Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone report on how an ST3 (2005 or later) performs with the Ducati Performance Carbon Fibre Cans and ECU from the 2005/2006 Ducati Accessory Catalogue?
I have observed one dyno chart from a 2005 ST3 fitted with these and while it shows an improvement in top end power there is significantly less midrange power.
Others with Staintunes fitted feel free to provide feedback on how the Staintunes perform on their ST3.
Cheers,
Deebee

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can't comment on the ST3 performance, but I can about the ST4S.

One word...........AWESOME!

Tons smoother in the power delivery, even power across the band, quite a bit of lower end improvement, top end gain, fantastic sound, and 3rd gear passing (mid-upper range) power is a HUGE gain. (I am talking about 50-90mph in a heartbeat!)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JH. Sounds great. having had a diet of two valve ducatis prior to my recent albeit limited 1200kms on my ST3 (due to the aformentioned EFI probs on this forum) it's great to experience the free revving nature of a liquid cooled multi valve engine. I might add that the dyno chart I observed did compare an ST4 as well and yes definitely a higher rpm edge over the ST3 and of course the two valve engine. Currently the dealer has been great in giving me their demo MTS1000DS as a ride to work (300km one way commute) while my ST3 gets sorted and while the 2 V engine is grunty it runs out of puff pretty quick compared to the ST3 as expected. Can't wait for the EFI to get fixed so I can get back on my own bike.
Safe riding,
Cheers,
Deebee

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Here are some thoughts from the Australian Brad Black, who does alot of work on the ST3. There may be some food for thought in the articles. On thing to remember is that Brad works closely with australian FIM (http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au)

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/st3base.html
Brad´s homepage said:
I expected the Ducati Performance kit ECU to fix the “lean with std ECU issue” but was sadly rather disappointed. I’m not sure if any of these kits have been fitted but I can’t imagine anyone being happy with the result. On the road at mid throttle roll ons the DP ECU is very nice, and in this trim it goes very close to taking the ‘easiest to wheelie’ title away from the Multistrada and Brutali. But go to full throttle and there’s a big hole under 7,000 RPM.
Green is STOCK
Red is DP ECU

Fuel/air is WAY off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

He has also done some camtiming/adjustable SFI ECU work to the ST3, which is VERY intresting!
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/st3camtimingtechlusion.html

Brad´s homepage said:
Now to compare it to the std bike – all the above work was done with an otherwise std bike – std mufflers and air filter. This was the bit I was interested in. The next graph shows
Green all std
Red is with the SFI settings at 3 + camtiming
Blue with the settings at 9 + camtiming

So I´d look at getting the cams dialed in and maybe going with a PowerCommander or Staintunes SFI adjustable ECU instead of the DP one.

I´ve seen alot of 4V and 2V bikes with redone camtiming and doing it doesn´t hurt the top end (maybe the extreme top end a little), but rather gives more "rideability", since you have more torque at any givven RPM. Camtiming isn´t hard. looking through the articles will give you some idea, but it´s a days work for any competent Ducati-tech. cost is also pretty low.

I hope it helps!

//amullo

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re the DP carbon can thing

Hi Amullo,
your attached dyno graphs are the exact ones I was referring to(from Moto-One in Victoria Australia I believe and I have been in email contact with Brad Black prior to this already). It's obvious if the dyno charts are indicative of a general response by all ST3's to fitment of these DP Cans and ECU that the resultant performance isn't necessarily what a sports Torurer/Rider would want (personal preference aside). Who needs a wheelie machine at 7000rpm when 6000rpm equates to >160km/hr in stock form anyway? I can understand some may wish to do this but not on a Sports Touring Motorcycle at the expense of mid range response.
Thanks for your response,
Deebee

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Hey Deebee..

If your looking to get your camsdialled, I´m sure Brad already mailed you the specs for what he uses. Since I´ve seen some bikes done, i´ll offer some advice.

If at all possible, go with the stock camwheels and use offset keys to achieve the camdialing you want. Ultimatly this is less of a hassle and more secure then fully adjustable camwheels.

I hope you gt it done.. Be sure to post up afterwards!

//amullo

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the dp kit on my 05 ST3. I am not sure about any differences in power from low to high or any from the stock pipes. I do know the bike sounds awesome, fast enough for me and can crack the throttle in 1st and raise the wheel up just like when I had the stock pipes on. I also had the wheel up in 2nd which I didn't try before with the stock pipes.
Bruce

·
Registered
187 Posts
Staintune ovals here. Perform? Who cares; the only reason I bought them was for sound. Yes, the sole reason was vanity. :) This engine has all the power necessary to make STing fun...

D

·
0 Posts
Staintunes have been on 3 of my Ducatis over the years. I have had 1 pair of Forzas and 1 pair of Two brothers carbon fiber. The Staintunes sound better to me and are maintenance free (no repacking). I put them on the '04 ST3 @ 1000 miles with a K&N air filter and woke it up bigtime. Power wheelies and greater midrange. You will never regret it.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I'm curious as to what the extra ponies does to gas mileage. How bad does it get? I have a '01 ST4 with K&N air filter but wouldn't mind a little more sound but hate to give up the great mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Carbon cans ST3

I have an ST3/ 2004, it came with Termi carbon cans, the ECU and air box mods with 1800klms on the clock, yes, barely fidden.
The performance is sensational, more than enough power, very smooth, great pick up and what a sound !!! I often park in Lygon street for lunch and starting the ST sets off car alarms for about 25 meters, very cool.

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
I have the DP exhaust, airbox&filter and ECU. There is not a noticeable drop in low-mid range power, with the ECU properly adjusted. Whne my dealer origianally installey the kit, the bike was running a bit rough. Some tweaks by the tech made the bike sound better, then he took it for a test ride. He came back and said it seems to be running fine, and said to let him know if there were any issues.

Once I took it for a ride, to be honest I didn't really notice much difference with regards to power. It SOUNDS faster, but I'd be hard pressed to say that it has any more power (or any less) than before anywhere in the rev range.

A fellow local forum member Steve (mollycbr123) has an 06 ST3 and recently made some comments on his impressions after we traded off for a bit of a ride. With the exception of a flat spot at low RPMs on his bike, we both agreed that there wasn't significant "seat of the pants" feel difference in power anywhere else. One day if I get a chance, I'll get mine dynoed just for S&Gs.

Best part is, it does sound faster :) Gas mileage is slightly lower, but I can't say that is all because of the ECU. I'd be willing to bet that I ride around in lower gears more often just to listen to the music. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts