Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just change two Ducati Performance slave clutch cylinder. First has stop working at 2000 miles. Replaced by dealer in warranty with a new one, 500 miles later .... same problem. This time they will replace it with a stock one. I don't want another DP slave cylinder on my bike again.
[email protected]#$% slave cylinder .... at how fast is the service here in USA, I will probably have to wait 2-3 weeks for it ..... again. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Stop your complaining and get an aftermarket one! Shit almost not worth the time to go to dealer.. Oberon would be my choice..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could buy one and change it my self, no big deal .... but then for what I have the warranty on this bike :| I am making the regular maintenance by my self, I have changed the belts on my old SS also, but this is a warranty issue that ducati should take care, and they will, someday .... but only god know when, cause we, mortals like me and the service manager could only wait for it.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Come on, man. $150 for an aftermarket slave. Two crush washers. Two wrenches. 1 Allen. A tube for bleeding. 15 minutes. No more bitching.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I just hate dealer down time, what is your time worth?
Fk warranty..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you guys are right ... I will change the damn cylinder by my self and fk the warranty. 150 doesn't worth two or three weeks without the bike.
But then again .... I wouldn't expect to such a bad quality from Ducati Performance parts :|

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I have good luck with MPL slave cylinder

·
Registered
276 Posts
I say Yoyodydne. It's made in Jersey. Never had problems with them.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Is this the cause of the repeated air in the clutch? The Slave? If so, I'm getting that Oberon unit.

TIA for answer.
The leak can come from the master cylinder, line, or faulty/reused crush washers, but the slave is definitely the weak link and by far the most common failure.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Oberon
EVR
STM
Yoyodyne

I think the Oberon is one of the very good values out there.

·
Registered
605 Posts
+1 for the Oberon....great unit, dead easy replacement

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I bought a DP unit and it is a total POS. I noticed when I went to install it that it doesn't seal to the crankcase like the OEM unit. The clutch actuation rod is open to all the grit and junk that comes off the chain. I was completely dumbfounded as to why it was designed this way.....I returned it.
The OEM is fine, although a blingy STM or Yoyodyne would be cool!

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I have an STM. Haven't had to bleed it since I installed it 2 years ago.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Didn't have any problem with the stock slave cylinder on the supersport ever. This DP one, as good as it looks, as bad it is. For now I have bought a used OEM to change it my self, and for the future maybe I will go with a OBERON. I see allot of people say good things about it.
ZDM is completely right, if I am taking another look on the unit design is a fault from the beginning from my point of view also, but it came with the bike and that's it :) If the bike wasn't in warranty I wouldn't complicate with the dealer, but it is blow my mind how a Ducati dealer could not have on stock a slave cylinder that is good on every Ducati bike. I wonder if they have oil or air filters on stock. I am afraid to ask about distribution belts :eek:

·
Old Fast Guy
488 Posts
Just change two Ducati Performance slave clutch cylinder. First has stop working at 2000 miles. Replaced by dealer in warranty with a new one, 500 miles later .... same problem. This time they will replace it with a stock one. I don't want another DP slave cylinder on my bike again.
[email protected]#$% slave cylinder .... at how fast is the service here in USA, I will probably have to wait 2-3 weeks for it ..... again. :mad:
Are you sure the pressure plate bearing isn't the root cause of slave failure? Let us know how long the latest OEM slave lasts...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
i had a similar problem with an original slave on a brand new 2000 monster, the mechanic said after the first time i took it back at 5000km to just bring it back every time it starts to leak and he'd replace the seal for me, i guess he hadn't heard or touring :abduct: so i took my slave to a brake shop and had a s/s sleeve put in it, they also machined the piston to fit a bigger seal, never leaked again. i did the same for my 916 stock slave. if you do go the aftermarket route, you may want to have a look in the hall of wisdom, there is a down side to smaller piston slaves which most of the aftermarket are.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts