Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the quick change sprocket carrier kit, I'm just going to use the stock hub cover and get it powder coated. My question is, will I need to modify anything or is this a simple replacement/swap out? Thanks fellas.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures will speak for themselves...
um, not sure if that helps lol. I only ask because after looking at YellowDucking's thread, he had to do some mods to his. I'm just wondering if all I have to do is install the quick change carrier and use the stock hub. I saw that he had his wheel lock up after the mod. I'm hoping to not run into that problem.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I believe the sprocket he changed to was just standard aluminum, his pitch was also 520 which altogether lead to a failure-broken teeth. That was on his R1.

I like the 525 more than the 520. The 520 just doesn't last as long it seems. If I were to run a 520, I'd be sure to get a case saver and assure that the aluminum sprocket is at least a hard tensile aluminum (6061). I don't believe there is really any modifying that needs to be done so long as the carrier you get is specific to your machine.

edit- I guess his kit did not come with a spacer for the 996 model. Sorry.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?p=539764&highlight=carrier#post539764

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe the sprocket he changed to was just standard aluminum, his pitch was also 520 which altogether lead to a failure-broken teeth. That was on his R1.

I like the 525 more than the 520. The 520 just doesn't last as long it seems. If I were to run a 520, I'd be sure to get a case saver and assure that the aluminum sprocket is at least a hard tensile aluminum (6061). I don't believe there is really any modifying that needs to be done so long as the carrier you get is specific to your machine.

edit- I guess his kit did not come with a spacer for the 996 model. Sorry.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?p=539764&highlight=carrier#post539764
I just bought the whole kit, from Motor Sports Machine on EBAY. They had a 100% feedback. It was the front and rear sprocket with a billet quick change carrier. Specifically for the 748. Thanks for the helps fellas.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
edit- I guess his kit did not come with a spacer for the 996 model.
Chances are that was due to an issue of two hub designs.

The early one had the hub stick out well past the sprocket (carrier) and there is a C-clip that holds the sprocket (carrier) in place on the side facing the swingarm. The newer design (around 2001 or 2002) has this extension milled off of the hub and a flared spacer is used instead.

Chances are, the OP's 2002 should be like mine where it should simply bolt onto the bike, but he MUST use the spacer and make sure that it is installed correctly as to not rub on anything. I want to say the smaller OD goes toward the swingarm and the larger OD of the spacer goes against the carrier, but don't quote me on that as it's been a couple of years since doing the conversion on my bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts