Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im purchasing a 08 1098s new from the dealer. My concern prior to taking delivery of the bike is the recall issues. Ducati says the rear sprocket and rectifier need to be replaced . Does this mean that its mandatory for the dealer to fix this problem prior to selling the bike ? If i ask the dealer if they replaced the recall items and they say it has been done. How will i be able to determine this? I would hate to take the bike home to find out a short time later i need to bring the bike back , then wait days if not weeks.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The day after I bought my 848 last month I called and asked my sales person to find out if the 2 recalls has been done prior to me leaving with it. He called me back the next day and said they had been. I'm am going back for my 600 mile service on Tuesday at which point the service department said they would provide me with documentation they had been performed per what my sales person told me.

We'll see....

·
Registered
66 Posts
If they did do the fixes, they should be able to provide something written for you. Remember - if it isn't written, it didn't happen.

·
9,757 Posts
Tell the dealer to do the recalls. They're covered under warranty and they only take a couple hours to perform.

The dealership will definitely be able to tell you if the recalls have been done or not btw. The rectifier is a major issue, I kept neglecting my recalls and I ended up stranded in the middle of nowhere. Get it taken care of prior to picking the bike up.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
The dealer should be able to get into the Ducati computer system and show you that the recalls have been executed, or do a printscreen of the page and give it to you. They get paid to do them by DNA, so there's not reason they wouldn't want to do the recalls. Back when they were issued there was a waiting list for parts on one of the recalls (rectifier mount I think) but at this point I would think the parts are readily available.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Checking to see that the rear sprocket has been replaced is easy if you have ever seen the first edition. There is a marked difference between the first and the second. If there is someone that could provide a picture of the new one that would put that issue to bed. It has been replaced or it has not, simple.

The issue with the new regulator and the associated heat shield is a little more complicated
due to where the thing is located under the battery behind the lower left fairing. Once again it either was or was not and once you take the left side fairing off it is easy to tell by the metal shield placed between the regulator mounting and the front cylinder header.

I just bought a 2008 and the dealer told me the recalls had been performed and when I took the body work off it was indeed done. I could see the difference between the 2007 rear sprocket first edition and the second at a glance.

If I was home I would be glad to post the pictures but I am not so I can't, sorry.

Don't think too much about it. The rear sprocket is indeed a safety issue and is the easy one. Buy the bike you want and ride the hell out of it.

I found this picture of the left rear with the first gen. sprocket. You can see in the picture there is not much material between the cush drive, round attachments, and the sprocket/hub proper. The second generation is much beefier and very much noticably more material in the before mentioned areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
They will do the changes. If it breaks and there is an accident they are in a major lawsuit. Nobody, I hope, is that stupid and unethical.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK i spoke to the service manager and he ran the vin on the computer and only the regulator came up as a recall for that specific bike. He said he woiuld order thepart and it should be in by mid next week and replaced. The sprocket didnt come up as a recall, he said it was only certain vins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts