Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like my other thread says I am looking to buy a 98 748, with a 916 motor. I would really like to do my own service... what is a GOOD book to be able to assist me in this endevour. i reaad the FAQ, and will but the haynes if i get the bike, what else? i saw a manual on EBAY. cd rom i believe.

the duc is my 1st choice, but reading all of threads on here makes me wonder if duc ownership is in my cards.... i could buy this bike and realistally have it sit in my garage for a couple of years because i cannot afford to fix things.

thanks for your time and.....

I really want this bike.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I've found that no matter which bike I own the factory service manuals are the best. More expensive, but they are step by step and list special tools, lubricants and thread lockers etc.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
see above on manuals.

as for owning a ducati know i may be some help. i got my 97 748 last february and spent about 1G on it because the previous owner did "zero' maintainance on the bike. i was in college, am currently unemployed b/c of a gnarly car accident back in october. i mention those two facts, school and money, because that is something to consider in fiscal conscerns (slim) and my example along with ducatis.

i've done the valves, oil changes (real tough), charging system ($5), fork oil, clutch, spockets, fuel pump, exhaust, crankcase, flywheel removal (which i'll try first thing in the morning), brake pads, and a couple other things all by myself and it wasn't very difficult.

the work on these bike are cake, by that i mean i love to do it. and they seem like they were made to be worked on. you own't be in the garage long on work, max for me was 3 weeks b/c i waited on parts.

it seems you have a bike picked out. get all service records, then know how the bike was run. someone like me who has a 748 and will put a 996 engine in later, means i beat my 748 up real good and won't be nice to the 996. so you got to wonder why there is a 916 in a 748 when the HP difference isn't so great.

if the bike checks out get it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
color-rado said:
the duc is my 1st choice, but reading all of threads on here makes me wonder if duc ownership is in my cards.... i could buy this bike and realistally have it sit in my garage for a couple of years because i cannot afford to fix things.

thanks for your time and.....

I really want this bike.
i think that answers your question there.remember even if you do your own service work ,there will still be tune ups where you need the mathus(spelling?) tires etc.most find running costs around 1500 a year,then add insurance etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you want a 748 with a 916 motor put in it, you better do your own work, and be very good at it, unless you have very deep pockets. The nearest dealership will light fireworks and pop champagne every time they see you coming for service.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Lucille8 said:
If you want a 748 with a 916 motor put in it, you better do your own work, and be very good at it, unless you have very deep pockets. The nearest dealership will light fireworks and pop champagne every time they see you coming for service.
On what basis do you make that statement?

The 916 and 748 engine are, for all practical servicereasons, identical. 748´s and 916´s have the same intervall, the same cambelts, rockers, fuelinjection and so on.. A dealer should not charge more simply because you have another engine in the bike.

//amullo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all of the input... The bike has a 916 motor and all of the accosiated parts that came on the 916 that year.... for all practical purposes the bike is a 916, exept for the title. I am going to go look over the bike one more time and check the reciepts, service records. i hope this will clear up my decision for me.

thanks guys, i apprecieate the advice... :D

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
color-rado said:
thanks for all of the input... The bike has a 916 motor and all of the accosiated parts that came on the 916 that year.... for all practical purposes the bike is a 916, exept for the title. I am going to go look over the bike one more time and check the reciepts, service records. i hope this will clear up my decision for me.

thanks guys, i apprecieate the advice... :D

Might make a difference if you knew what year 916 motor it is. I vote for the 95 motor.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
note also that you will need to get some special tools (or have some made) to do some of the maintenance.

i do some of my stuff but leave the heavy stuff for the pro's. FWIW, i've seen a lot of ducs have problems due to incompetent tech's - ducati and otherwise. a good tech will go a long way in you enjoying the bike and not being in parts in the garage.

I'd ease into doing your own maintenance. eventually you can do evreything but don't assume you'll be able to do it right after you get the bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
service

Last Fall I purchased a 2000 748 with 6500 miles; the 6000 service had not been done yet. I figured: no big deal, I can handle that. Well, I changed the oil before putting it to bed for the winter and noticed flakes in the screen.

The easy maintenance is fairly easy on these bikes. The harder stuff: pulling heads, pistons and jugs are a PIA. I ended up replacing all of my rockers and decided to pull the heads to facillitate that endevor. Upon pulling the heads one can not help but to disturb the base gasket which will now need to be replaced.
The new head gaskets were $145 for a pair of stamped out tin(?) wafers!

Needless to say, the bike is finished and runs like a top. I am pretty good at swinging wrenches, but I can see where even a certified tech has numerous opportunity to screw up on one of these. They suck to work on. It would be easier to change motors out than to tear this one apart in the bike.

I guess if you have plenty of spare time, a heated workshop and a bike table: it would make things a lot better.

I used the Haynes and CD version of the Ducati Repair Manuals.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I say this because the 748 and the 916 donors were probably trashed. No mater how similar the 748/916, there is bound to be minor revisions in the electrical and fuel systems, ect. I would trust only a team mechanic to build it and have it sorted properly. Plus, he lives in a cold climate away from any dealership. After 13yrs with Ducatis (presently a 998 and 900ss sp) I can say they don't like cold weather or salt residue on the roads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts