Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who out there would be more inclined to take their bikes to a privately owned shop apposed to a dealer?

·
Go for it!
461 Posts
I have taken my bike to Nichols in Milpitas, CA for all scheduled maintenances. They are very competent mechanics at a very reasonable rate. Top notch service. They are not a Ducati shop nor authorized shop. I trust them completely. I think Desmo Time is similar duc shop like Nichols. If I were living nearby Desmo Time, I would take my bike to him.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think a good independent mechanic is always better than the Stealer.

I use JD Horde, no horror stories like the stealer. Lower price with more attention to detail, yea.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have taken my bike to Nichols in Milpitas, CA for all scheduled maintenances. They are very competent mechanics at a very reasonable rate. Top notch service. They are not a Ducati shop nor authorized shop. I trust them completely. I think Desmo Time is similar duc shop like Nichols. If I were living nearby Desmo Time, I would take my bike to him.
this.

every time. the last dealer I took my bike too was a tad disingenuous.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think a good independent mechanic is always better than the Stealer.

I use JD Horde, no horror stories like the stealer. Lower price with more attention to detail, yea.
That's it, just lump us all into the same catagory. Thieves, liars, greedy bastards. Forget the shops who have passionate owners. Forget the technical training that we have invested in. Sometimes I wonder why I even participate and sponsor when this is such a prevailing attitude.

David and I have had an independent shop and then a franchised dealership and I'll tell you that as an independent you are definately handicapped when it comes to the kind of technical information that you have access to as a dealer. Find a good tech, don't trust your bike to someone who is not familiar with Ducati.

Kathy Jo

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Go to a dealer for warranty issues only. Take your bike to an indy shop to have it worked on correctly.

If your in or near Colorado......... Boulder Motor Sports!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Lots of generalizing going on here. I've known both independant and Brand Name Dealership mechanics that were very good at what they do. I've also known both that I wouldn't let walk my dog. Every person out there working on stuff is different. Every shop is different. I would suggest finding someone you trust, and sticking with that person. Whether they work at an Independant, or a Line Dealership, or out of their garage at home. They key is trust.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lots of generalizing going on here. I've known both independant and Brand Name Dealership mechanics that were very good at what they do. I've also known both that I wouldn't let walk my dog. Every person out there working on stuff is different. Every shop is different. I would suggest finding someone you trust, and sticking with that person. Whether they work at an Independant, or a Line Dealership, or out of their garage at home. They key is trust.
Yea, but you have really cool dogs! I wouldn't let just anyone walk them either!

·
Registered
39 Posts
A lot of the choice has to do with the customer perception of value. They come to a Dealer because of the name on the door and the Independent shop because of their proven competence or reputation. I agree that trust is a huge factor for repeat business.

If they feel they are getting the same service from both they will chose based on cost or convenience. They see it as an apples to apples comparison.

Most have no knowledge of the added expense of mandatory tools, training and warranty support that the dealer has to bear. Whereas the Independent has to read, listen and beg (sometimes) for information on new models or problems they might be having.

The Dealer has the disadvantage of a higher overhead to cover while the Independent has a lack of current information to deal with.

So SELL YOURSELF! No Apathy! Every employee and contact person operating under your name should be drilled on making the customer experience the best you can produce. You're not going to please everybody but if the experience is good they will know it's worth the extra coin.

I'm 32yrs as an independent auto repair facility and 7yrs before that in bike and car dealers. This subject gets discussed all the time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i like to do everything myself thats a huge part of owning a duc, always learned by doing .now once in a while theres a hiccup but get back on the bike and learn.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
+ eleventy billion on nichols ...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would like to take my bike to the dealer but most of the time the cost of service is prohibitive. For my 7.5K I took the bike to a private shop - good work and I saved me a quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It depends which place has better coffee! I did both in the '80s when I first started riding.

I got frustrated when the dealer charged me for work that wasn't done and then gave me the run around about oil usage.

Private guy, in his garage, took way to long because he had to "borrow" tools from the dealership where he worked.

I just started doing it myself and found that I liked it. Besides, I make good coffee. :D

I did always get the first service done by the dealer. And I always sent my friends and anybody that asked to the dealer. I figure that the dealer deserves the chance to win (or lose) the business. The parts guy always gave me a "good customer" discount.

·
Registered
630 Posts
who out there would be more inclined to take their bikes to a privately owned shop apposed to a dealer?
I think it depends on the dealer and the independent shop. I've had good and bad experiences with both. My Ducati dealer is Letko in Kansas City and they are great. The Ducati dealership in Oklahoma City (140 miles closer) is completely worthless - I would never take a bike to them. There aren't really any local independent shops familiar with Ducatis.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, if I can find a competent mechanic nearby. I've had good luck with BMW (Ducati) of North Texas but they do charge the "full" rate.

You have someone in mind?

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
I used to have that same attitude about stealerships until I bought my Ducati. My local dealer, GP Motorcycles, has taken very good care of me since day one.

When I had my Suzuki's, god, I hated them. Absolute bottom feeders, customer service low and high prices. So my bikes were always worked on by independent guys, even guys that were great mechanics that didn't even own a shop. That's when I started to really learn to work on my own bikes.

But the Duc, the Duc gets the red carpet treatment from GP in San Diego. Awesome guys.

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
A lot of the choice has to do with the customer perception of value. They come to a Dealer because of the name on the door and the Independent shop because of their proven competence or reputation. I agree that trust is a huge factor for repeat business.

If they feel they are getting the same service from both they will chose based on cost or convenience. They see it as an apples to apples comparison.

Most have no knowledge of the added expense of mandatory tools, training and warranty support that the dealer has to bear. Whereas the Independent has to read, listen and beg (sometimes) for information on new models or problems they might be having.

The Dealer has the disadvantage of a higher overhead to cover while the Independent has a lack of current information to deal with.

So SELL YOURSELF! No Apathy! Every employee and contact person operating under your name should be drilled on making the customer experience the best you can produce. You're not going to please everybody but if the experience is good they will know it's worth the extra coin.

I'm 32yrs as an independent auto repair facility and 7yrs before that in bike and car dealers. This subject gets discussed all the time.
What's the name of your shop, and where are you located? I'm in Ridley Park. I've got a AMG Benz I need some work on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts