Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down sat. and ended up haveing some damage to the right side fairing,who makes the best matching paint for our ducati's. Is it possible to get a quart from italy sent to the state side:think: i'm still feeling the effect's from sat. and i never been in this position before so i'm all ears bro..thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'ld contact a dealer, as they should B able to point you in the right direction...

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Go to Color Rite's website, they are the official paint manufacturers for Ducati paint. Sounds like your thinking of repairing and painting the fairing yourself?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Color rite is a rip off, just go to an automotive paint supply store and bring them a colored piece, they have a scanner called the profit and they can read and match it to a T, I've hat it done that way a number of time and was always dead on. Cheers! and sorry for the downer.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to Color Rite's website, they are the official paint manufacturers for Ducati paint. Sounds like your thinking of repairing and painting the fairing yourself?
I was thinking about John but i recently put on a DP-Kit and there is some cosmetic damage to one pipe,bent lever (ft brk) ,rgt bar end,pair of pants,rht boot,rgt glove.So i'll be calling Formost for info.insurance wise to see what must be done.This rider Larossa is saying color-rite is a rip off ? i wonder what happened to him for him to say that:confused:

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
there is nothing wrong with Color-Rite paint, it matches up nicely. price/value is a subjective comment, but many here seem happy with that company (me included).

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I have no problem with the color matching, I have a problem with the price they stab you with, you can get the same exact match at the paint supply store for at least 1/3rd!, but I guess if money is no object, Color Rite is where you want to go to.

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
I've used color-rite, the match was perfect. BUT, it was $128.00 a PINT. And than you have to clear it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Guys, the PPG paint codes are in the owners manual. Dont pay out the arse for paint, its not cheap anyway!!! Go to an auto parts store, its not a brand issue, its a paint color issue. Any paint brand will work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad to see your all right! Today, any reputable body/paint shop can match the color if you have the paint code. If not, a scanner (like the profit) should do the trick!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
BASF

R-M Products

Paint Code I got for the mix from the store was SR105.50

Used a Napa Cross Fire Medium Hardner

you can find info on R-M here at www.basfrefinish.com

Here is a photo of the rear panels I did on my old Hyper to show how well the paint color matched. The sun made the red look a little less brilliant but you can see how well it matched anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was thinking about John but i recently put on a DP-Kit and there is some cosmetic damage to one pipe,bent lever (ft brk) ,rgt bar end,pair of pants,rht boot,rgt glove.So i'll be calling Formost for info.insurance wise to see what must be done.This rider Larossa is saying color-rite is a rip off ? i wonder what happened to him for him to say that:confused:
ColorRite Is a ripoff thats why.... They also falsely advertise their realationship to the manufacturers & The paint only matches 50% of the time..... can mix the Rossa Red but it is expensive when you buy bu the pint $88 or $160 a quart,,,, I use Dupont Chroma Base & the formula is straight from Italy.....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ducati Family

Thank you all for your wisdom and reply. I'm wanting to keep the bike original as possible being it is a Ducati,the paint has to be the real deal,i can't seem putting other than the original paint on my bike even though PainterDude sounds dead on w/ what he wrote,i'll check out thier web-site for sure.Thanks again to all of you,ride saftly...:)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
All we can do is lead the horse to the water, as far as drinking, is up to him!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another recommendation is House of Color's "Blue Blood." I'd recommend a white primer first and it will be spot on color wise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Guys, the PPG paint codes are in the owners manual. Dont pay out the arse for paint, its not cheap anyway!!! Go to an auto parts store, its not a brand issue, its a paint color issue. Any paint brand will work.
+1

I've done this before and this is the route to take. It's cheaper, you get to support a local business and if there is anything wrong with the paint you have someone to go to. They can give you the paint in a variety of ways, touch up pens, spray bombs, mixed for a air brush, etc etc.

The last one I did was a Lotus Elise in Chrome Orange which was a 3 stage paint of base, metallic flake and clear. The match was perfect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went to an automotive paint store. They did the scan and then I looked through several books and settled on a Ferrari red. It looked dead on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts