Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Long story short I have owned a manual for every bike I have owned and never had to pay more than $40.00 fast forward to 2020 bought a new bike no service manual available anywhere not even straight from Ducati.

Went to the dealer 3 weeks ago still no 2020 available so I ordered the 2019 all models. What a total FU price $630.00 cnd

I now have it in hand, it's on a USB but they do have it locked down and encrypted. It unlocks its self when plugged in. I would hate for it to get corrupted... I need to make a backup

·
Registered
15 Posts
On a positive note, you'll pay for it doing one scheduled service job yourself.

What kind of encryption key are they using to know to unlock when you plug it in? There must be something else involved that will prevent you from making any kind of copy...even a backup. That's how these things usually work.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The usual type of encryption on something like this is the USB has an app to mount a hidden image on it. Can't just copy files from it because they won't appear on the formatted part of the USB storage area, it takes the mounting app to unlock the image. The link I provided above grabs all that and makes identical copies. In some cases they might have a password or key to enter before the image app will run, but OP bought that and it will be the same on all clones he makes.

Not a particularly difficult encryption, more inconvenient than secure. Hopefully that purchase will allow him to get updates from Ducati.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
They can easily validate the device ID, I doubt it would be as easy as duplicate the stick. Would be curious to try to hack that though.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
You will be surprised at how common this method is, defeats non tech people easily. Sometimes the instruction is simply to read the device backwards, the "table of contents" so to speak is at the "end" of the formatted area instead of the usual first part.

BTW - cloning is just like it sounds, identical, the device ID is duped also. It works best with the same size USB stick which can be hard to identify, you look at the properties of their stick to find the original manufacturers part number for the stick and google that to find the exact size before they messed with it. Shouldn't need to be concerned about getting the same brand of stick and maybe not even the size.

The best time to clone is before you install it on a PC if there is an installation option. There can be a counter bit set for a single installation, so you would want it cloned before that is set. That method of encryption usually requires the VIN to be entered at the first step.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Hmm,
I bought a brand new 2019 1200s and my dealer told me there were no service manuals available at any price. The only info was available at the dealer who pays big money for an online service.
Is that 2019 all models manual available online anywhere. I would be willing to pay the big bucks for it because as others state, I will save it in the long run by doing service myself. My dealer is up to $170/hr shop rate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmm,
I bought a brand new 2019 1200s and my dealer told me there were no service manuals available at any price. The only info was available at the dealer who pays big money for an online service.
Is that 2019 all models manual available online anywhere. I would be willing to pay the big bucks for it because as others state, I will save it in the long run by doing service myself. My dealer is up to $170/hr shop rate.
Ducati of Omaha shows it for $557.87
Now you just need the digital tool to reset the service light and other locked away stuff.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Texa is what I have at my shop

1 - 10 of 10 Posts