Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question.....do you really need an upgraded or reprogrammed ECU if you are to install a larger exhaust? Why does LeoVince, ZARD and others sell 57-60mm exhaust for a 999 for example, yet claim that these exhaust systems, although larger, work fine w/ the stock ECU? Wouldn't the stock ECU recalibrate on it's own in order for the system to perform properly in conjunction w/ the larger exhaust?
I found that when I installed a full system on my 999 along w/ a dedicated ECU it ran much better!...but did it really? it felt crisper, better, but was it ?
If an engine can only draw in so much air thru it's intakes, pass it thru the filter(s) into the carbs or TB then it's a moot point how large an exhaust you have on the engine.....so would going to larger exhaust, say 50 to a 57mm really need a revised ECU until first modifying the air intakes/airbox ?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
They say it because they want to sell as many exhausts as possible. If they say you must have a new ecu which costs at least some hundred euros plus tuning, it might scare one or two customers away.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want the best power out of your engine, there's no substitute for a dyno tune but it's got to be a tuneable (re-programmable) ECU. The factory units have limited abilities to re-calibrate to changed breathing capabilities.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Read post number 13 and 14 in this thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513847

It sums up the theory on why a change in exhaust diameter will effect the engine performance.

Basically, the increased diameter may fall inside of the engineered parameters of the engine as an overall system and therefore you MAY not require a new ECU. But....... the fineprint from other exhaust manufacturers are lacking on these details.

SF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts