Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy of mine is looking at a new 749s that is discounted for racers. So of course the bike will NOT come with any warranties. He ask for my opinion; I naturally said with any new bike, that's the ultimate benefit is having some type of warranty. But when I said this, I realized I didn't even do 1 warranty related item on my 04 749. So I ask him what's the discount cost and if it's a big difference, then it's really a toss up?

My friend said he can get a 749s for about 12.4K and it's full street form. So what do you guys think? good deal? or pay full MSRP?

And for sake of discussion, my friend is not a newbie. He's been riding forever and is a level IV at KeithCode. It's really a question of buying a new bike for a great discount, and really how often do we really use the warranty on our ducs anyway. because (knock on wood), I haven't on mine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
second time for me

I have an 05 749D and have taken my bike in for a stalling problem. Then today when I washed the bike, I turned her on and the headlights didn't work. Both low and high beams didn't come on but my signals, brake light, and parking lights worked. I am going to call and make an appointment because I shouldn't have burn out lights in just a few months.
It could be a fuse or something else. Why should I have to take apart my bike when it should of been put together right the first time (I always expect the worse). It also give me a chance to pick up parts and order more carbon fiber ones.

get the warranty

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure about bikes but the great thing about buying a new car for racing as opposed to a used car isn't the warrenty it's the fact that you know what you're vehicle has been through.

I have an 05 wrx that I bought last August and within the first 2 weeks of owning it I voided the warrenty. Now I have so many aftermaket parts on it that there isn't really anything to replace under warrenty work.

With a Duc pretty much anything can be fixed by yourself short a valve lash adjustment so I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My 2 cents: You are better off buying an '04 or an '05 with low miles and at least several months left on the warranty, than getting a brand new one with no warranty.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
PC_tuner said:
I have an 05 wrx that I bought last August and within the first 2 weeks of owning it I voided the warrenty. Now I have so many aftermaket parts on it that there isn't really anything to replace under warrenty work.
how do you like your WRX. i haven't gotten the chance to run one yet, but every time i see one i want to drive it, espacially when i see em at the trakc, espaecially the blue with gold wheels minus the hood scoop

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love it. They, like Duc's, have one of the most unique exhaust notes due to the un-equal length headers associated with a flat style engine. They communicate very well at the limit. The only thing that holds them back is the stock transmission on the wrx. It is prone to failure when subjected to HP levels above 300whp. The STi on the other hand has none of these problems with it's 6spd due to a much stronger transmisson case that prevents tranny flex.

For the money you just can't beat a wrx (bikes excluded).

·
Registered
364 Posts
head leaking oil

I'd have to agree with MIGZ (As always), I have an 04 749 that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago with 101 miles on the clock, and I am already getting a small oil leak out of the back head. Thank god this bike is still under warranty!!!! Apparently, this is somewhat of a common problem with 749s.

Also, it seems like some other common problems with the 749's have been that the cam timing has been off and has caused a stalling problem (not that I have experienced), and I think it might be specific to a certain year, but I am not sure. I know there have been some common problems with the bike, so if you could always afford to fix the bike, then warranty doesn't matter, otherwise, the warranty might be a good ins. policy for two years.

Personally, I like the peace of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts