engine swap? Even if it was you're buying a used BMW. At least in my opinion it is. Even with the most careful technicians there's going to be traces of their work. That just doesn't sit well with me. If you want raw power get a BMW in 2013 that doesn't need engine work. If you want a SF I would get the 1099SF in your case and not the 848SF.

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
If you're looking for the power of the BMW I wouldn't get the 848SF. However, if the one BMW in that shop has some major engine recall that needs to be done I wouldn't buy it either. I don't know exactly what the engine work entails. Is it a complete engine swap? Even if it was you're buying a used BMW. At least in my opinion it is. Even with the most careful technicians there's going to be traces of their work. That just doesn't sit well with me. If you want raw power get a BMW in 2013 that doesn't need engine work. If you want a SF I would get the 1099SF in your case and not the 848SF.
He connecting rod nuts are coming loose and locking up the motor, coming through the case, etc.. I believe the fix is a retorque with thread locker.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
That means the engine has to come out and the cases have to be spit. Unless I'm wrong about that. That's an engine tear down in my eyes. There's no way I would buy into that. I would wait to get a 2013 that didn't need that done.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Have a friend who bought a previous gen S1000RR, it blew up on the way home...that was on a Friday, on the following Tuesday they gave him a new bike, which has been fine so far...have another friend with the new gen S1000RR and I don't imagine he's too happy at all...get a Panigale...
I have a friend whose s1000 engine blew up on the track in front of my eyes. The dealer replaced his engine with a brand new one.

My sf engine blew up at 3500 odd kms. The dealer replaced mine with a new one (after a lot of pestering).

You don't choose a bike based on what your dealer has. Pick one which you like and buy from elsewhere. The s1000 may have tons of power but it is so high up in the rev range that it's almost unusable in day to day riding. If you are after power then get the big SF. It has so much power so low down that it too is almost unusable in day to day riding :D

I almost bought the s1000 twice, but every time I took a test ride on demo bikes and my mates, it didn't impress me at all.

If you want gizmos get the RSV-4 APRC.

·
øøøøº
1,312 Posts
Hey indi, hows the boys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't get me wrong...I'm not just choosing something from what my dealership has necessarily...When I started this search, I had been impressed by the S1000RR. I drive BMW cars as well. When I went down to the dealership (only euro bike dealer for hundred miles around) I saw the Ducati and was intrigued and gave it a ride. Really liked the whole fit and finish of it! Great sound and feel! Looks WAY better in person...

I know these bikes are very different, wish I could just buy them both! But I can't...

Just seeing what folks think. More info = better decision making.

Interesting about the "usable" power issue. That is something I noticed. When I rode the SF848 I also rode a used S1000RR they had for a comparison.

I think the main thing that bugs me about the SF is the lack of ABS but otherwise it's great. The BMW seems tainted by this whole recall thing. Seems wrong that they want "new" money for a bike that's had an 8 hour engine recall! Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, ya know?

Just some thoughts...

Keep the posts coming and don't worry about offending me if you're lurking and not posting, I'm cool with people's opinions.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm...don't know what I want? Not so.

One bike doesn't do it all. Not possible. There in lies the problem.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hey indi, hows the boys.
Doing good bzr, still check the forum daily as I'm gonna get back on a SF as soon as the mess created by Ducati India is sorted out. How are you doing?

Got a harley for a couple of months after the SF and was in major depression, it was like a "what was I thinking" feeling. Got the FZ-1 then and heavily modified it, apparently with the mods it puts out 150 on the rear wheel and is smooth like you wouldn't believe. Wheelies like a proper hooligan bike. I still miss the "I'm gonna kill you on the next corner" threats the SF used to dish out :D

I'm the happiest about the audi takeover, I'm hoping the management changes in India sooner rather than later. I wanna get back on a Duc. Meanwhile I'm waiting for the speedie to be available here (very soon).
I know these bikes are very different, wish I could just buy them both! But I can't...

I think the main thing that bugs me about the SF is the lack of ABS but otherwise it's great. The BMW seems tainted by this whole recall thing. Seems wrong that they want "new" money for a bike that's had an 8 hour engine recall! Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, ya know?
I wish I could keep the top 10 bikes I love ;)

I've never owned a bike with ABS so don't know if it will really help in a sticky situation.

I wouldn't worry about the recall, BMW is a big company who don't seem intent on screwing their customers. If you want a bimmer but not one that has been worked upon ask your dealer to order a new one.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Something to keep in mind as well, BMW comes with 3 year unlimited miles warranty. I wouldn't sweat a couple of recalls.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would break it down this way...

S1000RR is the track bike, SF848 is the streetbike. If you plan on doing more trackdays, then go for the S1000RR, if you plan on riding the street more, then get the SF848.

And I wouldnt worry about the power diff or where it comes in between the two. I'm pretty sure that the power/torque between the two at lower rpm's will be the same, it's just that the bmw will pull away at the upper end. The torque from a liter I4 will be comparable to a midsize vtwin i would say.

And I really wouldnt care that much about the recall. Duc's have had their fair share of recalls too and still has the expanding tank to deal with.

So.. which do you see yourself doing more? Street or track?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts