Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've got an 03 620 Dark I just cleared 1000 miles on, and I'm already thinking of what I can put on it next. Right now it's totally stock.

I'm seriously thinking about some Ducati Performance pipes and maybe even the engine upgrade kit (which apparently boosts it to 750cc)... Found them on the accessories on Ducati.com and also Advanced Motorsports.... well, I was thinking about them before I checked the price on advanced motorsports' site. Wow... but I can still dream.

So I wanted to ask if any of you other DucHEads have tried the Ducati Performance parts and what you think. Those carbon fiber high mount termis look killer... and I'm wondering if that engine performance kit is worth it. So let me know what you think!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have a pair of CF high exit Termis on my '97 750 ... along with an open airbox and a stage II jet kit (carbed - not a concern for you). It's one thing to put pipes on, but to make a difference in true performance, it helps to keep the whole combustion equation equal. i.e. If you're going to let it exhale more, let it inhale more and feed it equal parts air & fuel. I see so many bikes with just a slip-on that actually perform worse they did stock. So if it's performance you're looking consider modifying the airbox and throwing in a PCIII as well to handle the new exhaust and greater intake volume. Then you'll get more out of your new cans, instead of just looks.

BTW, the other nice side-effect of CF cans? After long rides when the temperature drops, or on cold mornings - you can get off the bike then immediately go warm up your hands by grabbing ahold of the CF (don't touch the metal!) on the cans.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
fasterdammit said:
BTW, the other nice side-effect of CF cans? After long rides when the temperature drops, or on cold mornings - you can get off the bike then immediately go warm up your hands by grabbing ahold of the CF (don't touch the metal!) on the cans.
WHY GET OFF THE BIKE?...on my high mount Ferracci/Silmotor Carbon Can set up....cold rides into work...I just reach back and hold the pipe in front of the can for a few seconds and VOILA!....easy at a light....while going down the road...the left hand is easy...tricky doing the right hand....I usually turn the fast idle lever all the way to raise up the idle and let the bike kinda pull itself at about 4K rpm's-ish and do the right hand!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fasterdammit said:
I It's one thing to put pipes on, but to make a difference in true performance, it helps to keep the whole combustion equation equal. i.e. If you're going to let it exhale more, let it inhale more and feed it equal parts air & fuel. I see so many bikes with just a slip-on that actually perform worse they did stock. So if it's performance you're looking consider modifying the airbox and throwing in a PCIII as well to handle the new exhaust and greater intake volume. Then you'll get more out of your new cans, instead of just looks.
Ok, so let's say I go with a more financially viable set of CF cans, like arrow or remus high mounts, could I still mod the airbox and use a PCIII to squeeze a little more joy out of it? Or would those pipes pretty much be strictly looks and noise?

Thanks!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Factor said:
Ok, so let's say I go with a more financially viable set of CF cans, like arrow or remus high mounts, could I still mod the airbox and use a PCIII to squeeze a little more joy out of it? Or would those pipes pretty much be strictly looks and noise?
No, IMO Arrow & Remus make a quality product, just like Termignoni. There are plenty of other options out there, too - some good, some less so. ;) I think part of the thing with Termis is the recognition factor; and they are recignized as a great exhaust system. They also come at a premium. But that doesn't diminish their competitors' qualities any. What's the difference between those brands? Besides their names, maybe the exhaust note - and that's a subjective factor, anyway - construction and materials, sure. But for what you're going to use them for, are you going to notice the difference (let's just take the brand name factor out of this equation)? Probably not. Regardless of what exhaust system you put on there, you're going to see a difference, especially if you build up all parts equally. Can you or I tell the difference between riding a Termi-equipped bike vs. an Arrow-equipped bike? Probably not. How about a Remus-equipped bike vs. stock. You bet. So if installing a pair of Arrows leaves enough $ in your wallet to enable the airbox/PC upgrades - that to me would be more worth it than to simultaneously get a pair of Termis and go broke.

Put it this way: whatever exhaust you decide to go with, do yourself and your bike a favor by making the most out of it by upgrading the rest of the combustion equation at the same time. What you don't want to do is create a bottleneck, either by having a large intake with no where to go (in a stock exhaust), or a reverse bottleneck, with a stock intake and an open exhaust.

Really, the pipes just let your engine exhale better. Think of breathing in through your nose and exhaling through your mouth. You don't have much of an exhale if you don't have much of ah inhale to begin with. So an exhaust system doesn't do much in terms of creating horsepower so much it allows access to more horsepower, by de-restricting the engine's performance.

Let us know what you decide to do, or of course, if you have more questions. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey man thanks for that info!

I think I will probably go with the Arrow high mounts in another month or so.

Do you know where I can find out more info about the airbox mod? I'd like to get as much detail on the open airbox, how it's done, and also the PCIII as possible.

Do you only need to use the PCIII one time? it runs around 300 so I would probably resell it if that's the case.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts