Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO the infamous pebble hit the fairing going thru roadwork (ack!) the other day. As famous as these body panels are for their flexibility, i still attained a nick size of a pinhead only. Felt pen wont work on 25K bike. Any other fellows had to do a minor touch up?

·
Banned
3 Posts
SO the infamous pebble hit the fairing going thru roadwork (ack!) the other day. As famous as these body panels are for their flexibility, i still attained a nick size of a pinhead only. Felt pen wont work on 25K bike. Any other fellows had to do a minor touch up?
Colorrite paint #7500 Ducati OEM color. get the pen size or little touch up jar size.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I have the ColorRite paint pen and it works well, matches perfectly. You can also try PPG paint code 473.101, this is the OEM Ducati paint.
Just prep the chip w/ a good prep solvent, I use DupliColor wipes because you can reuse them. Then fill the chip a little at a time until the chip is filled in level. Let the paint harden a week. Then use a mild polishing compound, I like Meguairs "Scratch X". Rub the compound on the paint to blend, then add a clear coat (ColorRite #TFCC-1) Let that set a week a blend also. Should be a perfect fix, just be patient and let the paint harden!:)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I didn't check your profile to see what bike we're talking about, but be aware that "Ducati Red" has changed over the years. A pen that matches my '91 907 isn't going to match my '97 900ss...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Desmodog,
good point - 2009 1198S. Thanks for clarifying

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got the color rite paint, matches perfect, but expensive and you have to wait for shipping.

Honestly,

go to the auto parts store and go to the touch up paint section and look for the scratch fix 2 in 1 TY 01560 Super Red II 3E5 Toyota. Matches just as good as colorite and it is a lot cheaper. I have used both on mine and can't tell the difference for small areas.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Never worked for me...looked like crap when I was done
Like anything else it takes time and patience. It's a matter of filling the chip level, which could take several applications of paint...allowing each application to dry hard. As you get level or beyond level actually is better you can then use the compound or a very fine sand paper (2000 grit mirror fine) and some soapy water to level. Then you can polish to shine w/ Meguair 's Scratch X. Prep and add clear, blend and it's nearly impossible to see.
Sorry it hasn't worked out for you!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts